Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,973,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
@ Henna

GFYS!

When racist speak, I speak.

There is a LOT of race prejudice in this forum.

In fact, virtually every post regarding 'safety' and/or 'where to live', contain race based comment. It is most often negative, erroneous and stereotypical. Often intended to propagate prejudice and belief rather than truth and reality. Just as often truth and reality are deliberately ignored.

The comments literally are NEVER based upon any first person experience, none whatsoever.

Such as is the attempt by your post. An ignorant idiotic effort to dismiss concerns of others who do not share nor are willing to cede your mindset, viewpoint and interpretation of life and reality.

I repeat, GFYS!

Now, to YOUR unveiled obfuscated attempt at definition, "thug" as you choose to define the word, has no contextual meaning in the context of the OP's use of the word.

So, what kind of stupidity are you talking about?

Warning: if you attempt to pit your intellect against mine, you will embarass yourself, as you just did.

As with all of your persuasion, you choose NOT to engage, to question, attempt to weigh and consider, entertain possibilities nor probabilities other than what you determine, and then seek and act to impose and super impose.

Henna has determined that there is no race prejudice, so everyone should be quiet. The arbitor of last repute has spoken. All be quiet and still.

GFYS!
LMAO.

First of all, people call cops and politicians THUGS all the time. Is that veiled racism too?

Second of all, why are you assuming the bouncer/security guard was a different race than the OP?

Third of all, you accuse the OP of harboring veiled racism, yet you see nothing hypocritical about calling them "pasty"?

Fourth of all, Henna never said "there is no race prejudice", or anything anywhere near alluding to that assertion.

Fifth of all, given 1-4 above, in addition to the temper tantrum tone of your post that is sprinkled with 'GFYS!', you're really going to question someone else's intellect?

Now who's embarrassing himself?

(Hint: It's you. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
We could get into the historic use and intent of the word "thug", but what w/b the point? The word is used often by whites and others as a vieled racist slur. You may choose not to accept that reality, such is your perogative.

Yet, what is your perogative, that is your choice to be ignorant, is not a right to choose and define for everyone, specifically those who disagree.

Ahhh, the "drama" which you are initiating.

I'm sorry, you are demonstrating IDIOCY. What argument have I made, pertaining to the original post? So, WTF are you talking about?????

Now, if you want to get down to it, here is MY interpretation of the OP:

A thin pasty physically inept white guy, offended by the Bouncer imposing himself onto the OP, intimidated by the factual nature of bouncers, in general, and factually, by a burly black bouncer, seeks to find solace and commensuration in the fact of the bouncer's incorrect action based upon the law as the bouncer undoubtedly was instructed.

The OP took a 'whinning' stance based upon the correctness of his whine. Correct though the OP was/is, nevertheless the factor which weighs most upon the OP is the intimidating nature and action of the bouncer, his race having much to do with the threatening feeling of the OP. Whose only defense in the face of intimidation and threat, is the weak whine re Loitering Laws.

Ignoring other possibly and probably applicable 'nuisance' laws, which are at the heart of the rights of the nearby and effected homeowners of which the Op and others appear to dismiss and disdain.

The fact is you cannot, legally, create a disturbance, nor loiter, in front of some one's home---PERIOD!. Simply because the space in front of the property is a public sidewalk matters NOT! The sidewalk may be public, but such does not give anyone the right to act as one pleases.

For agument's sake, let us presume the OP was not Loitering, he may very well have been breaking other laws. The fact of the matter is we only know the facts as the OP relays and interprets them. Moreover, why all the disdain toward a man doing his job? If any is justified, it s/b vented toward the owner/management of the establishment. In fact, the OP s/h have asked to speak to such.

In the stead, the OP chooses to vent his frustration on this forum and toward the bouncer using terms such as "thug" and "minion". Neither of which I view, nor has the OP demonstrated, as being justified.

What exactly did the bouncer do to be viewed as a "thug"?

What exactly did the bouncer do which caused the OP to feel, threatened or intimidated?

Nothing as the OP reports it. So, what is the basis of his mindset toward the bouncer?

Doesn't appear intelligent to my view. More emotional and deeply based I suspect, hence the use of the term "thug", and the connotation of the term, which Henna chooses to ignore.

If any, that's my argument.

I stick by my original post: Step Off.

The word is PREROGATIVE not 'perogative'.

As for the rest of this post...maybe I will address it if and when I ever stop laughing.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM

979 posts, read 4,461,267 times
Quote:
@ Henna

GFYS!

