Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM

133 posts, read 466,571 times

Advertisements

As a regular train rider I have noticed many things that are lacking in NY when it comes to mass transit in the NY area. I was wondering what you think is most needed to improve mass transit/getting around NY?

Here are a few of my own:
1) A connection from Grand Central to Penn Station and an agreement amoung the different railroads to sell one trip tickets. It is ridiculous that you have to go a mile to get to the other railroad station and that there is no direct link. Having to buy 2 different tickets to get from one suburb to another also discourages train travel and keeps people in their cars.

2) A subway shuttle from the east to west side. Crosstown buses go at walking speed and are slowed down by people too lazy to walk a block. If they are going to keep buses, the MTA should add express crosstown buses that ONLY stop at subway transfer locations.

3) Since the MTA is building the 2nd ave line, why not finish the job and connect it not only to the 4/5/6 at 125th but also to the west A/C/B/D. It would uptown travel much easier.

Light Rail Suggestions:
207th-Fordham Road - this route is served by the only rapid bus line in the city but is still too slow for such an important route (crosses all uptown subway lines and 3 Metro North lines). 40k+ passengers a day travel this route.

34th St - I believe the railroad tracks prevent a subway shuttle here so light rail may be a good way to solve the SLOW xtown bus problem.

Hudon Bergen Extension to SI Ferry - would make getting around SI much easier w/o a car and help w/ SI Expressway traffic.

125th St to Laguardia Airport - light rail/airtrain could make getting to the airport easier via the RFK Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
A subway shuttle from the East Side to the West Side? I take it you mean other than the one already running below 42 Street.

Re: 2nd Avenue subway. What's about to be built is only a scaled-down version of the original proposal. It wasn't supposed to terminate at 125 Street, but instead, run all the way up to Pelham Bay Park in The Bronx. Of course, since BMT trains are two feet wider than their IRT cousins, this would have meant that every station along the present #6 line would have had to be scaled back. (Then the #6, already a seriously overloaded line, would be operating only between 125 and Brooklyn Bridge--same local service on Lexington, but a shorter run for better service). Whether this eventually comes to pass or not is impossible to say at present.

There is already a proposal for some sort of light rail running as a loop in the Financial District. Again, impossible to say if it will happen, but at least it's being considered, which is something that you couldn't say ten years ago.

There are also a couple of proposals for subway lines linking the airports in Queens. The best one is, unfortunately, the least likely: a line running between LaGuardia and JFK, with connecting stations at every currently existing line in Queens along the way. More likely, though somewhat less useful, is the extension of the N line past Ditmars Boulevard and into LaGuardia.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
As a regular train rider I have noticed many things that are lacking in NY when it comes to mass transit in the NY area. I was wondering what you think is most needed to improve mass transit/getting around NY?

Here are a few of my own:
1) A connection from Grand Central to Penn Station and an agreement amoung the different railroads to sell one trip tickets. It is ridiculous that you have to go a mile to get to the other railroad station and that there is no direct link. Having to buy 2 different tickets to get from one suburb to another also discourages train travel and keeps people in their cars.

2) A subway shuttle from the east to west side. Crosstown buses go at walking speed and are slowed down by people too lazy to walk a block. If they are going to keep buses, the MTA should add express crosstown buses that ONLY stop at subway transfer locations.

3) Since the MTA is building the 2nd ave line, why not finish the job and connect it not only to the 4/5/6 at 125th but also to the west A/C/B/D. It would uptown travel much easier.

Light Rail Suggestions:
207th-Fordham Road - this route is served by the only rapid bus line in the city but is still too slow for such an important route (crosses all uptown subway lines and 3 Metro North lines). 40k+ passengers a day travel this route.

34th St - I believe the railroad tracks prevent a subway shuttle here so light rail may be a good way to solve the SLOW xtown bus problem.

Hudon Bergen Extension to SI Ferry - would make getting around SI much easier w/o a car and help w/ SI Expressway traffic.

125th St to Laguardia Airport - light rail/airtrain could make getting to the airport easier via the RFK Bridge.
A reliable Brooklyn-Queens train route that does not require going into Manhattan, but I don't know if this is possible because I think it would mean building in areas that are away from trains and many people would like it to remain that way.

I agree that there need to be more crosstown options besides the buses, I would like to see one at 125th if it's possible. I also think there should be some sort of crosstown train in the Bronx.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
There seems to be nothing "Metro" about these proposals.
Maybe they should actually extend the Hudson/Bergen Light Rail into BERGEN before NJ starts easing Staten Islands congestion.
The population of Bergen is double that of Staten Island & could use the reduction of traffic.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A reliable Brooklyn-Queens train route that does not require going into Manhattan, but I don't know if this is possible because I think it would mean building in areas that are away from trains and many people would like it to remain that way.
That proposal already has official status; it's called the Brooklyn-Queens Rail Link, and would make use of a couple of old freight lines that cross between the two boroughs. Another one of those, "If we get lucky it might actually come to pass" deals.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I would like to see:

- 2nd Av Subway have one branch to the BX and the other goes Crosstown on 125 connecting to the 1 on Broadway.

- Put the G train back on Queens Blvd - Also there should be a transfer built between every G station and intersecting Manhattan Trains...The Fulton Steet G station also should have Transfer to the Atlantic Hub in BK.

- A Commuter Type Train between Philadelphia's 30th and Penn Station would be nice, with these cities being so close to each other you'd think there'd be an economic (That's not Amtrak), Quick (That's not SEPTA/NJT) reliable Rail (Not Buses) between the 2 cities.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
A bronx-Queens connection I live about 10 minutes from queens(driving). But i gotta take a freaking train to manhattan just to come all the way back down to queens. Cuyting out the middle man would be nice

Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
a shuttle train at 125th street

the j train extended down guy r brewer

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
- Better G train service (more cars, greater frequency, fewer breakdowns--all categories that other trains do much better) which extends further into both queens and brooklyn.

- Bronx-Queens cross-connection

- Quickmounting bike rack for buses

- Extension of Second Avenue Subway with the Q line going up into the Bronx and the T doing crosstown service across 125th.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 PM

133 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
There seems to be nothing "Metro" about these proposals.
Maybe they should actually extend the Hudson/Bergen Light Rail into BERGEN before NJ starts easing Staten Islands congestion.
The population of Bergen is double that of Staten Island & could use the reduction of traffic.
What may be more useful would be an east-west (I-80) light rail connection from Bergen Co to the GWB Bus terminal (175th A train). I almost got a job in Fort Lee and I wouldn't have been able to catch the bus on the way home because there was no place to cross the divided highway. RIght now if you get a monthly NJT bus pass you often still pay extra for the $1.25 private Mexican buses that wait at the bridge.

Also an extension of the Path to GCT would be useful for NJ commuters and provide a direct link from Penn to GCT.

Also, when I said a shuttle from the east to west side I was referring to the UWS and UES. A short east to west trip takes forever up there.

Finally I love the direct Philly to NY idea. No idea why there aren't a few of these funning at peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City