Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times

Advertisements

Yes! Jungle World alone is almost worth the price of admission but there's plent y other cool stuff, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 04:01 PM

100 posts, read 248,808 times
Absolutely - be sure to visit the Congo exhibit.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
yes yes and yes.....that was the answer from all three of my sons

Old 05-21-2011, 11:08 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Not only does the Bronx Zoo blow away the National Zoo by far, it blows away the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park. The Bronx Zoo needs all the help it can get right now as they are suffering a major fiscal crisis due to a cutback in NYS support. But what else is new.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
The Bronx Zoo is absolutely amazing!! I have a membership and we go several times a year. I also go to the Central Park Zoo and the NY Aquarium but nothing compares to the Bronx Zoo.

My advice is to get there early! The animals are most active first thing in the day. Check out the map they'll give you at the entrance and plan out what exhibits you want to see and when. They have great "enrichments" with different animals at different times --- the Tiger enrichment was cool beyond cool!!!!!!

Enjoy the zoo! It's a wonderful place and, as another poster said, they can use all the support they can get at this time of cutbacks.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
ill take the flip side, we are members and go a few times a year but ill be the first one to say i dont feel its worth the outragious prices a non member family will pay.

12 bucks to park the car , and 100 bucks for a family of 4 for the complete zoo ticket is an awful lot. heaven forbid anyone gets hungery ....

all the times we have been there we have seen very few of the animals in the open areas. they are out of view most of the time.

its a nice place but greatly over priced unless your a member or pick a free day.

being into photography my wife and i were just debating whether we were going to even join again. we rarely are able to get shots of the animals we want as they arent around.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-22-2011 at 03:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl367 View Post
We're planning a trip to NYC this summer. Is the Bronx Zoo worth the hassle of leaving Manhattan? (We have access to the free National Zoo in DC if that matters.)
The bronx zoo is a nyc cultural institution. It is totally worth it to step out of manhattan to visit the nations largest and most famous zoological center. If leaving manhattan bothers you because of safety and security just go to the central park zoo if that makes you happy.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ill take the flip side, we are members and go a few times a year but ill be the first one to say i dont feel its worth the outragious prices a non member family will pay.

12 bucks to park the car , and 100 bucks for a family of 4 for the complete zoo ticket is an awful lot. heaven forbid anyone gets hungery ....

all the times we have been there we have seen very few of the animals in the open areas. they are out of view most of the time.

its a nice place but greatly over priced unless your a member or pick a free day.

being into photography my wife and i were just debating whether we were going to even join again. we rarely are able to get shots of the animals we want as they arent around.
What time of the day are you going?? Every time I've gone, I've gotten some amazing shots of the lions, giraffes, tigers, etc. When we go, I make sure we get there right at opening time (10am) ---- that's when they first let the animals out and that's when they're most active.

If you're looking for shots of particular animals, check out the map before you go, decide which animals you're interested in, park at the closest entrance to that exhibit, and go straight there at opening. You'll get some amazing shots, I promise! (and you better share them here !!!! )

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The bronx zoo is a nyc cultural institution. It is totally worth it to step out of manhattan to visit the nations largest and most famous zoological center. If leaving manhattan bothers you because of safety and security just go to the central park zoo if that makes you happy.

The Central Park zoo is very cute. It would take you about an hour or hour and a half to see the whole thing. They have the snow leopard exhibit (agian, you have to get there at the 10am opening if you want to see activity). The polar bears are pretty much active all the time and they pose for pictures. The penguins are always swimming around. The rain forest is pretty cool too (although it is stinky in there!)

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What time of the day are you going?? Every time I've gone, I've gotten some amazing shots of the lions, giraffes, tigers, etc. When we go, I make sure we get there right at opening time (10am) ---- that's when they first let the animals out and that's when they're most active.

If you're looking for shots of particular animals, check out the map before you go, decide which animals you're interested in, park at the closest entrance to that exhibit, and go straight there at opening. You'll get some amazing shots, I promise! (and you better share them here !!!! )
we always go at opening..... we are very critical of our photos so i usually delete about 90% of what we do get.. i just find it very difficult to get good shots. either they arent around or else most animals think if they cant see you then you cant see them so they always hang out with their back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: