Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times

Advertisements

someone is either jealous of what they
see some poor people with or they're
just generalizing poverty and wants to
control how the poor spend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
You cant tell someone how to spend their money...just do you and let them do them.
On the contrary, food stamps and other subsidizing programs are entirely funded by the tax payers, who therefore DO have a say in how the money is spent. This means what sort of food is purchased, where available cash DOES go, and so on. I need to figure out how to budget my internet and buy food. I will not subsidize someone who uses cash for his/her internet and expects me to buy food. I would rather use that money to create educational opportunities for their children.

Point is ... the food stamps are also "me."

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
someone is either jealous of what they
see some poor people with or they're
just generalizing poverty and wants to
control how the poor spend money.
No understanding of how things work and no interest in gaining such.
I hear this every day and they will not be dissuaded from these beliefs.

I rest my case.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM

^ i don't get along with dictators.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
On the contrary, food stamps and other subsidizing programs are entirely funded by the tax payers, who therefore DO have a say in how the money is spent. This means what sort of food is purchased, where available cash DOES go, and so on. I need to figure out how to budget my internet and buy food. I will not subsidize someone who uses cash for his/her internet and expects me to buy food. I would rather use that money to create educational opportunities for their children.

Point is ... the food stamps are also "me."
I've been trying to figure out what's this self-important attitude about being a taxpayer therefore those on the lower scale should somehow bow down to you or something? Those on food stamps, most likely, pay taxes (aside from income tax), therefore if they're also participating in the tax system, they have just as much say as you do. This idea of dictating what people should do with their food stamps, welfare etc. is so ridiculous: not only is it completely un-American, but there's so much snobbery when you're doing what a majority of Americans do...pay taxes. That doesn't make anyone special.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i don't get along with dictators.
But you do. They are telling you that you should embrace and defend the whole oppressive machinery and you agree, deciding that people who suggest something different must be "jealous."

Which is absurd, by the way.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Slimmackey: Anything above and beyond the basics: food, housing, medical care, education, etc, are luxuries. Cable tv is in fact a luxury, as are cell phones, internet service, cars, magazine and video subscriptions, and on and on.

Your comment demonstrates quite clearly my point. If you work everyday and require a cell phone, your company should pay for it. Cable is a luxury for everyone. Access to internet is critical, having it at your convenience in your home is not. WALKING to the library is free, that's the hustle part people are missing.

The point of the comment is simple: People expect the luxuries and equate them to the basics they are entitled to, and it simply is not the case.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I've been trying to figure out what's this self-important attitude about being a taxpayer therefore those on the lower scale should somehow bow down to you or something? Those on food stamps, most likely, pay taxes (aside from income tax), therefore if they're also participating in the tax system, they have just as much say as you do. This idea of dictating what people should do with their food stamps, welfare etc. is so ridiculous: not only is it completely un-American, but there's so much snobbery when you're doing what a majority of Americans do...pay taxes. That doesn't make anyone special.
Here is a simple analogy. Suppose you have a friend in truly dire straights, or so s/he says. You are not wealthy either, but you loan (or give) this person money because you feel that s/he is worse off at the moment. This is distributed in a number of payments.

Then, a bit down the road, you notice your friend buying lots of clothing, electronics, and so on - in other words, an indication of extra cash around. At the same time, this person does not make any sort of gesture toward paying you back; nor does s/he suggest that your payments should stop.

I think you would suddenly find yourself in a position of feeling that you have a voice in how they are spending money. In fact, most people would become quite judgmental, and understandably so.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM

^ smh oh goodness...seems like someone has a split personality.
who are the less fortunate? you or them? because it seems like
you feel like a victim of people on food stamps lol. i could care
less what food they buy with them myself really. it's a free country,
you know? a lot of people on welfare have more swag than other
people and budget their little money better too, but I'm not jealous
of them for doing it, so stop hating.

Last edited by 11KAP; 05-02-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Here is a simple analogy. Suppose you have a friend in truly dire straights, or so s/he says. You are not wealthy either, but you loan (or give) this person money because you feel that s/he is worse off at the moment. This is distributed in a number of payments.

Then, a bit down the road, you notice your friend buying lots of clothing, electronics, and so on - in other words, an indication of extra cash around. At the same time, this person does not make any sort of gesture toward paying you back; nor does s/he suggest that your payments should stop.

I think you would suddenly find yourself in a position of feeling that you have a voice in how they are spending money. In fact, most people would become quite judgmental, and understandably so.
You can't compare the two. That situation you just posted is a personal interaction between only those two people. In that case, you just stop giving them money and move on with your life. This is not the same for food stamps: we're talking about a country that has millions of people struggling financially and if the rules that you suggested were implemented, there would be serious consequences. As I said, it goes against the stance we often preach about freedom and liberty. And second, as I said before, most Americans pay taxes. Look at the Social Security tax, lower class (and middle class) people pay a high portion of their income than a wealthy family does. One-third of all payroll goes to a family earning more than $106,000. So going by your argument, the lower class family should dictate what the wealthy class should do with the tax money they pay...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City