Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a pretty simple question. For some background: I was born in Queens and spent a decent chunk of my childhood there. My parents moved to ruralish PA when I was a kid. I've visited plenty of times since then, and know my way around some of the neighborhoods that some extended family lives in/has lived in. Glendale, Ridgewood, Maspeth. And I've of course been to the city plenty. I currently live in Center City Philadelphia and quite love it. However, my wife and I are both working rather crappy jobs, and recently decided that we'd incorporate New York City into our job searches, since it's pretty easy and affordable to take a day trip for a job interview.

We're both in our mid 20's. 4 year degrees in the liberal arts.

So, that's where I'm coming from. Odds are we won't be moving to NYC, but I'd like to have somewhat of an idea of neighborhoods we should be looking at so we're not stressed out if it happens and we have to act quick. Brooklyn or Queens are probably what we're looking at. The main criteria:

1) A confluence of affordability and access. I get that it's expensive to live in New York, so affordability is relative. Right now in pay a little under 1000/month for a 1 bedroom in Rittenhouse Square, Philly. We both walk to work, or occasionally I'll take the subway home if I'm lazy. It's a great deal - and I know that in New York I'll be paying more and not living in the center of things (which is fine - we really only live in Center City Philly out of chance). I'd prefer to keep rent reasonable - going into things, I guess my estimate would be 1200 per month for a not-fancy not-huge one bedroom apartment with a little bit of flexibility (but please feel free to let me know if I'm off base with this - I won't take it badly, I mostly want a realistic idea). For that, I'd also like to be able to walk to the subway. It doesn't have to be "close" to Manhattan - just a relatively quick walk to a subway station, and after I'm on the train, it doesn't really matter how long of a trip it is to where it is I'm going.

2) Crime. Demographics. I get how cities work, and I don't particularly need or want to live in a completely gentrified neighborhood. Stable blue collar neighborhoods are just fine - even preferable. Diverse neighborhoods - in the ways of race, income, education, religion are good. What actually tends to be the most appealing neighborhoods to us are the ones that people argue about whether they're actually nice/safe/etc..

That's pretty much it, really. I could have written less, I suppose. Really, somewhere like Ridgewood, Queens - close to the train line would be the kind of place we're looking for. Because of the fact I'm not really all that familiar with the city as a whole, I just wanted some feedback on other places to keep in mind. Feel free to suggest neighborhoods that may not quite fit, too. Like if something may be just a "little too expensive" or "a bit rougher" than some people would like. Because we'll keep them in mind at least.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 AM

119 posts, read 249,903 times
$1200 isn't an impossible budget for a one bedroom for Queens. You should find suitable apartments with that budget. Aside from the neighborhoods you mentioned, I'd look in Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, or Forest Hills. Maspeth I would rule out just because there's no access to the subway--it's the LIRR there, and that's significantly more expensive than the subway.

On the whole, Brooklyn tends to be more expensive than Queens, except for further out neighborhoods like Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst...and the commute to midtown from those places is too long for my liking.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I agree w/ Tracer. I would also add Woodside, Elmhurst and Rego Park to the list of affordable & near the subway options. You might also look at Kew Gardens as well, though I really don't know much about it except it has an E/F train and is supposed to be a nice enough neighborhood.

I would encourage you to look closely at an MTA map -- you can find one online -- and just follow the stops out in Queens. You can compare it with a google map. I am not sure if there is a google map that has the MTA map superimposed on it, but you could check.

The neighborhoods that are served by these train lines that you may be interested in are already listed above -- on the 7, recommended neighborhoods are Sunnyside, Woodside and Jackson Heights. Long Island City (closest to Manhattan) is going to be too expensive for you. Past Jackson Heights is Corona, which for me is ok to walk through but I wouldn't want to live there. At the very end is Flushing, which you could look at as well, as it may have good deals. It is predominantly Asian.

On the E/R/M you could look at Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Each neighborhood is really quite different with different amenties and different kinds of immigrants. All the areas have significant numbers of immigrants. Elmhurst is kind of a hidden gem in that it is a decent working class neighborhood, very affordable and parts of it have great subway access. It is totally unhip and off the radar of most Americans moving into NYC, so you might just be able to find yourself a good deal. I am friends with two couples who live there; both are mixed American-South American couples.

