Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,229 times

Advertisements

which stations in Brooklyn and queens does the J train run above the ground? is this a safe line during the day time? I believe it passes through the 'dangerous' neigborhood of East New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
which stations in Brooklyn and queens does the J train run above the ground? is this a safe line during the day time? I believe it passes through the 'dangerous' neigborhood of East New York.
It's safe to ride during the day. I wouldn't ride it at night, although chances are you'll be alright as long as you look like you know where you're going and fit in. As a personal anecdote, my friend's had friends visiting from out of town that rode the J at night, were looking at a map, and were robbed at gunpoint - likely because they looked lost. They were traumatized and wanted to go home early after that experience. I wouldn't recommend traveling alone at night.

Most of the areas under the J in Queens are reasonably safe but not great neighborhoods. In Brooklyn, the neighborhoods under the J are mostly unsafe.

The J train runs on el tracks all the way to Jamaica after you leave Manhattan.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,229 times
Thank You for ue detailed reply!

This is scary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
my friend's had friends visiting from out of town that rode the J at night, were looking at a map, and were robbed at gunpoint - likely because they looked lost.
you say the train rund el in BK and Queens, so would that mean el stations are not safe? I always thought el stations are safer!!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Thank You for ue detailed reply!

This is scary:

you say the train rund el in BK and Queens, so would that mean el stations are not safe? I always thought el stations are safer!!
It doesn't matter whether the station is underground or up on a trestle, it's WHO is in the station/on the train with you that determines whether you better watch out or not.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
The J runs above ground from Marcy Ave to Sutphin Blvd. The areas between Myrtle Ave and Crescent Street are a little dicey, but nothing to panic about. Just use basic street smarts like you would anywhere else.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,854 times
I used to ride the J train day and night for many years when i commuted to law school and my job on Wall Street. I used to get off at Forest Parkway-85th street at all sorts of hours. I was never robbed. Just mind your business and avoid altercations. As long as you are alert you should be fine. The "danger" stops run from Marcy Ave to about Cypress Hills.

There is a transfer point at Broadway Junction (where you can transfer to the A) and that particular station can be dangerous but there are many cops that patrol that part.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I used to ride the J train day and night for many years when i commuted to law school and my job on Wall Street. I used to get off at Forest Parkway-85th street at all sorts of hours. I was never robbed. Just mind your business and avoid altercations. As long as you are alert you should be fine. The "danger" stops run from Marcy Ave to about Cypress Hills.

There is a transfer point at Broadway Junction (where you can transfer to the A) and that particular station can be dangerous but there are many cops that patrol that part.
I disagree on your description of the "danger" stops. Any stop west of Flushing Avenue is actually pretty safe now. Maybe not 15 years ago, but definitely safe now. I would say to take precaution from Flushing Avenue to Elderts Lane.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Anywhere is fine during the day. At night it gets progressively sketchier from about Flushing Ave. going east on out to Broadway Junction, which is ENY and to be avoided. Past that I don't really know as I rarely went out that far on the J unless I was going to JFK. Everything west of Flushing Ave is basically Williamsburg and is green zone at any hour IMO.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I disagree on your description of the "danger" stops. Any stop west of Flushing Avenue is actually pretty safe now. Maybe not 15 years ago, but definitely safe now. I would say to take precaution from Flushing Avenue to Elderts Lane.
I agree.

Woodhaven to 121st isn't as bad as that stretch, but I doubt you'll feel at home there either unless you're used to seeing gritty urban environments. Jamaica Ave under the el tracks looks like Nightmare on Elm Street in that area of Queens - rusted tracks, desolate, old run down mom and pop stores, people posted up on random corners and alleyways in the middle of the night looking like they're up to no good. It feels really old and run down.

I speak from first hand experience, I lived just off Jamaica Ave in Woodhaven, and I've seen people running from cops, cops taking people away from apartment buildings almost weekly. It just doesn't feel like a safe area anymore. Back in the day it used to be good. At times I would prefer to just take the R to Queens Center mall then take the bus down to Jamaica ave because I didn't want to ride the J through Brooklyn. However, I will say in the morning, during the day and after work, you really shouldn't have any problems. It's mainly late at night that I would avoid riding the J alone.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 AM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
I am a train operator and I worked the J line Saturday nights into Sunday morning for 6 months last year so my opinion is based on actual experience working the line. The line itslef goes through some rough areas. I have seen gangs get on the train , I have had fights occur on the train , and there was a gang assault-homicide at 85th-Forest Parkway last summer that made the news although it was not front page material and if memory serves me I believe the victim was a case of mistaken identity.
As other posters have stated , if you look street smart and pay attention , you should generally be ok. Once Sunday morning came after 5:30am it was a different world with the drunks and troublemakers gone and seeing people dressed up for church and going to work and families out. That line from what you see on a Saturday night into Sunday morning from 2-5 a.m. and from 6-9 a.m. is like being in two different worlds.
As far as stops go , ironically most problems I saw occurred in Manhattan at Essex street. In 6 months I had 4 incidents at that station that I had to either personally get involved in or call the cops for. Broadway Junction can be dangerous at all times of the day.
I have not personally seen any incidents at the Myrtle Ave train station - I also did M shuttles at night and changing ends at Myrtle Ave , but I would on occasion see police activity by the turnstiles and down on the street below.
All in all it is rough on that line in comparison with other neighborhoods in Brooklyn BUT it is much better than it was 10/20 years ago. Just look like you are alert and paying attention and stay near the motorman or conductor if you are scared and alert them if you are in any danger. All in all my guess is you should be ok as long as you avoid the drunks and kids looking for trouble on Friday and Saturday nights.
If you want to see real wildness , ride the A line Friday and Saturday nights in Brooklyn. I saw a gang fight at Shepherd Ave and called the cops one Friday night. Funny thing was it was girls brawling with guys watching and the girls were tearing each others clothes off , and everytone was standing in the trains doorways watching and doing nothing. And then when the fight was over all the combatants left together as if nothing happened. Maybe was a gang initiation or something , I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City