Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,427,522 times

Advertisements

good luck with that, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM

106 posts, read 353,387 times
If I was on a tight budget and a new transplant to NY, I would consider bay ridge. Based on market trends, currently you can still find a studio under $1100 there. While Astoria is hip and can get you to midtown, Brooklyn has so much more hip neighborhoods an easy train ride away.

Bay Ridge is traditionally an Italian, Greek and Asian family oriented neighborhood...so it's quite safe and low-key in terms of quality of life which is good. Though the restaurants/bars are sporadic and spread out, there is pretty good variety there.

Aside from Bay Ridge, you could probably easily pay $800~1000 to share with 2 or 3 other people in hipper parts of Brooklyn (which are a little closer to the city).

I'm not a fan of Greenpoint. The G train sucks at all times. The restaurants and bars are extremely spread out...most of the buildings there are lofts or old warehouses, has a very industrial vibe, and it can get pretty sketchy at night. Definitely not as charming as the rest of Brownstone Brooklyn or bay ridge/bensonhurst

Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,368,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachela0525 View Post
Thank you EastBound!! I definitely know what Im getting myself into. I lived in Chicago for 5 years, and while NYC is VERY different, at least this time I know that the expenses side of it is not something to take lightly. It will be hard work and I know at times I'll just want to pick up and leave, but then I will remember that this has been a goal of mine since I was about 15. For ten years, I wanted to be a part of the hustle & bustle and be successful. Now is my chance.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I really hate to **** on your parade but the amount of people who come here and "succeed" are few and far between without prior success elsewhere. At 25 you're already behind the game in terms of success in NYC. The successful mid 20's folks in NYC are already climbing the ranks and making 6 figures.

What field do you want to succeed in?
What's your definition of "success"?

You're putting the cart before the horse if you're already thinking of being "a part of the hustle & bustle". You need money in this city to live like that but where are you going to get it? Nobody just walks into a high paying job in the city.

If you want to just live in NYC while living paycheck to paycheck and not really being part of any hustle or bustle then that's doable.

Take it from a native. This is NYC (as in the 5 Boroughs) in a gist; a vast underclass (working class/welfare class), a shrinking city employee/union middle class, and a small (compared to the other 2) growing but highly specialized upper middle and upper class.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,025,785 times
Assuming that you don't find a job in a year--that 15k will probably be spent on rent alone in a decent neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM

52 posts, read 133,305 times
People like you make me want to move even more.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
good luck with that, son.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Something tells me you're not successful. It's funny that people come on here to get A-D-V-I-C-E, not to be bashed by people like YOU. If you dont have advice, don't post. Nothing in your post was helpful.

You dont know the kind of person I am. You can't mess with my mentality and my drive to be successful in the city. I am focused & determined. If you go back a few posts, I say it's not going to be easy. I could go on but I dont owe you an explanation... because obviously you dont READ posts before crapping on peoples parade. Guess what? I dont have a parade yet. That's why Im on this forum. . To get advice and learn.

That's all. You're dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I really hate to **** on your parade but the amount of people who come here and "succeed" are few and far between without prior success elsewhere. At 25 you're already behind the game in terms of success in NYC. The successful mid 20's folks in NYC are already climbing the ranks and making 6 figures.

What field do you want to succeed in?
What's your definition of "success"?

You're putting the cart before the horse if you're already thinking of being "a part of the hustle & bustle". You need money in this city to live like that but where are you going to get it? Nobody just walks into a high paying job in the city.

If you want to just live in NYC while living paycheck to paycheck and not really being part of any hustle or bustle then that's doable.

Take it from a native. This is NYC (as in the 5 Boroughs) in a gist; a vast underclass (working class/welfare class), a shrinking city employee/union middle class, and a small (compared to the other 2) growing but highly specialized upper middle and upper class.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Moving on --

I was also pondering what to do with my stuff. I think I just want to sell all my bigger things (dressers, bed, futon). It's just a hassle to have to move it. Plus, if I'm going to get a share, I see a lot of those postings are furnished already. I live in Kentucky now - it's a long haul to New York with so many things.

My mother also has a storage unit Im sure I could put some stuff in, but a part of me just says sell it and pocket the $ for the move.

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,180,858 times
Quote:
Moving on --

I was also pondering what to do with my stuff. I think I just want to sell all my bigger things (dressers, bed, futon). It's just a hassle to have to move it. Plus, if I'm going to get a share, I see a lot of those postings are furnished already. I live in Kentucky now - it's a long haul to New York with so many things.

My mother also has a storage unit Im sure I could put some stuff in, but a part of me just says sell it and pocket the $ for the move.

Thoughts?
Sell the stuff. You will feel lighter.

It can be VERY expensive to move larger items from one part of the country to another. Just get rid of it.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,368,189 times
Quote:
Something tells me you're not successful. It's funny that people come on here to get A-D-V-I-C-E, not to be bashed by people like YOU. If you dont have advice, don't post. Nothing in your post was helpful.

You dont know the kind of person I am. You can't mess with my mentality and my drive to be successful in the city. I am focused & determined. If you go back a few posts, I say it's not going to be easy. I could go on but I dont owe you an explanation... because obviously you dont READ posts before crapping on peoples parade. Guess what? I dont have a parade yet. That's why Im on this forum. . To get advice and learn.

That's all. You're dismissed.

I'm just giving it to you straight up.

I'm sure you have lots of drive and a strong mentality but I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody gives a ****. Your drive and mentality is replicated millions of times over in this city. What's so special about you?

If your drive and mentality is as strong as you say then you'd have already landed a great job like so many other young folks in this city. Why haven't you?

I'm giving you advice and it's the best advice you'll get. Unless you're coming over with some specialized skillset then you will not make it (anywhere close to) big here barring some great luck.

I'm not advising you not to come. Move here. I don't see a problem with it nor do I really care. There's no shame in trying. I'm just advising you on what the reality is.

I'm advising you on how NYC really works.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-22-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM

180 posts, read 335,875 times
You can do it..

I moved to NYC several years ago right into UES Manhattan - still live here - on much much less than what you have.. and after two months found a job in a hotel as a F&B Manager - this was at the beginning of summer. The fact that you're wanting to come in September is good because it will be the beginning of fourth quarter and the start of "holiday season" for hotels (summer is over and people are back in the city doing business). You may even want to shoot for August to get an early jump on job openings.

Also, if you're looking for a management position at a hotel.. start doing a little homework on hotel unions. It may help you during an interview - you may not have direct experience with unions, but the fact that you understand them and are aware of what they entail may help you shine a little.

Good luck... and not to sound cliche, but if I "made it" here in NYC.. anyone can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City