Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM

75 posts, read 146,143 times

Advertisements

I think you need to give it time. Being young, NYC is all you ever have known. You left your friends behind. People are phony everywhere. Hang in there and try to relax and find the good where you are. Where in NC are you? They have some excellent schools there!! Can you get involved in a group at school? Are you working?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I am a NYC native (and unfortunately still stuck here). I admit, I don't like NC much and I couldn't see myself living in most parts of the "south" but your post is just rude.

I plan on moving out west, and I'm not expecting it to be just like NYC. I know there will be major adjustments for me to make, but you know what, I will deal with it.

I love when NYers say "hey at least I'm real". That's their favorite word "real". No, you're not real, you are RUDE. People can be two faced and phoney everywhere including NYC.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM

159 posts, read 406,857 times
You were excited about driving a car, and are now irritated by the fact that you do.

You were excited about people being nicer down here, but are now irritated by the fact that they are.

"And I started to believe that NYC was bad...."

You sound very young and immature.

You are most certainly RIDICULOUS.

Btw, "months" is not possessive in your context.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM

159 posts, read 406,857 times
"Another thing is that folks paint the south as rural and backwards. What they don't realize is that many places in the NE are the same way outside of the major cities. You have rednecks, extremely rural areas, etc up north too. So that is not really specific to the south either. To add to that point many folks take pride in their rural areas up north but insult the south for it."

This gets a resounding "HELL, YES". Try driving 2-3 hours outside of NYC proper. It'll put you in the mood to watch "Deliverance".

Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
This gets a resounding "HELL, YES". Try driving 2-3 hours outside of NYC proper. It'll put you in the mood to watch "Deliverance".
Last I checked driving 2-3 hours outside of where I live in Manhattan, might... put me in Central Queens.

It's always an adjustment moving places- though this girl does NOT sound like she really was interested in driving, or living in a big house.

Those are two things that are absolutely fantastic experiences if you're into them... and if you're not, might as well be crammed into a city like New York where those things can be downright challenging unless you're a member of the 200K+ club.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM

106 posts, read 263,198 times
Lol what part of NC was this because Charlotte is actually nice imo, i understand the south thing about diversity because there is none and i can relate to the sandles with socks smh they do that alot here in VA and the girls have no fashion sense either and do ppl smile at your face alot when u walk by?

Last edited by Skratch; 03-08-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

12 posts, read 25,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Last I checked driving 2-3 hours outside of where I live in Manhattan, might... put me in Central Queens.

It's always an adjustment moving places- though this girl does NOT sound like she really was interested in driving, or living in a big house.

Those are two things that are absolutely fantastic experiences if you're into them... and if you're not, might as well be crammed into a city like New York where those things can be downright challenging unless you're a member of the 200K+ club.
Not a girl dude. Far from it. And I'm not even that interested in them anyway. Good luck trying to convince me though...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
even the NY times likes Durham

The 41 Places to Go in 2011 - NYTimes.com

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I don't know what to say about this thread, other than people have certain expectations of places and rarely does it actually coincide with real life....the same applies for those dreaming of their perfect job and Sex And the City lifestyle in NYC, only to have a crappy job and live in a less than desireable part of the city with roommates you probably won't like.

I think those that are most successful/happy leaving NYC and going to places like NC are those who are working poor-working class ($20,000-$40,000 per year incomes) who can have a substantially better life than in NYC, or those at the end of their careers/retiring. If you are young, you won't like it.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM

22 posts, read 61,644 times
Where in NC did you move?

NYC is definitely a faster pace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City