Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,988,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
SEX SELLS. And in real estate, being the priciest of commodities, SEX SELLS BIG!

I would not be aghast at the prospect of an agent sleepiong with the client to make a sale where a single commission can mean a whole year's salary of a shoe salesman.

I would also think that a woman who is not beautiful, much less appropriately dressed, will have a VERY hard time getting and holding a job in this industry.
It's brutal, and probaly illegal, but it IS.
We were looking for a place to retire years back and checked out Vegas. All the realtors looked like call girls to us, not so in other areas of the country that we were interested in.

Not long after we made that observation there was an article about realtors in Texas somewhere who were busted as prostitutes.

You sometimes hear of a realtor being raped by a male client, along in a vacant house. When I hear of these stories I think of the Texas story and that the guy might have a skewered view of what is being offered. No excuse for violence and no means no, but it's just another thought that adds complications to the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM

241 posts, read 592,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's not about tradition, it's about fashion. Professional women in Manhattan follow fashion trends much more closely that anywhere else in the country. If you walk around Midtown during at rush hour you really can spot the "it" shoe, or bag or skirt of the season. The Devil Wears Prada is a satire of the fashion industry, but it's an exaggeration, not a complete fiction.

Once you get past the clothing you have to know the "it" bar, restaurant, cocktail, etc.
I'm getting transferred and will be starting in Midtown in a couple of month. Is it really that "it" outfit that easily spotted? Isn't there something to be said about individuality and making your outfit your own? Being fashionable isn't just about buying the "it" dress, is it?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
sluty? Looks very chic to me
Only the 2nd one from left in the white looks like something that could be pulled off for work...the rest is very "fashioney" IMO that would more for going out.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,978 times
Quote:
maybe your boyfriend starte boofing his secretary, because she had great legs showed them off wearing skirts an dresses an allowed him and him only to wear the pants...ROFLMAO
"Boffing", not "boofing".

Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM

41 posts, read 154,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa7319 View Post
I've worked on Wall Street and other than the culture being less than kind to my liver I enjoyed it and never had a problem with any Alpha Wolf type.
Really? When I was in b-school I had friends wearing fake engagement rings so it was easier to brush off the Wall Street-bound guys!

As for the dress code, as others have said, it's just part of the image clients in that market expect. Fair or not, a conservative and upscale business image still, in most sectors, means skirts on the women.

On the upside, aside from finance, I rarely see women in pantyhose here!

Last edited by gingercat; 06-29-2011 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: add another thought

Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,278,550 times
When the HR person said "women don't wear pants HERE", she was referring to this particular firm...not the NYC area in general.

Dress codes vary greatly by industry, more so in NYC than anywhere else, I've found.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,480,097 times
What employers can get away with IS typical here (I moved here from Seattle and lived in DC before that). Examples include requesting pictures, jobs that list females (or males) only, a certain body type, etc. There are also a lot of "off the books" jobs here in a lot of different fields. NYC is like the Wild West in a lot of ways. People who have lived here a long time or all of their lives probably don't realize it or see it as much, but it was shocking to see what people get away with when we originally moved here (and it still shocks me sometimes).

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,362,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
What employers can get away with IS typical here (I moved here from Seattle and lived in DC before that). Examples include requesting pictures, jobs that list females (or males) only, a certain body type, etc. There are also a lot of "off the books" jobs here in a lot of different fields. NYC is like the Wild West in a lot of ways. People who have lived here a long time or all of their lives probably don't realize it or see it as much, but it was shocking to see what people get away with when we originally moved here (and it still shocks me sometimes).

wondering is that illegal to ask for a photo, asking for a male or female in a ad... i would think so. But firms get away with it.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 PM

542 posts, read 1,480,097 times
Quote:
wondering is that illegal to ask for a photo, asking for a male or female in a ad... i would think so. But firms get away with it.

they get away with everything here!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,362,638 times
btw i dont think nyc gals wear underwear either he he he
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City