Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM

237 posts, read 329,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Mexicans really flooded into NYC at the beginning of 2000 as the building boom began...they were lured here for all the construction jobs and many were already here in the restaurant and supermarket industry. They are the only people I can ever get to do work for me, as the local ("native") Blacks and Hispanics not only have zero skills, they are too busy standing around doing nothing. And since their bills are paid since they are still living at home or via a variety of government programs, they have no interest/not incentivized in doing much of anything.

That is the reality of why Mexicans have flooded into the city and have become dominant in so many industries...they want to work. You will see both Mexicans, and "native" Hispanics and Blacks standing around outside at 6 am. The difference? One group is looking for work, the other has been standing outside all night smoking/fighting/dealing. Truth hurts...but it is reality.
The only reality I see is the depth of the racism in this post. "native", lol. you talk about us black folk like you're a white hunter on safari in africa. I suppose, in your small mind, that's how you see yourself..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ seansean I'll give you that his post doesn't sound "native" friendly but you misunderstand sobroguy's posts... If you've read his other stuff he is not racist at all... In fact he is the one at the forefront most of the time arguing against racist and stereotypical posts... That being said... unfortunately there is some truth to what he says... Mexicans aren't perfect, believe me I live right next to Bushwick and I see them drunk and hassling women all the time... but they are also hard-workers and they're always looking to work wherever they have a chance...

Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 AM

237 posts, read 329,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ seansean I'll give you that his post doesn't sound "native" friendly but you misunderstand sobroguy's posts... If you've read his other stuff he is not racist at all... In fact he is the one at the forefront most of the time arguing against racist and stereotypical posts... That being said... unfortunately there is some truth to what he says... Mexicans aren't perfect, believe me I live right next to Bushwick and I see them drunk and hassling women all the time... but they are also hard-workers and they're always looking to work wherever they have a chance...
I don't need you to "give me" anything, my interpretation of this post is correct. Generalizations like the one in the post are obviously misleading, and give a false impression of an entire culture, as opposed to individuals or a specific group of individuals that the poster may have encountered. intellectually dishonest.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
The main reason why Mexicans (although this applies to ALL illegal aliens) come to NYC is actually pretty simple: It's a Sanctuary City. They come because they can and because they will get work and they won't get questioned on their immigration status.

Sanctuary city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
seansean, you are right in that if I were talking about an entire population, and you took my psot literally, then yes, that would be a generalization that would be false. Maybe I should have prefaced the comment with "where I live"....because where I live, the ones banging on my door looking for work are always Mexicans/Central Americans, and the few times I beg the "locals" to work, they either don't show up or just don't care.

This does not represent the entire population, but it represents years and years of my experiences in the nieghborhood trying to get locals to work...and by locals I mean the young black and hispanic youth who prefer standing around doing nothing than earning anything. Do I believe ALL black and hispanic youth are like that..of course not, but where I am it is absolutely the case..they are disaffected youth, and when you have nothing to lose, i.e. all your bills are paid and you have no responsibility to anything/yourself, why should you do anything?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 AM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
seansean, you are right in that if I were talking about an entire population, and you took my psot literally, then yes, that would be a generalization that would be false. Maybe I should have prefaced the comment with "where I live"....because where I live, the ones banging on my door looking for work are always Mexicans/Central Americans, and the few times I beg the "locals" to work, they either don't show up or just don't care.

This does not represent the entire population, but it represents years and years of my experiences in the nieghborhood trying to get locals to work...and by locals I mean the young black and hispanic youth who prefer standing around doing nothing than earning anything. Do I believe ALL black and hispanic youth are like that..of course not, but where I am it is absolutely the case..they are disaffected youth, and when you have nothing to lose, i.e. all your bills are paid and you have no responsibility to anything/yourself, why should you do anything?
Maybe because you're not paying the so-called black and Hispanic youth the minimum wage that you're not paying the illegal labor. I can't really blame the youth for not working, especially since there's no regulations in place and there's rampant discrimination towards minorities!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Maybe because you're not paying the so-called black and Hispanic youth the minimum wage that you're not paying the illegal labor. I can't really blame the youth for not working, especially since there's no regulations in place and there's rampant discrimination towards minorities!!!
Why does everyone assume illegal immigrants all work for under minimum wage?

