Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 PM

19 posts, read 72,909 times

Advertisements

So apparently a new Verizon iPhone is coming out later this month or early next month, so I'm thinking about getting it. Is AT&T really bad in Manhattan? Is Verizon much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,497 times
AT&T has more or less perfect coverage in Manhattan in my experience. Verizon is probably better for remote areas or even suburbs, but AT&T and Verizon are pretty much the same in NYC (and in most urban areas, I think).

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 01-08-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
I have verizon and I always seem to have better service than my friends that have AT&T. I actually know a lot of people who have a lot of problems with AT&T. I am glad I held out for the Verizion Iphone

Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM

86 posts, read 247,261 times
I have an iPhone and I hope the Verizon iPhone gets here ASAP. I moved from Ohio to NYC 2 months ago and Ive had nothing but problems with AT&T since the move. I dont get any service at work (I work in Manhattan). People at work who have Verizon dont seem to have any problems getting service. I live in the Bronx and cant get any service in certain parts of my apartment. People call me and text me...sometimes I get the messages hours later and sometimes not at all. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
This from what I have read from gadget websits like gizmodo and engadget. Atat network in NYC, LA, and San Francisco is heavly congested with iphone users. In NYC I cant remember the numbers but its in fact that 1 in 4 New Yorkers own an iphone which runs only on atat network. Thats almost equpivalent to every AA or Jew in NYC holding an iphone alone. WIth the Verizon iphone soon it might be 1 in 3 New Yorkers with the iphone. It almost worse in Manhattan since many european tourist and out of staters use thier gsm on atat network congesting it even more. Verizon is very consistent, decent speeds, decent coverage what more can a consumer or subscriber ask for. I would love to switch over to big red myself but right now Im on sprint and I love my evo 4g, which can do so many things more then the iphone 4 and even stops bullets like it did to an Atlanta bouncer. This upcoming tuesday is going to big day for the gadget world, sadly just one stupid phone makes more noise then an entire consumer technology convention which took place last week in Vegas. There was also a survery that said 33 percent of atat users primeraly new yorkers are upset at the iphone service on the network and will leave to another carrier. Many NEw Yorkers have money and will pay the etf canceliation fee to move to another carrier. As for Verizon I dont really know if apple can save them they lost 4million subscribers to atat and sprint this past year. Verizon is dissapointed with the andriod os interms of sales and growth. The Verizon iphone is the iphone 4 with a cdma chipset from qualcomm and with a possible LTE 4g antenna. My thing is this when Verizon gets the iphone all I see is a whole bunch of Yuppies and Hipsters jumping over to big red from big blue on day one. Hipstamatic app FTW.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-08-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel420 View Post
I have an iPhone and I hope the Verizon iPhone gets here ASAP. I moved from Ohio to NYC 2 months ago and Ive had nothing but problems with AT&T since the move. I dont get any service at work (I work in Manhattan). People at work who have Verizon dont seem to have any problems getting service. I live in the Bronx and cant get any service in certain parts of my apartment. People call me and text me...sometimes I get the messages hours later and sometimes not at all. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon.
tmobile and atat voice and 3g protocal is very weak, it really cant penetrate through buildings compared to sprint and verizon cdma voice and evdo rev a 3g protocal which is not fast however you get signals in the least expected places. I had a tenant who was stuck in the basement for 1 day1, she tried to use her iphones 911 app it never worked cause there was no signal, days before she had sprint and sprint works in the basement in my building. Even thouogh being stuck in the basement risking her life was no enough to give up her iphone. I was ten miles out in the atlantic fishing boats, all I could see is Brooklyn and staten Island and rockaway Queens, I was the only one that had cell phone service while everyone else was out of range except for sprint and verizon users. Whats great about sprint and verizon you can roam freely off of each others network for free, voice and data.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
Who will offer the best 4G network and the best iPhone

4G Networks

Sprint: 3-6 Mbps speed
(the first 4G network)

T-Mobile: 5-8 Mbps speed
(the largest 4G network)

Verizon: 5-12 Mbps speed
(the fastest 4G network) (the most advanced 4G network)

AT&T will launch it's 4G network in mid 2011. It will be the only carrier to have a 4G network with 2 layers for 4G speeds. One layer, HSPA+ will deliver up to 7.2 Mbps of speed. 100% of AT&T coverage is being equipped to this. The other layer, LTE, will be even faster once released.

So who will have the best 4G network?

AT&T. Because it's HSPA+ network will deliver speeds on par with Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon's 4G Network. While it's LTE network, same technology as Verizon's, will be even faster than that. Also, AT&T is currently sporting the slogans (AT&T. The Nation's Fastest. Period.) and (The Nation's Fastest Mobile Broadband Network). Thats something to keep in mind. With AT&T's 2 layer 4G Network, the mobile broadband experience would be more smoother and consistent. Also, AT&T will have the largest selection of 4G smartphones by mid 2011.

AT&T iPhone vs. Verizon IPhone

Well, I'll just tell you this.

Although Verizon has a 4G Network, a 4G iPhone is unlikely to be created until 2012. This means, Verizon's iPhone will use Verizon's 3G mobile broadband. However, AT&T's HSPA+ network, one layer of it's 4G Network, offers "4G like" mobile broadband speeds that is compatible with the iPhone. This means, AT&T iPhones will have MUCH faster speeds.

Verizon's Path
iPhone 4 (and the iPhone 5) will have Verizon's 3G speeds

AT&T's Path
iPhone (3G, 3GS, 4) (and the iPhone 5) will have "4G like" speeds with the HSPA+ network, which is 4x faster than it's 3G mobile broadband.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
I'll just say this. . .

I've had an iPhone since 2007 (Original, 3GS, and now the 4). With AT&T, never unlocked/jailbreak. This should answer your question. =)

Seriously though people think, Verizon will be so much better, but the reason AT&T has problems is because it's MILLIONS of users using 1 phone at the same time! I don't think the coverage would be much of a difference on Verizon honestly. AT&T has been NOTHING but a pleasant experience for me and I highly doubt I'll leave for Verizon. The customer service I get from AT&T tops in my opinion. I've yet to hear "great" things about Verizon to make me want to switch instantly.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 AM

19 posts, read 72,909 times
Um, thanks for all the responses... perhaps I should clarify, I'm more interested in anecdotal evidence and people's firsthand experiences with the two carriers rather than explanations of the technology and technical specifications

Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
"Anecdotal evidence"

I will happily provide links and articles to back my claims once their credibility is attacked.
However, for now on I will provide them.

"Firsthand experiences"

In August 2009, I got the iPhone 3GS, and I kept it on AT&T's network.

I didnt have any problems with AT&T. I enjoyed the speeds and coverage. I always had my 3G turned off until I actually needed it, and because it drained battery life. Also, AT&T's EDGE network was fast enough. I had good service from from the island of Alameda, CA, through the underwater tunnels (nearly 1 mile long) into Oakland, CA all the way into Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park.

My bill was $80 give or take. But with the new data plans, pick the cheapest, and subtract $15 from my bill, making it $65 give or take.

Coverage in Manhattan

One of the busiest places makes one of the most congested data traffic places.
AT&T was known to have "somewhat bad" 3G coverage in Manhattan. However, AT&T, the nation's largest Wi-Fi network, decided to deploy Wi-Fi hotzones through out the borrough.

"Our initial AT&T Wi-Fi hotzones have received great customer response and supported high data traffic," said John Donovan, AT&T chief technology officer. "The pilot demonstrated the clear benefits of having fast and readily-available Wi-Fi options for our customers and our network, and so we have decided to deploy hotzones in more locations."

AT&T To Expand Wi-Fi Access in NY, San Francisco - International Business Times

So, with these Wi-Fi hotzones, you dont really need a 3G coverage. Although, AT&T has improved their 3G coverage over New York City anyway.

The network enhancement includes the addition of new layers of frequency, also known as "carriers," to more efficiently manage available spectrum and increase 3G capacity. The additions have been applied to nearly all cell sites in Manhattan and in other areas as needed throughout the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. The result is an increased allocation of network resources for AT&T's 3G network to support ever-growing demand for mobile broadband services.

"In New York City, we've added a layer of high-performing 850 MHz spectrum to deploy more radio capacity and enhance in-building coverage throughout the city. As of the first quarter of 2010, we've seen two consecutive quarters of strong voice quality improvements in New York according to internal measurements. In Manhattan, quality improved 47 percent quarter over quarter."

AT&T Expands Wireless Capacity for 3G Mobile Broadband Network in Manhattan and Throughout... -- NEW YORK, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

How fast is AT&T

Well, AT&T's mobile broadband network is 60% faster than Verizon's mobile broadband network.

The "scientifically valid national drive testing", conducted by Global Wireless Solutions Inc. (GWS), compiles wireless performance across 950,000 road miles, covering 400 U.S. markets that represent 88 percent of the country's population. Across this standard, GWS found AT&T to be the fastest mobile broadband network, 20 percent faster than T-Mobile and 60 percent faster than Verizon.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+ATT+...ticle20225.htm

Last edited by Stephen1110; 01-09-2011 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City