Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
DREAM JOB-Base, Bonuses, & Benefits (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/csr/2500151759.html - broken link)

Dream job? At a whopping 30k?

This one is even better----MUST HAVE A DEGREE AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE FOR 30k

ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT NEEDED - $30K + Benefits (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/acc/2495636523.html - broken link)

Oh boy, I'm going to have a field day with these.

This one, too!

Business Assistant for Education Non-Profit (http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ofc/2491229240.html - broken link)
These are all assistant positions....How much should one get paid to "assist?"

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,000,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Actually that one for the dentist doesn't look like they require a college degree. It's probably a stretch to call it a dream job, but 30K with benefits and bonuses is better than what you'd make working in the service industry. I guess it could be the dream job for a high school graduate working at burger king, and it sounds like they are willing to at least consider that person, so I don't see an issue with that particular listing.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Do you know how much a physicians assistant makes? Lol

Coo, CFO, CIO, all assist h CEO. How much should they make?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,507,330 times
Quote:
I'm a legal assistant and I make close to 60K. Assistants to CEOs can make towards 100K.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Do you know how much a physicians assistant makes? Lol

Coo, CFO, CIO, all assist h CEO. How much should they make?
No I don't....this is why I'm asking.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I'm a legal assistant and I make close to 60K. Assistants to CEOs can make towards 100K.
Sounds good. How many years of experience do you have? What is usual starting entry for a legal assistant?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,571,615 times
Most entry level legal assistants don't make anywhere near that. Try more like 30K, if they are lucky enough to get hired instead of the unemployed JD next to them. If they have a degree and certification perhaps a bit more... but in this job market it's a rarity. I should know, I have a degree and certification and left the legal field entirely because the pay sucked (main reason, there were many others). My dream doesn't involve me maxing out at a wage that barely pays my rent and grocery bill. Those 60K legal assist gigs are in short supply, especially since the ABA gave the green light to outsource menial legal work. If it was me, Jen5276, I would hold onto my ass and I'd hold on tight. There is no upward mobility in your position and your employer views you as a liability, not an asset. Sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-21-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
My friend was hiring for a Legal Assist/Admin at an investment banking firm, salary was about $65K, and the resumes they received were shocking: Attorneys, Compliance Officers from other Investment Banking Firms, and a variety of MBAs in all fields with years and years of experience. It was eye opening for him and his colleagues, and revealed the sheer breadth of people out of work looking for anything. With competition like that, new grads, and those with just a Bachelors is disconcerting.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Most entry level legal assistants don't make anywhere near that. Try more like 30K, if they are lucky enough to get hired instead of the unemployed JD next to them. If they have a degree and certification perhaps a bit more... but in this job market it's a rarity. I should know, I have a degree and certification and left the legal field entirely because the pay sucked (main reason, there were many others). My dream doesn't involve me maxing out at a wage that barely pays my rent and grocery bill. Those 60K legal assist gigs are in short supply, especially since the ABA gave the green light to outsource menial legal work. If it was me, Jen5276, I would hold onto my ass and I'd hold on tight. There is no upward mobility in your position and your employer views you as a liability, not an asset. Sounds harsh but it's the truth.
Actually, I work for a sole practitioner who told me not too long ago (when I was going to leave due to BS office stuff) that he really valued me and did not want me to quit, that I was essential to his practice. He even offered me a raise, he said he would do whatever it took to keep me. He's very old school like that, he really does value his employees. His other assistant (yes, he's that busy that he requires two) has been with him over 13 years. He also pays 100% of our medical benefits. I realize that this a rare thing, and I don't expect to find something this good again.

But I do not what you are saying, I have worked in several firms where they had no problem letting to the senior assistants and hiring younger ones for less $. It's sad. I have over 15 years experience doing this, so I wouldn't settle for a low salary unless I was absolutely desperate.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. How many years of experience do you have? What is usual starting entry for a legal assistant?
Well, it seems these days a starting salary could be around 30K, like eastboundanddownchick said. It used to be much higher, but firms have gotten very, very cheap. I actually have a friend that works in a large firm here in the city and she had given my resume to her supervisor quite some time ago...turns out they are hiring now and they were interested in me but said they could only offer me 32K!!! The supervisor even acknowledged that the salary was insanely low for someone with my experience (over 15 years), but that was all she was authorized to offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City