When racist speak, I speak.
You and your ranting hyperbole should be the first one to defend the use of any word in the English language. Especially one that is not on the surface considered racist by anybody but the the most limp wristed backward bending curtsey crawling he/shes.
Honestly if Al Sharpton was dead he'd be spinning in his grave knowing you were the pie plated sheriff sniffing out "racism" on the internetz.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,822,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
LMAO.

First of all, people call cops and politicians THUGS all the time. Is that veiled racism too?
I suppose, according to Henna, the cops and thugs are Indian!

Of course, narrowing the examination just to your response, it is as ignorant as Henna. For your implication to be valid the term, thug, would have to have a single meaning and interpretation. In addition, the term as in your example is a popular usage, popular as in 'common', as oppose to a strict definition. Is ther only one popular use?

In MY experience, common use, most popularly refers to black males involved in criminal activity as a lifestyle, i.e., Thug-Life.

Perhaps some of you are of a generation which is unaware of the latest connotation of the term. People of and/or acclimated to hip-hop/rap/gangster culture and/or are aware of its effect upon popular language and culture will agee to the above interpretation.

Now, if you and all wish to ignore reality to suit your preference, then do so. IF, you, truly, in your viewpoint do not and did not connect "thug" with race, and this is the basis of your argument, the Bravo for you.

Unfortunately, for you, the rest of the world is not of your viewpoint, but of varying viewpoints. Its your choice to view from a narrow point, or to entertain a broad view, or at least the possibility of another valid viewpoint.

Thug, in the context of recent times, is used to connotate, race and criminality.

Quote:
Second of all, why are you assuming the bouncer/security guard was a different race than the OP?
Here again, an exhibition of the ignorance of reality. Yes, indeed, the bouncer may have been a race other than black.

Yet, let us deal in reality and probabilities, do a survey to satisfy yourself, you will find that within the five boroughs, any popular establishment that is not ethnically centric, you will find a commonality, black bouncers and white doorman. Bouncers keep order, Doorman adjudicate 'the list'.

Now, perhaps, the OP's circumstance is an exception to the average, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Third of all, you accuse the OP of harboring veiled racism, yet you see nothing hypocritical about calling them "pasty"?
I've never claimed to be anything other. Any hypocrisy on my part, has little to do with the correctness of my claim.

Moreover, I clearly state that, in my opinion of the OP, his 'race' to be WHITE! Pasty was used as a particular descriptive of white/nerd, inferring one who spends a bit to little time in the sun, and probably too much time in front of a computer screen.

Pasty, in computer speak, is a descriptive of the reuslt of behavior, rather than directly one of race. Of course, whites being an overwhelming majority, when the term was originally inferred, naturally apply the term exclusively to other whites.

So, ahhhh, whereeee is the hypocrisy on my part?

On your part, a little more effort at reading comprehension, please. Thanks.

Quote:
Fourth of all, Henna never said "there is no race prejudice", or anything anywhere near alluding to that assertion.
First, this thread is not the first such encounter, nor his first such attempt to quell mention of race in the reverse of the forum's norm.

Second, if you w/b so kind as to interpret; the intent and meaning of BS in his post. Thanks. Additionally, the question of determining the dismissive tone and nature of his post. He obviously took umbrage and expressed it. So did I.

Quote:
Fifth of all, given 1-4 above, in addition to the temper tantrum tone of your post that is sprinkled with 'GFYS!', you're really going to question someone else's intellect?
I responded equally and in kind.

More to the point, the language chosen has little to do as a demonstration of intellect, than the manner of use and the intent of meaning.

Henna choose or chooses to exhibit disdain and a lack of concern for that which concerns me. Chooses not to engage in discussion. Not to determine the validity of my comment. Rather, he simply chooses to implore that his thought be imposed and mine dismissed---not on the merit, but on his thought.

Such is a fundamental arrogance, warranting an equal dismissal of being. Hence, he can GFHS! It would appear, there isn't much else to be said. He dismisses mine. I dismiss his.

Quote:
Now who's embarrassing himself?

(Hint: It's you. )
To the contray, if you have the intellect to comprehend. IF you accept Henna's post to be valid, intelligent and correct in purpose, quelling opinion he is dispositive of. Is that good and intelligent?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Of course, narrowing the examination just to your response, it is as ignorant as Henna. For your implication to be valid the term, thug, would have to have a single meaning and interpretation. In addition, the term as in your example is a popular usage, popular as in 'common', as oppose to a strict definition. Is ther only one popular use?

In MY experience, common use, most popularly refers to black males involved in criminal activity as a lifestyle, i.e., Thug-Life.