Anyways, one just needs to get on the 7 train at like 5 am on a saturday morning... and you'll see who's coming home drunk and who's going to work. (Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans and Asians)

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Throughout the US history, Mexicans were widespread in the Sunbelt region. You would be very lucky to find one anywhere in the North East of the US. Now years later, the Mexican population in NYC is growing.
If it will help your knowledge base any (you do put that word in your screen name, after all), Chicago has had a large Mexican population for quite a few years. And the last time I checked my atlas, Chicago doesn't qualify as a Sunbelt city.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM

359 posts, read 329,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Of New York View Post

Beginning about 1984 until 2000, about 2 million immigrants arrived in NYC, consisting primarily of Chinese, Jamaican, Guyanese, Mexican and Ecuadorian in that order. The majority were attracted to NYC as a result of the beginning of the financial turn around, the building boom, and better wages (construction, neighborhood revitalization, new housing markets throughout the five boroughs as well as New Jersey and Connecticut) It was many of these newly arrived immigrants that filled the positions in construction and countless other service jobs in significant numbers that helped accelerate expansion and growth. The success of the city's economic and infrastructural advances in this period attracted further population growth. This has always been the dynamic and the cycle, with only the source of immigration changing over time.

NYC’s economic base and workforce has traditionally included residents from 7 additional counties in both NJ & Conn. and the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, and Long Island as well as the 5 boroughs, amounting to roughly 19 to 22 million people in the city’s business/retail and employment tax base, not the 8 million most folks erroneously site.
Also keep in mind that many who come here from all cultural backgrounds are joining already long established residents and communities consisting of family and friends. These connections are the most common sources for information on jobs and living accommodations before arrival. The further away one comes from, the greater this factor comes into play. Work and wages have always been the biggest attractors for the majority of immigrants in all groups. The amount of minimum wage here has usually always been greater than wages in most other places outside of the country, though the higher average for cost of living tends to make this difference a moot point in a lot of cases.

Another current driving factor for some Mexican’s from the southwest in particular has to do with the gang violence along the Border States (believe it or not, gang members tend not to give a damn whether you're another gang member or not when committing crime and conducting "wars.") Many innocent Mexicans are also wrongly caught in the immigration reforms that are being discussed and implemented. As a result of the false generalizations being made about this issue (mostly from local private groups), it has a negative impact on completely decent, legal and long established Mexican residents who now seem suspect to those who insist on “those people” being all the same. If someone were making threatening assumptions about my character based on unfounded generalities I’d probably want to find a less threatening environment too.
Despite the visible growth in the Mexican population of New York, population records for 2005 show the largest ethnic groups in the city to be African, Puerto Rican, Italian, West Indian, Dominican, Chinese, Irish, Russian, and German.

"They pop out of nowhere overnight and cause all sorts of problems."
"Blacks and Hispanics not only have zero skills, they are too busy standing around doing nothing." "...standing outside all night smoking/fighting/dealing..." These generalizations are good examples of the kind of mindset that sees nothing but ill coming from entire groups. These heavily opinionated statements read like lines out of a racist induction manual, not objective considerations of facts/ ("they" i.e. all of them, regardless)

Blacks and Hispanics, as members of the city’s population are no different to any other races and cultures which make up the entire population. Every group includes those who are not exactly desirable as residents and neighbors. It's always a bad idea to take a bad example and spread it across an entire group. That's called bigotry.
The term “Hispanic” by the way, refers to Spanish, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central and South American cultures. I seriously doubt all or even a significant number of “Hispanics” have ‘zero skills.’
The way some folks pose the issue, you would think there was no such thing as decent Mexicans or other Hispanic groups with good families anywhere in the tri-state area, let alone the entire U.S. The actions of one or some people tell us absolutely nothing about others in that cultural group. This kind of ignorance, like the argument of eugenics, has no place in a factually complex issue or a decent society.

“Non-Hispanic Whites Are Now a Minority in the 23-County New York Region”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/nyregion/28nycensus.html
THIS is what the internet is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City