Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,892 times

Advertisements

My job has me moving to the Lower Manhattan office in July. I have a fiance and daughter who will be home schooled so schools in the area are irrelevant. I need a 2-3 bedroom house or apt in a safe neighborhood with washer and dryer hookups and a place for 2 cars. Rent is flexible up to 2k/mo. If I need to move outside the city proper that is ok but I prefer to live close enough to the subways I can leave my car parked. I am also considering Jersey but I'd prefer to stay in New York so we can deal with one state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
That’s an unrealistic budget for most parts of the city. Even in the further parts of Queens, you’d have trouble finding a place in that price range. Maybe Staten Island? If you’re working in Lower Manhattan, you should look for something in Jersey with access to Path Trains. That would be the most efficient commute option.

BTW, if you’re commuting by subway or train, do you really need two cars?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

What would be closer to realistic for a reasonably safe neighborhood with a place to store my car and washer and dryer hookups? I have spent a little time in Newark and am familiar with PATH and that could work. Dumping one car is an option as well and would save us some money. I just want to explore my options before I make any firm decisions.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Why would you need 2 cars to live in Manhattan? Your budget is really low for what you are looking for. $2,000 barely gets you a ONE bedroom/STUDIO in Manhattan.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Someone in another forum said Long Island but I am reading mixed reviews. From what I am getting it is a ring of the rich around a lot of low income neighborhoods. I'm lost. I need somewhere within a reasonable commute of Lower Manhattan and I can flex upward in rent to 3-4k. I just had no frame of reference living here in TX. Rent on my 1,000 sq. ft 2 bedroom here is below $800 and I live in a neighborhood 4 blocks from million dollar homes.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM

147 posts, read 371,372 times
Long Island is an option, but New Jersey would be more convenient in my opinion. I know someone out in Bohemia, NY renting a 1800sq ft. house for around $2800/month with utilities. If your kids are home schooled, look for renting a decent house with maybe an hour to 1.5 hour commute for 3k.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
If your goal was to actually live in Manhattan, you wouldn't need a single car. You'd likely be paying about the same for a monthly parking spot as you do now for your entire apartment in Texas, literally. Now double that if you wanted to keep both cars.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM

177 posts, read 416,411 times
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn could be a good option too. You can definitely find a 2 bedroom apt. for $2000, maybe a 3 bedroom. It would most likely have a washer dryer in the basement for all tenants in the building and not a washer/dryer hook up though.
If it's in a house (like the top floor of a 2 family house) you would most likely need to go to a nearby laundramat. A couple of places pick up your laundry and deliver it back for a reasonable price if you dread laundramats.

1 car would be much more freeing then having 2. Having a garage to rent (and one that's close!), that can be pretty difficult to find, so you likely might end up without a garage.
Transportation from Bay Ridge to Manhattan is done very easily by train or the express bus. To lower Manhattan depending where you would be in Bay Ridge, it could be up to 45 minutes on a bad day, 30 minutes on a good one.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Not to harp on the 2 car thing but do you know how much it would cost for 2 parking spots in lower Manhattan?
E A S I L Y 500 bucks a month.
And thats IF you can even get one. Waiting list and under the table bribes are HUGE in that industry.
HUGE!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Try the website streeteasy. It will allow you to select how many bedrooms you want, your rent range, washer dryer in unit, etc. and see what you get. Now that you are willing to go up to $3-$4K I think your options will expand immensely.

Ditmas Park in Brooklyn might be a good place to look. There are quite a few houses out there, street parking might be available, and the commute isn't bad on the Q/B subway. I don't think we area allowed to link to realtor listings, but I saw one at 1600 Beverley Rd that looked nice - 2bdr/2bath with w/d hookup in the unit and garage parking available for $200 a month. Near the subway; probably a 30-40 minute commute to downtown. Price is $2850.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City