Perhaps some of you are of a generation which is unaware of the latest connotation of the term. People of and/or acclimated to hip-hop/rap/gangster culture and/or are aware of its effect upon popular language and culture will agee to the above interpretation.

Now, if you and all wish to ignore reality to suit your preference, then do so. IF, you, truly, in your viewpoint do not and did not connect "thug" with race, and this is the basis of your argument, the Bravo for you.

Unfortunately, for you, the rest of the world is not of your viewpoint, but of varying viewpoints. Its your choice to view from a narrow point, or to entertain a broad view, or at least the possibility of another valid viewpoint.

Thug, in the context of recent times, is used to connotate, race and criminality.

Don't lecture me on hip hop. I was listening to Wu Tang when you were soiling your Pampers and watching Rugrats on Nickelodeon.

The word "thug" didn't all of a sudden take on racist connotations just because Tupac Shakur rapped about "Thug Life" and got a tattoo across his stomach.

The word "thug" and the concept of "thug" was not invented by hip hop. "Thug" is not a racial epithet.

When people, including reporters and pundits, call NJ Governor Chris Christie a "thug" for huffing and puffing and behaving like a bully, it's a regular insult. But if you call a black person a "thug" for huffing and puffing and behaving like a bully, it's a racist insult? That kind of logic makes you lose all credibility.

Quote:
Here again, an exhibition of the ignorance of reality. Yes, indeed, the bouncer may have been a race other than black.

Yet, let us deal in reality and probabilities, do a survey to satisfy yourself, you will find that within the five boroughs, any popular establishment that is not ethnically centric, you will find a commonality, black bouncers and white doorman. Bouncers keep order, Doorman adjudicate 'the list'.

Now, perhaps, the OP's circumstance is an exception to the average, but I doubt it.
Probabilities? Surveys? Averages? You are talking out of your azz. Like as if you have any demographic data and statistics regarding bouncers in the city to support your claims. But it's a moot point. I don't care if the bouncer was, in fact, black. Calling him a "thug" is not racist.

The bouncer DID act like a thug. The only authority he has is to keep trouble makers out, and manage the smokers. He doesn't have the authority to tell John Q. Public where to stand on the sidewalk and for how long. You said, yourself, in one of your previous posts that you would've told him to "F off" and would've been prepared for a physical altercation. Yet you have a hissy fit over someone using the word "thug"?

The irony is, the loitering law BS targets mostly minorities and mostly the poor. Who do you think gets hassled more for standing around too long in any given spot? Two white stockbrokers dressed in suits? Or two black men, regardless of how they are dressed?

But, since, in this case, you INSIST that the bouncer is black and the person complaining is white, it's OK.

I would love to see your reaction if a black person came here and posted about how a white bouncer or doorman tried to shoo him and his friend away, telling them that he was under "city orders" to keep people off the sidewalk.

Quote:
Moreover, I clearly state that, in my opinion of the OP, his 'race' to be WHITE! Pasty was used as a particular descriptive of white/nerd, inferring one who spends a bit to little time in the sun, and probably too much time in front of a computer screen.
So you've seen the OP and know for a fact that he is white? Actually, we're both even assuming that 'he' is a HE. This person can very well be a woman. Or Latino. Or Asian. Or black. Would you still think it was racist if anyone other than a white person called this bouncer a "thug"?

Quote:
Pasty, in computer speak, is a descriptive of the reuslt of behavior, rather than directly one of race. Of course, whites being an overwhelming majority, when the term was originally inferred, naturally apply the term exclusively to other whites.
WTF are you talking about? What is the meaning of this word salad? "Pasty, in computer speak"? You are straight up making shyte up now.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,223,521 times
PWNED

I love this ****

*grabs popcorn*

Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,465,231 times
Quote:
I stick by my original post: Step Off.
And POOF - just like that George Costanza pops into my mind!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM

556 posts, read 1,447,015 times
imgur: the simple image sharerimgur: the simple image sharer

He thought he was in this town lol

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
Ripped from the headlines, 14 hours ago:

Racist Thug Attacks Woman in the City The thug was Asian.

May 2011: this thug is white (a mob guy) ...Mob Thug...

May 2011: this thug is Latino
Bagley-Franzoia described Ignacio Alfredo Leyba as a "thug friend" of other "thugs" who on his own "decided to commit the murder in one of his thug friends' backyard."

Here's a Middle Eastern Thug: Al Qaeda-linked Terror Thug Who Escaped Iraqi Jail... ( http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-12-27/news/17911624_1_western-anbar-province-ramadi-police-snipers - broken link)

Last edited by Henna; 06-05-2011 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City