Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know someone who was really struggling to make ends meet here in NYC, she lived in a crappy two bedroom apartment (in Staten Island) with three kids because that was all she could afford. She worked as a CNA for a nursing home and made decent money but the COL just ate up all of her income, not to mention the kids. She didn't even have a car, she had to schlep around on a bus.

She moved to South Carolina and is doing wonderfully. She rents a huge house for about $700 a month, has a car, and got a job doing the same thing she was doing here and making similar money. She is living like a king (or queen) and loves it. She said she wouldn't come back here if you paid her....

I thought it was interesting that she makes the same salary there. Either way, I'm glad it worked out for her.
If I was struggling to support 3 kids by myself on a nothing-special income, New York would be just about the last place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
I'd like to point out that experience of working in NYC does add premium values. This is not the case for every job or career field but for many, this is true.

The premium value coming from the mentality or notion that if this potential candidate for a job was able to grind it out and deal with variety of problems were probably thrown at him or her at fast pace in NYC. Chances are, this individual will have stronger soft skills and better equipped to handle him or herself better than a local candidate who doesn't have that kind of experience. It's often we hear of folks who worked in NYC (or in big cities in general) for some time and make the move off to another state and able to find job pretty fast and reap the rewards. On the flipside, we don't hear too many success stories of the reverse: people who work in smaller cities or suburbs in southern or midwestern state being able to come to NYC and succeed.

Please note that I'm talking more about this premium value of stronger soft skill applying when candidates have similar set of hard skills and job opportunities being in southern or midwestern states where life isn't as crazy or fast paced.

Last edited by babo111; 07-14-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I'd like to point out that experience of working in NYC does add premium values. This is not the case for every job or career field but for many, this is true.

The premium value coming from the mentality or notion that if this potential candidate for a job was able to grind it out and deal with variety of problems were probably thrown at him or her at fast pace in NYC. Chances are, this individual will have stronger soft skills and better equipped to handle him or herself better than a local candidate who doesn't have that kind of experience. It's often we hear of folks who worked in NYC (or in big cities in general) for some time and make the move off to another state and able to find job pretty fast and reap the rewards. On the flipside, we don't hear too many success stories of the reverse: people who work in smaller cities or suburbs in southern or midwestern state being able to come to NYC and succeed.

Please note that I'm talking more about this premium value of stronger soft skill applying when candidates have similar set of hard skills and job opportunities being in southern or midwestern states where life isn't as crazy or fast paced.
I dont know, I spoke with a tenant of mines and he told me he prefers to hire transplants then locals because of better attitude and work ethic, plus theu work for much less.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont know, I spoke with a tenant of mines and he told me he prefers to hire transplants then locals because of better attitude and work ethic, plus theu work for much less.
Depends on what kind of jobs or career. I assume your tenant in NYC hires transplants for blue collar jobs? Or did you mean your tenant outside NY hires transplants?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Depends on what kind of jobs or career. I assume your tenant in NYC hires transplants for blue collar jobs? Or did you mean your tenant outside NY hires transplants?
Im a doorman, and I tend to have casual conversations with tenants and there guests, everything is talked about from business sex. Any way he hires transplants for white collar work. According to him tansplants have better attitude. Sad thing is I dont know why your gonna hire some one with a degree from a community college in wisconsin compared to hiring someone from bronx or brooklyn with a degree from baruch.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im a doorman, and I tend to have casual conversations with tenants and there guests, everything is talked about from business sex. Any way he hires transplants for white collar work. According to him tansplants have better attitude. Sad thing is I dont know why your gonna hire some one with a degree from a community college in wisconsin compared to hiring someone from bronx or brooklyn with a degree from baruch.
What your friend really means is that he only hires transplants because he knows he can pay them much less than a local NYer who knows better. This has nothing to do with attitude or work ethic. He probably figures a lot of transplants aren't up on game and are just so happy about having the chance to live in NYC that they could careless about what they're being paid or what kinda work they gonna get...especially if they're from high unemployment regions.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
What your friend really means is that he only hires transplants because he knows he can pay them much less than a local NYer who knows better. This has nothing to do with attitude or work ethic. He probably figures a lot of transplants aren't up on game and are just so happy about having the chance to live in NYC that they could careless about what they're being paid or what kinda work they gonna get...especially if they're from high unemployment regions.
Thats what I was thinking the whole time. What a shame.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
exactly...too many NY'ers see thru the bs

Old 07-15-2011, 08:34 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
exactly...too many NY'ers see thru the bs
It's not that.

They just don't realize, at least initially, how high the COL is in NYC. They take the lower pay thinking that it will pull them through because the same pay was decent where they came from. They don't realize all of the hidden costs (price premiums, fees, use taxes, etc.) associated with living in NYC as well as the high taxes.

A lot of them think that 40 or 45 or even 50k is more than decent.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's not that.

They just don't realize, at least initially, how high the COL is in NYC. They take the lower pay thinking that it will pull them through because the same pay was decent where they came from. They don't realize all of the hidden costs (price premiums, fees, use taxes, etc.) associated with living in NYC as well as the high taxes.

A lot of them think that 40 or 45 or even 50k is more than decent.
The COL of in NYC is just too much.

I have been looking for a new job, even though I make decent money at my current job, with decent benefits, so I shouldn't really complain.

Anyway, I have over 12 years experience as a legal assistant/paralegal. I have sent my resume out to a few friends who work in law firms just to see if there were any openings. I got an e-mail from a friend of mine who works in a large law firm. She said they are hiring, but guess what the salary was? 32K!! She said "I know it's ridiculous but I figured I would let you know". I am making double that where I am now. I think it's very sad that they will probably fill that position for that terrible salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City