Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 AM

80 posts, read 174,477 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Let me put it down once and for all. To assist those who ask the question, "is it safe?".

1. It does not matter that you are White. There are plenty of White-Hispanics, long-term Anglo-American residents and new arrivals scattered across upper Manhattan. What does matter is your mannerisms, style of dress, and speech.

2. High poverty neighborhoods. Despite what anyone tells you the entire areas are crime prone. Yes there are those hot pockets (where you do NOT want to live) and "quiet" blocks (what you are looking for) but everything is in such close proximity. It's high density so there are many different kinds of people nearby. People in the neighborhood are struggling to pay the bills. There are a lot of youth always hanging out on the streets. There is a very lucrative and active drug trade. Few people are highly educated, many high school dropouts.

3. It's all about your tolerance for these things. Generally those who are getting murdered or violently assaulted are involved in drugs or long term personal disputes with other residents. Muggings are pretty random but if your not always hanging out on the streets at night I would not worry about it. Remember you get what you pay for.

I hope I helped out. That is very real information.

Would I live in a high poverty area? Yes if necessary, but I am from the city. Ideal community, no way. Place to rest at night, yes. There is still a lot to be done in these communities. You are not going to find great local retail and other amenities. Some are further along then others. Some very nice luxury condos going up however that could tip the scale for a potential buyer. Other pros include transit access and nearby redevelopment projects.

Examples of high poverty areas: Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood, Bushwick, the South Bronx, East NY, Brownsville/Ocean Hill, Bed-Stuy, Coney Island, South Side Jamaica, Far Rockaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
You might have helped out a tiny bit more if you mentioned that feeling safe is an entirely subjective notion. It's up to the individual.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
that feeling safe is an entirely subjective notion
While FEELING safe may be subjective, BEING safe is quite objective. Ones feelings will not protect him from a drive-by shooting, or a mugging, or a burglary. Feeling safe won't protect your child from being beaten at school.

Proper balance of feeling and objective reality should be the goal...one should feel safe if he IS, and feel unsafe if he is NOT.

Feeling safe in an unsafe area can be VERY dangerous. Better to feel unsafe in a safe place...neurotic but bettter.

So no, there is nothing subjective about danger.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM

148 posts, read 271,290 times
I think its pretty self explanitory that for a city the size of New York with what is it? 8 million people living there,that there will be crime,homelesness,unsavoury places/people. But surely that is mostly the case for a lot of people in the world.

I know it is the case for me living in the UK.When I have visited NY I couldnt help but notice the police presence,and in my experience using the safety and common sense you use at home will serve you well.
Dont let yours/other peoples and or TV distort your view of NY,it is an amazing city go and see for yourself!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
Dont let yours/other peoples and or TV distort your view of NY,it is an amazing city go and see for yourself!

I think This is the BIGGEST problem with people's perception of NY. If you go based on what you see on TV you will only see the two extremes of the city nothing inbetween its a typical black and white situation. Hello people there is a gray! (btw very off topic, but are gray and grey both correct?) Anyway people who view NYC on TV see either
A) Super poor, crime filled area, filled with projects, drive bys and mugging
or
B) Totally unrealistic, times square/ broadway lifestyle where you spend all your time on broadway watching plays, going to boutiques, marqius, and walking down the street to see Derek Jeter or Kim Kardashian.

What people fail to look at is yes both of these circumstances do exist but there are also places who are in the city that are normal, with private houses, quiet neighboorhoods, and the convinence of a city with deli's and bodegas on the corner. I think that people who are moving into the area tend to be filled with the poor, projects, mugging perception so they begin to expect something that has a 0.008% crime rate which is very unlikely.

I understant someone concerned with high crime numbers like 10 murders, 20 rapes etc, and 75% crime rate, But when an area has a 10% crime rate, with 1 murder, 2 rapes, and the rest of petty crimes that means an area is relatively safe.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

31 posts, read 53,685 times
There are definitely some very not so safe areas, but its not as bad a it used to be. The city is getting much safer. It depends on where you want to live too.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
Ugh. Let me put it down once and for all. To assist those who ask the question, "is it safe?".

1. It does not matter that you are White. There are plenty of White-Hispanics, long-term Anglo-American residents and new arrivals scattered across upper Manhattan. What does matter is your mannerisms, style of dress, and speech.

2. High poverty neighborhoods. Despite what anyone tells you the entire areas are crime prone. Yes there are those hot pockets (where you do NOT want to live) and "quiet" blocks (what you are looking for) but everything is in such close proximity. It's high density so there are many different kinds of people nearby. People in the neighborhood are struggling to pay the bills. There are a lot of youth always hanging out on the streets. There is a very lucrative and active drug trade. Few people are highly educated, many high school dropouts.

3. It's all about your tolerance for these things. Generally those who are getting murdered or violently assaulted are involved in drugs or long term personal disputes with other residents. Muggings are pretty random but if your not always hanging out on the streets at night I would not worry about it. Remember you get what you pay for.

Would I live in a high poverty area? Yes if necessary, but I am from the city. Ideal community, no way. Place to rest at night, yes. There is still a lot to be done in these communities. You are not going to find great local retail and other amenities. Some are further along then others. Some very nice luxury condos going up however that could tip the scale for a potential buyer. Other pros include transit access and nearby redevelopment projects.

Examples of high poverty areas: Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood, Bushwick, the South Bronx, East NY, Brownsville/Ocean Hill, Bed-Stuy, Coney Island, South Side Jamaica, Far Rockaway.

Thank you, you laid it out well and hopefully killed alot of b.s. notions about these areas.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
While FEELING safe may be subjective, BEING safe is quite objective. Ones feelings will not protect him from a drive-by shooting, or a mugging, or a burglary. Feeling safe won't protect your child from being beaten at school.

Proper balance of feeling and objective reality should be the goal...one should feel safe if he IS, and feel unsafe if he is NOT.

Feeling safe in an unsafe area can be VERY dangerous. Better to feel unsafe in a safe place...neurotic but bettter.

So no, there is nothing subjective about danger.
Exactly. One's feelings won't protect him from getting mugged or stabbed in an area touted as "safe" as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
I say let the hipsters have the "up and coming" areas. I'll stick with my cheaper, and MUCH safer, NO CRIME area

Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
The I'm liberal, I tolerate people, I'm not involved in crime, I don't offend anyone, why would anyone hurt me? Therefore I can walk past the projects on Webster at 2.30 AM is a very dangerous thinking pattern and might get you killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City