Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 29,073 times

Advertisements

Currently I wish to learn radiology (medical imaging) in Manhattan. That being said, from the information I have received from several websites, I found that most are inaccurate or something that I don't wish to study from (I.E. Community colleges). I want to know if there are any respectable schools in Manhattan (or anywhere in New York City) that teach a 4 year under graduate radiology course and is not a community college.

Thank you in advance

-K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,452 times
Sorry I only see something on Clarkson Avenue in Brooklyn

Quote:
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
450 Clarkson Ave
Brooklyn, NY, 11203
Bachelors Programs offered: Bachelors in Medical Radiologic Technology / Science – Radiation Therapist
Source: Radiology Technician Schools in New York (NY) : Accredited Programs (http://www.radiologytechnicianschools.com/radiology-technician-schools-in-new-york/ - broken link)

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeathan View Post
Currently I wish to learn radiology (medical imaging) in Manhattan. That being said, from the information I have received from several websites, I found that most are inaccurate or something that I don't wish to study from (I.E. Community colleges). I want to know if there are any respectable schools in Manhattan (or anywhere in New York City) that teach a 4 year under graduate radiology course and is not a community college.

Thank you in advance

-K
What you appear to be looking for is an accredited, hospital-based
medical radiography program, is that right? Are you interested in Diagnostic Radiography (X-Ray Tech)? Ultrasound? Nuclear Medicine? Something else?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
I didn't think you needed a 4 year degree to do radiology, but maybe it depends what kind. My friend does radiology and she wasn't in school for that long.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 29,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
What you appear to be looking for is an accredited, hospital-based
medical radiography program, is that right? Are you interested in Diagnostic Radiography (X-Ray Tech)? Ultrasound? Nuclear Medicine? Something else?
Yes, I am looking for X-Ray Tech

Old 02-20-2011, 09:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeathan View Post
Yes, I am looking for X-Ray Tech
There's the Bartone School at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn for starters. I'll look around for hospital based programs in Manhattan. Most programs are two years. By the way, your talking about Radiography, not Radiology.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 47,472 times
It's actually the Radiologic Technician program she must be looking for. Right now it is a 2 year course associate's but as of 2015 you will have to go for 4 years and get a bachelor's. I was looking into the whole thing but apparently after talking to a bunch of the techs they say don't waste your time. There's no jobs and the program is hard to get into since there are so many people.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM

223 posts, read 615,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arica22 View Post
It's actually the Radiologic Technician program she must be looking for. Right now it is a 2 year course associate's but as of 2015 you will have to go for 4 years and get a bachelor's. I was looking into the whole thing but apparently after talking to a bunch of the techs they say don't waste your time. There's no jobs and the program is hard to get into since there are so many people.
I have to agree from what I discovered from my research into the field. I thought it would be a good career option for me and with the postitive outlook projective by the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) it seemed like a great option. But then I found out that most programs are only offered during the day and are full time for 2 years which is kinda tough when you have rent and bills to pay.

But more importantly, what I got from various message boards was that people who went through programs across the country could not find work for months or even years! Some speculated that the positive outlook is given to the OOH by the AART (American Asso. Rad. Tech.) and the like to get more graduates to become accredited and pay dues to the various accrediting agencies .

PS - And this goes for all of the radiologic/x-ray/imaging jobs.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arica22 View Post
It's actually the Radiologic Technician program she must be looking for.

[skipped text]

There's no jobs and the program is hard to get into since there are so many people.
there are also small health risks built-in to the job, right? am i off base?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM

13 posts, read 47,472 times
I would think there would be more of a health risk in the field I am choosing instead of the Rad Tech program..... Medical Lab Tech...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: