Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM

50 posts, read 144,825 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am moving to NYC soon and want to know what the best private schools are. There are so many and I don't know the reputations they have. Which high schools are the best? It doesn't matter where they are located as long as they are in manhattan.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:09 PM

50 posts, read 144,825 times
Oh and it must be co-ed and preferably not religious.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
Really The Most Expensive Private Schools In New York

You got that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(and list is four years old to boot, probabaly even more $$ now)

Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
also factor in what area of NYC that will be a easy commute.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
You do need to give more information on what you are looking for and child or children. The annual cost of a typical manhattan non-religious private school is about the same as a private college (i.e., $40K or so). The most prestigious are more difficult to get into than Harvard, thousands of kids trying for 100 or so spots in a class, and the admissions schedules are non-negotiable. The schools are very different, some single-sex, some co-ed, some adherents to alternative learning methods. Some notorious for their "snobbery" (Brearley and Dalton come to mind), some not exactly in Manhattan but have more facilities and sports (Riverdale, Fieldstone, Horace Mann). There is no "best." There are probably 20+ private schools in Manhattan that are among the most vigorous and exclusive anywhere. You need to figure out what you want, location, and, more importantly, what your kids can get into and you can afford (and do not overlook equally prestigious and expensive places in Brooklyn like St. Anne's (not religious despite its name) and Packard)).

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
In my opinion, the best is Dalton (I attended), Browning, Collegiate and Nightingale Bamford. Just do know that the acceptance rate is very low. The school has counselors that will interview you and your children, your children will have to take an examination and most schools won't give you a spot unless you send them a first choice letter. I got lucky and attended a K-12 school, so I did not have to re-apply to any high schools.
Overall, the schools are looking for a "good fit" and will scrutinize your children's records and behavior as well as your own. As well, do not overlook schools like Hunter and Stuyvesant (both public) as they are both equally good schools.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
In my opinion, the best is Dalton (I attended), Browning, Collegiate and Nightingale Bamford. Just do know that the acceptance rate is very low. The school has counselors that will interview you and your children, your children will have to take an examination and most schools won't give you a spot unless you send them a first choice letter. I got lucky and attended a K-12 school, so I did not have to re-apply to any high schools.
Overall, the schools are looking for a "good fit" and will scrutinize your children's records and behavior as well as your own. As well, do not overlook schools like Hunter and Stuyvesant (both public) as they are both equally good schools.
What is the acceptance rate at the top public high schools like Hunter and Stuyvesant? I thought both had extremely low acceptance rates.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What is the acceptance rate at the top public high schools like Hunter and Stuyvesant? I thought both had extremely low acceptance rates.
They are both very low, and referencing Hunter, I forgot to add that they only accept 7th graders for their high school. I can not believe I am using Wikipedia, but according to them, the acceptance rate is 6.6%.
I am not sure about Stuyvesant, but I do know that the only way to gain admission is to sit for the SHSAT exam, which all public high schoolers in the city do. As well, they only accept 9th and 10th graders. I can't imagine how many students apply for positions, but I would be willing to bet that the acceptance rate is lower than Hunter's given that it is a regular high school in terms of accepting 9th and 10th graders instead of only 7th graders.

To the OP, education in New York is a completely different animal. Most likely, there will be blood, sweat and tears on your end. And if you do get into your first choice, you'll be very lucky.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 06-26-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:03 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
Stuyvesant acceptance rate is 4% according to this website.

Stuyvesant High School ‹ Landmarks ‹ Places ‹ Battery Park City (http://batteryparkcity.com/place/stuyvesant-high-school/ - broken link)

Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
You'll want to spend the $199 to join the Parents League (Parents League of New York).

We did and they found us a co-ed, progressive, non-religious private school 9 blocks from our UWS apartment within 3 days of joining. The school accepted us on our first try and three school years later, we love it.

Totally worth the $199.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City