Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times

Advertisements

I know of proposals for light rail around the city that have included:

1. A loop around the Financial District in Manhattan.
2. A tunnel replacing the Gowanus Expressway
3. A crosstown line between Brooklyn and Queens along the right-of-way of the old LIRR freight line.

All of these would be useful. The problem is, nobody should hold their breath expecting any of them to see the light (pun unintended but unavoidable) of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,959,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis4jersey View Post
it would only work on si were the population isn't that built up.....and maybe the out boroughs....also li. My state plans on constructing another 160 miles of electric light rail lines over the next decade and over 250 miles of diesel light rail in the south jersey.
agreed

Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I know of proposals for light rail around the city that have included:

1. A loop around the Financial District in Manhattan.
2. A tunnel replacing the Gowanus Expressway
3. A crosstown line between Brooklyn and Queens along the right-of-way of the old LIRR freight line.

All of these would be useful. The problem is, nobody should hold their breath expecting any of them to see the light (pun unintended but unavoidable) of day.
The TriboroRX (which would be a crosstown line on the old LIRR right of way) sounds like a great idea.

I'm not sure what the point of #1 is. Isn't the Financial District packed with subways already? And there's not much space for light rail with the narrowness of the streets.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

556 posts, read 1,447,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The TriboroRX (which would be a crosstown line on the old LIRR right of way) sounds like a great idea.

I'm not sure what the point of #1 is. Isn't the Financial District packed with subways already? And there's not much space for light rail with the narrowness of the streets.
I love the TriboroRX. The q44 gets old real quick lol.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM

86 posts, read 307,199 times
The Triboro RX idea won't work. The LIRR branch there still sees freight service. Subway service would interfere with the freight service on the line. It would be better if the Triboro RX was brought back as a LIRR passenger branch like it used to be in the 1920's.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
The Triboro RX idea won't work. The LIRR branch there still sees freight service. Subway service would interfere with the freight service on the line.
That isn't necessarily true. I believe the original proposal called for Triboro RX to replace the freight trains using that line, not compete with it.

Bringing back the old LIRR passenger service is more pie-in-the-sky than anything else. It sounds all wonderful and nostalgic, but it's so unlikely that we shouldn't even waste our time talking about it.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,898,010 times
There should build a ring commuter line , form Elizabeth,NJ - Bayonne - Staten Island - Bay Ridge - Kensington Park - Canarsie - Ridgewood - Merges with the LIRR Main line......it would be better then a subway....and would use part of the Tri-boro RX..plan.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM

86 posts, read 307,199 times
You do know that railroads and subways can't run together do you?.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There should build a ring commuter line , form Elizabeth,NJ - Bayonne - Staten Island - Bay Ridge - Kensington Park - Canarsie - Ridgewood - Merges with the LIRR Main line......it would be better then a subway....and would use part of the Tri-boro RX..plan.
I think a subway would be better for local trips (esp ones between the outer boroughs). I suspect triboro rx would be cheaper than the 2nd avenue subway.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,898,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think a subway would be better for local trips (esp ones between the outer boroughs). I suspect triboro rx would be cheaper than the 2nd avenue subway.
It would also allow for another Freight connection form the Mainland to LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City