Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times

Advertisements

We have looked around for apartments in Queens. We need a 2 bd because we have a 2 month old and I need to be closer to work (we live in LI). I know it's hard to find cheap rent in this city. We would ultimately like to get a place for 1200-1400 with some utilities included. We are shooting for Astoria, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Flushing, Bayside, and maybe Elmhurst. We have a car so we need an area with decent parking options. Obviously with a child safety is a big deal so something in a lower crime area is optimal. We have checked out Bayside and like the feel. I've been to Forest Hills and Rego Park and liked it as well although Rego Park is a little boring. Never been to Astoria or Flushing so not sure the feel there.

We have only looked on CL so far. Where else is good to look and whats the best way to score lower rents? Walk around the area and look for signs? Realtor? Ads? Luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Check Ridgewood... The neighborhood is more working class than some of the areas you mentioned but it isn't a dangerous neighborhood to live in by any means... crime'll happen in every neighborhood but you can definitely find what you are looking for in this neighborhood and won't have to worry about the crime that occurs since it is generally isolated to those looking for trouble... Best bet in terms of safety is to look closer to the area by Fresh Pond Rd. avenues like Forest, Grandview, Fairview, and I'd say the block after Woodward by Onderdonk are solid choices, woodward itself though deeper in queens than onderdonk can be shadier at times, again not dangerous but not as safe as other parts... the 6 family apartment buildings that are within these avenues will either have a number like 60-22, 59-17, or 20-49, 18-64, once you get into the 1700s and 1600s you are getting closer to the Bushwick border and there aren't as many good blocks over there as you would find within the other avenues... Best of luck in your search and if you cannot find within the areas you are looking in, try Ridgewood, I've lived here for 15 years and personally I think this area is at its best right now since I moved here...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I assume you are working in Manhattan?

Try Jersey City, especially if work is on the West Side or the Financial District. Astoria if you're on the East Side. Keep working your way farther into Queens until you can find the price point.
Here's something in Rego Park but it sounds like a come-on:
http://regopark.olx.com/amazing-2-be...h-iid-17739521

Remember, living in NJ can save you about 4% of your salary by avoiding the NYC Personal Income Tax on City residents.

But in truth, your 1200-1400 is going to be tough for a 2 bedroom most anywhere close.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-19-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM

I don't mind being farther away. We live in the middle of LI right now. I just need to be near transportation to get into the city whether it be LIRR or bus or subway. I just don't want to go over 50 minutes total commute. I work on 38th and 7th so I'm right near Penn.

I will deff check out Ridgewood. I see a lot of affordable prices on CL so it's worth a shot.

Jersey City wouldn't work because my gf works on the outskirts of Queens.

Any places to check to find deals on apartments?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM

A one bedroom would work as long as it's a very large one bedroom. We have to fit a crib in there but it could work!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Too bad about the girlfriend because the PATH train from Newport (Jersey City) to 33rd and Sixth is a 14 minute ride and it runs 24/7. Ot is also one of the safest areas in the metropolitan area.

Where in Queens does girlfriend work? Perhaps if YOU cannot be close to work, might as well keep HER close to work.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM

She works in New Hyde Park. Tech LI but so close to Queens. That's why Forest Hills or Kew Gardens would work it's just finding affordable 1 bd with enough room. We took a look at a place in FH that was 1425 all utilities except electric incl and was HUGE. Problem is there was a guy before coming from China whose company would be paying for it ahead of us so likely we are out of luck on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City