Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Alot of these movies that people are mentioning on here really didn't portray NYC at its worst or dramatize but rather just described what life was like in the hood for most people back in the 80s and 90s... classic case, Juice.
Yo, what about that Movie "Fresh" back in '94, it was Forrest Whitaker's debut as a director. Good flick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Yo, what about that Movie "Fresh" back in '94, it was Forrest Whitaker's debut as a director. Good flick.
Boaz Yakin would be a little surprised to hear that.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ twist, drovers right... looked it up online but thats another good flick... Its just that I gotta special place for juice cause i was coming out of high school when it came out and kids are real impressionable at that age... Also that film showed the type of dude Tupac really was... That wasn't really acting. Dude could be a good guy one minute and then flip on you the next... I feel bad for him though cause word is he got killed cause he didn't want to join the Bloods and people always talk about how he was more of a thug artist than Biggy but I really don't know where they get that from... If you listen to his songs, most of it is just real talk about his life and the struggles he went through and the dude loves his mom...

For those interested some songs to check out

Keep ya head up
Dear Mama
Until the end of time
Ghetto Gospel
Pain- My favorite out of all of them... love the flow of that song, OGs part is okay but Pac shows you his life in that song...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:10 PM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
Any old Andy Warhol movies. The Naked City (1948). West Side Story also takes you way back when. Bronx Tale. Coffy. Prince of the City. The Panic in Needle Park (stars Al Pacino).

One that I haven't seen, but have heard of: "The Night They Raided Minsky's" made in 1968, starring Britt Ekland as a 1920s stripper in the Lower East Side.

More recent stuff... Tupac Shakur movies Juice and Off the Rim. Paid In Full. Belly. A Bronx Tale.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Boaz Yakin would be a little surprised to hear that.
LOL, wow you're right, where the hell did I get Forrest Whitaker from? I have the movie on bootleg on top of that.

@ anon1, Juice was an ill movie. I love that era in hip hop (early 90's), and alot of people couldn't really understand where Pac was coming from, his mission was deeper than being a thug and he didn't glorify gangbanging whatsoever. "Above the Rim" was a good flick, but I don't think it showed the chaos of NY like that back then.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
LOL, wow you're right, where the hell did I get Forrest Whitaker from? I have the movie on bootleg on top of that.

@ anon1, Juice was an ill movie. I love that era in hip hop (early 90's), and alot of people couldn't really understand where Pac was coming from, his mission was deeper than being a thug and he didn't glorify gangbanging whatsoever. "Above the Rim" was a good flick, but I don't think it showed the chaos of NY like that back then.
Lets not forget HE GOT GAME. Also the 25th HOUR.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not forget HE GOT GAME. Also the 25th HOUR.
He got game made alot of people realize how hood Coney Island is, 25th hour was a good flick, loved it, but it didn't make NY look grimy like the other flicks. I like the Dumbo club thing though.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM

61 posts, read 145,746 times
People have already mentioned Taxi Driver and Midnight Cowboy. Kids is another movie that I would say really shined a light on NYC living.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Sex and the City has my vote. It is like the TV cultural equivalent of the housing boom-and-bust. Most writers would need to work 20 years straight in NYC to have Carrie Bradshaw's shoe closet. I never even really liked the style of any of the characters on the show. I prefer beat-up vintage Converse slip-ons any day over a $600 pair of Lanvins I'd probably ruin in 2 hours but maybe that's just me. Carrie Bradshaw: "I like my money right where I can see it... hanging in my closet." Me: "I like my money in the bank, where it can earn interest." I love NYC but I don't do pretentious, especially fake pretentious. That's my opinion of many of the wannabe transplants who move to NYC to live out their weird SATC fantasies. Hell, I was a transplant and they annoyed the crap out of me. I can't imagine how intolerable it must be as a native lol!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-17-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Godzilla
Cloverfield
Diehard 3
Carlito's Way
Devil's Advocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City