Astoria is a no-brainer but is going to be more expensive than the other neighborhoods listed. You still might find something in your range. I don't know much about Ridgewood but that's a good place to look, too.

Besides googling each neighborhood and trying to get an overview, you could also check out yelp.com for each neighborhood and see which types of businesses and amenities pop up.

In Brooklyn, look at Bay Ridge, Kensington and Ditmas Park.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
$1200 isn't an impossible budget for a one bedroom for Queens. You should find suitable apartments with that budget. Aside from the neighborhoods you mentioned, I'd look in Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, or Forest Hills. Maspeth I would rule out just because there's no access to the subway--it's the LIRR there, and that's significantly more expensive than the subway.

On the whole, Brooklyn tends to be more expensive than Queens, except for further out neighborhoods like Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst...and the commute to midtown from those places is too long for my liking.
Maspeth doesn't even have the LIRR. There used to be a station nearby, but it closed down, so now there are just a few trains a day that run through the neighborhood but don't stop.

And Sunset Park isn't a bad commute. You can get to Lower Manhattan in less than 30 minutes. (And it fits the OP's definition of an area where people argue if it's safe)

Plus, like he said, he doesn't mind if the travel time on the subway is long, as long as he's near a subway station (I just hope he's aware that he isn't going to get a seat during rush hour if he's in an area like Sunset Park. He'd have to be near the beginning of a subway line)

Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Hi,

I think you'd need to go more than 1200. Sure you can find apts for that money, but they aren't very attractive, and surely w/b a step down from what you presently have. They will be old and many w/b dumps.

1500 or 1600 would get a nicer place, but nothing fancy at all.

1800 to 2000 would get you a new apartment in a new building, with some amenities.

These rents are dead on for Astoria, and carry for most areas of Queens.

I would think you would want to be near your family. Though, I think in those areas you'd need to take the bus to the subway.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! You turned me onto some places I didn't really know about before, and some that I had heard of but didn't know if they'd fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
(I just hope he's aware that he isn't going to get a seat during rush hour if he's in an area like Sunset Park. He'd have to be near the beginning of a subway line)
Yeah - I've never had a car and have relied on a couple of different public transit systems in different cities. I'm used to standing on trains and buses and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Hi,

I think you'd need to go more than 1200. Sure you can find apts for that money, but they aren't very attractive, and surely w/b a step down from what you presently have. They will be old and many w/b dumps.

I would think you would want to be near your family. Though, I think in those areas you'd need to take the bus to the subway.
I don't mind old, but do prefer a place that's not a dump. Right now I pay a good 500 dollars less than the median rent for my neighborhood, but am pretty happy with my apartment. I looked at more expensive places that were definitely dumps though. But it sounds like from what you're saying, I'm probably at least close to a decent estimate, which is great. Like I said in my OP, this is all hypothetical at this point anyway, as we're just starting to incorporate NYC into our job search. So I don't really know that the financial situation would be should we have to make a move. I'd rather err on the cheaper side at first, though.

Also - for anyone else who might reply, I actually don't care that much about living near the little remaining family I have in Queens. There are only a couple people there any more that I do not know well.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I don't mind old, but do prefer a place that's not a dump. Right now I pay a good 500 dollars less than the median rent for my neighborhood, but am pretty happy with my apartment. I looked at more expensive places that were definitely dumps though.
Perhaps you might like the dumps. Of course, its subjective.

Quote:
But it sounds like from what you're saying, I'm probably at least close to a decent estimate, which is great. Like I said in my OP, this is all hypothetical at this point anyway, as we're just starting to incorporate NYC into our job search. So I don't really know that the financial situation would be should we have to make a move. I'd rather err on the cheaper side at first, though.
No one wants to waste money, but NYC is less like other places than you may realize.

Erring on the low side, could mean finding yourself w/o choice, with ONLY dumps being affordable. Better to err on the upside, and making your decision based on whether you find jobs which can support the upside. If not, then the move may not be satisfactory.

Again, there is the subjective. Perhaps frugality is more important than quality. There are those in this forum who think this way.

Quote:
Also - for anyone else who might reply, I actually don't care that much about living near the little remaining family I have in Queens. There are only a couple people there any more that I do not know well.
Perhaps, a good way to connecct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: