Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times

Advertisements

State Law Would Require Bicycle Licenses for All New Yorkers: Gothamist

Is there a reason that DenDekker is in office? Is there a reason I should pay my next estimated tax check to cover the salary of the idiot and his staff who wrote this lunacy?

Given that NY leads the nation in people leaving the state/net loss of population, I am at my own breaking point after 40+ years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Ugh...more relentless regulations and another revenue stream for the city aka more fees for city resdents. If they are trying to encourage alternatives to cars, like riding bikes, this is the worst way to do it. Who wants to pay for a registration, plates, and inspection which will cost us every year, and every year it will go up and up....as will the ticketing as a source of revenue as well.

These are the things that are causing me to think twice about the city also...I am being feed/ticketed/surcharged to death.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
You wait patiently for the people to rise up and throw these clowns out of office. Yet it never seems to happen.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The clock may be ticking...revolution seems to be en vogue for 2011....it may be coming to a city near you!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Pandering to the 'Transplant' vote!

Why is it we never had much of a 'bycle' issue til the Transplant infestation?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Well I am an avid cyclist I think that this makes sense ONLY for commercial riders--messengers, delivery guys, and the like. People who ride their bikes for a living and can't manage to stay off of sidewalks, not stop at red lights, or scare the hell out of people by coming the wrong way down a one-way street need an incentive to ride correctly.

Last edited by citylove101; 03-01-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
grant516

n/a posts
If a Bicycle goes in the street, I see no reason it SHOULDN'T have registration.

It uses the road, causes accidents, disobeys traffic violations... there's no reason they shouldn't have to pay their way and be accountable.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Well I am an avid cyclist I think that this makes sense ONLY for commercial riders--messengers, delivery guys, and the like. People who ride their bikes for a living and can't manage to stay off of sidewalks, not stop at red lights, or scare the hell out of people by coming the wrong way down a one-way street need an incentive to ride correctly.
I agree with you. Commercial riders only.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

132 posts, read 446,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
If a Bicycle goes in the street, I see no reason it SHOULDN'T have registration.

It uses the road, causes accidents, disobeys traffic violations... there's no reason they shouldn't have to pay their way and be accountable.
I totally disagree!
1. First of all do you even have a bicycle?
2. Why should you have to pay for personal recreation and exercise? That's just insane!
3. Bicycles don't use gasoline so there's no polution
4. Would you like to register yourself for walking? A lot of people cross on the red and use cell phones while crossing the street not paying attention to traffic that's about to run them over.

Soon there will be a tax for breathing the polluted air in NY. GET A LIFE!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
If a Bicycle goes in the street, I see no reason it SHOULDN'T have registration. It uses the road, causes accidents, disobeys traffic violations... there's no reason they shouldn't have to pay their way and be accountable.
Is this guy Dendekker?

First off, I pay taxes which are used by the roads. Oh, yeah, I also have an MTA surcharge on my phone, which was supposed to be a short-term, temporary tax in 1982, but never seemed to get repealed.

Perhaps since I occasionally cross the street, I should also have to wear a license plate on my rear-end, and be ticketed for not walking on the right side of the cross-way....

Perhaps I should just use my kids' Big Wheels instead of my folder so I can skirt the new laws...

If this atrocity passes, not only will I refuse compliance with the law - but I will use every ounce of my strength to wholesale remove the entire government of NYC/NYS and anyone responsible for passing it.

I see right through this nonsense, it is a game to grab more tax revenue so as to create another government agency to pack with the children of campaign supporters and loyal workers who will be shortly unionized - and then can provide the same animal politicians who passed this garbage campaign dollars and bought-for votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City