Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm just giving it to you straight up.

I'm sure you have lots of drive and a strong mentality but I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody gives a ****. Your drive and mentality is replicated millions of times over in this city. What's so special about you?

If your drive and mentality is as strong as you say then you'd have already landed a great job like so many other young folks in this city. Why haven't you?

I'm giving you advice and it's the best advice you'll get. Unless you're coming over with some specialized skillset then you will not make it (anywhere close to) big here barring some great luck.

I'm not advising you not to come. Move here. I don't see a problem with it nor do I really care. There's no shame in trying. I'm just advising you on what the reality is.

I'm advising you on how NYC really works.
Apparently the only option to "making it" in nyc is to be JayZ? I think one can "make it" there without being rich and famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Quote:
I really hate to **** on your parade but the amount of people who come here and "succeed" are few and far between without prior success elsewhere. At 25 you're already behind the game in terms of success in NYC. The successful mid 20's folks in NYC are already climbing the ranks and making 6 figures.

What field do you want to succeed in?
What's your definition of "success"?

You're putting the cart before the horse if you're already thinking of being "a part of the hustle & bustle". You need money in this city to live like that but where are you going to get it? Nobody just walks into a high paying job in the city.

If you want to just live in NYC while living paycheck to paycheck and not really being part of any hustle or bustle then that's doable.

Take it from a native. This is NYC (as in the 5 Boroughs) in a gist; a vast underclass (working class/welfare class), a shrinking city employee/union middle class, and a small (compared to the other 2) growing but highly specialized upper middle and upper class.
I understand what this person is saying but they are being a little dramatic. There are plenty of people who move in their mid twenties to further their careers in NYC. Actually, I think that makes more sense than moving with NO experience at all. Now THAT would be a struggle.

Also, research your field extensively and what current salaries are in both Kentucky and NYC. I know you already know this but 100K in Kentucky is much different from 100K in NYC. 100K in NYC is barely enough to live on your own in Manhattan. Certainly not enough to truly enjoy the lifestyle you are articulating. Think about housing costs and taxes as they will most likely eat two thirds of your salary. So, even if you find whatever 'success' looks like to you in Kentucky... in NYC it's just going to be simply getting by.

You absolutely should not bring your furniture. Either store it with family or sell it depending on your circumstances. It will just be a complete hassle to bring it with you. Just find a room that's already furnished, it's not difficult. Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen and plan around it but hope for the best. Always have an exit strategy and a large additional reserve of cash should things not work out as you wanted.

There's really no harm in trying to make your dream happen. I really doubt you couldn't find work. The reality is that the worst that would happen (and I've seen it happen) is that you do find a job but find it doesn't pay what you'd like and you get annoyed/frustrated. A lot of people just expect success to 'happen' overnight. It doesn't. It can take years. Maybe the real question to be asking yourself isn't 'can I survive in NYC?' but rather 'will I be happy living in NYC even if it doesn't live up to my expectations?'. Think about sharing a small place with several other people and approaching 30 with little savings and a lot of stress. That's more likely to be your scenario than any other. Also ask yourself how important a work/life balance is to you. Because in order to rise up the ladder you'll probably have to live, breathe, and sleep your job. Also, the fact you are offended with what others are saying says a lot. It's not Kentucky, people actually say what they think.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 03-23-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Apparently the only option to "making it" in nyc is to be JayZ? I think one can "make it" there without being rich and famous.
Making it would mean being comfortable and stable.
Sure OP can come here and live paycheck to pay check rooming with others while not having much disposable income but NYC isn't that fun without money. I guess many outsiders don't realize that.

There are plenty of folks who move here with good paying jobs/ careers in tow. That's the way to do it. this isn't the NYC of the 90s where one could just arrive, pick up a decent paying job (relative to the COL), and chill. Now there are either great jobs or ****ty jobs and the city is too expensive for the latter.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-23-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 AM

455 posts, read 651,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I understand what this person is saying but they are being a little dramatic. There are plenty of people who move in their mid twenties to further their careers in NYC. Actually, I think that makes more sense than moving with NO experience at all. Now THAT would be a struggle.

Also, research your field extensively and what current salaries are in both Kentucky and NYC. I know you already know this but 100K in Kentucky is much different from 100K in NYC. 100K in NYC is barely enough to live on your own in Manhattan. Certainly not enough to truly enjoy the lifestyle you are articulating. Think about housing costs and taxes as they will most likely eat two thirds of your salary. So, even if you find whatever 'success' looks like to you in Kentucky... in NYC it's just going to be simply getting by.

You absolutely should not bring your furniture. Either store it with family or sell it depending on your circumstances. It will just be a complete hassle to bring it with you. Just find a room that's already furnished, it's not difficult. Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen and plan around it but hope for the best. Always have an exit strategy and a large additional reserve of cash should things not work out as you wanted.

There's really no harm in trying to make your dream happen. I really doubt you couldn't find work. The reality is that the worst that would happen (and I've seen it happen) is that you do find a job but find it doesn't pay what you'd like and you get annoyed/frustrated. A lot of people just expect success to 'happen' overnight. It doesn't. It can take years. Maybe the real question to be asking yourself isn't 'can I survive in NYC?' but rather 'will I be happy living in NYC even if it doesn't live up to my expectations?'. Think about sharing a small place with several other people and approaching 30 with little savings and a lot of stress. That's more likely to be your scenario than any other. Also ask yourself how important a work/life balance is to you. Because in order to rise up the ladder you'll probably have to live, breathe, and sleep your job. Also, the fact you are offended with what others are saying says a lot. It's not Kentucky, people actually say what they think.
What?? 100K barely living in Manhattan?? If you make 100K and you live in Manhattan and you are struggling than you need personal finance classes. Unless, you like to live a sex and the city lifestyle than 100K is not enough. If you are going to live within your means than 100K is more than enough and more. There is a lot of affordable apts in Manhattan that are NOT luxury, don't have a doorman, elevator, etc.

As for the OP - Bring you A game. Resume, interviewing skills, references etc. Plan a parachute as well. 8.2 million nyc residents, + nys, nj, and ct residents + domestic and international job-seekers moving here with your same goals = HEAVY DUTY COMPETITION.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
What?? 100K barely living in Manhattan?? If you make 100K and you live in Manhattan and you are struggling than you need personal finance classes. Unless, you like to live a sex and the city lifestyle than 100K is not enough. If you are going to live within your means than 100K is more than enough and more. There is a lot of affordable apts in Manhattan that are NOT luxury, don't have a doorman, elevator, etc.

As for the OP - Bring you A game. Resume, interviewing skills, references etc. Plan a parachute as well. 8.2 million nyc residents, + nys, nj, and ct residents + domestic and international job-seekers moving here with your same goals = HEAVY DUTY COMPETITION.
What's the point of living in the city if you're going to slum it?

Just move to an outer borough where the rent is cheaper, food/groceries are cheaper, amenities are cheaper, etc. and save more of your earnings.

If you want to live a normal NYC and enjoy it a bit then 100k doesn't seem so much:

75k after taxes.

36k w/o roommate in a decent building

utilities/cell phone : 3k/year

1.3k for transportation

2.4k/year ($10/day) just for a decent lunch every working day

5k/year ($100/week) for groceries per year

3.6k/year to eat out on the weekends (say $35 meal each weekend day)

5k/year for bars

------

That alone is 55k+ right there without retirement, cash savings, emergency expenses, and discretionary consumption (electronics/clothing/etc.).

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-23-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM

455 posts, read 651,710 times
Quote:
What's the point of living in the city if you're going to slum it?

Just move to an outer borough where the rent is cheaper, food/groceries are cheaper, amenities are cheaper, etc. and save more of your earnings.

If you want to live a normal NYC and enjoy it a bit then 100k doesn't seem so much:

75k after taxes.

36k w/o roommate in a decent building

utilities/cell phone : 3k/year

1.3k for transportation

2.4k/year ($10/day) just for a decent lunch every working day

5k/year ($100/week) for groceries per year

3.6k/year to eat out on the weekends (say $35 meal each weekend day)

5k/year for bars

------

That alone is 55k+ right there without retirement, cash savings, emergency expenses, and discretionary consumption (electronics/clothing/etc.).
You don't have to slum it out. Just don't live beyond your means in any borough.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
All This ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachela0525 View Post
Something tells me you're not successful. It's funny that people come on here to get A-D-V-I-C-E, not to be bashed by people like YOU. If you dont have advice, don't post. Nothing in your post was helpful.

You dont know the kind of person I am. You can't mess with my mentality and my drive to be successful in the city. I am focused & determined. If you go back a few posts, I say it's not going to be easy. I could go on but I dont owe you an explanation... because obviously you dont READ posts before crapping on peoples parade. Guess what? I dont have a parade yet. That's why Im on this forum. . To get advice and learn.

That's all. You're dismissed.
If wawaweewa's little post upset you you're in for an education when you get here!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
You don't have to slum it out. Just don't live beyond your means in any borough.
That 55k of basic expenditures is not living above one's means. That's a normal comfortable lifestyle for a single professional making a good living.

All those folks living with 2 roommates and eating ramen just so they can say they live in the City are the ones living above their means.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
If wawaweewa's little post upset you you're in for an education when you get here!
Actually this is probably the most important thing to remember about NYC, there are 8+million people there, which they often say what they want because there are too many people there to care if what is being said hurts someone's feelings. Which also goes with, there are 8+million people there, so who cares what others think about what you are saying.

I have had friends that have moved there with the clothes on their backs and shared a tiny studio with someone who have all "made it" in the sense that they are able to enjoy their lives, live with in their means, and still be able to live comfortably by NYC standards.

I have also had friends who have moved there, struggled, and been completely put off by the lack of care or selfishness from New Yorkers (refer to by first paragraph by what I mean with selfishness.) So in the end, NYC is not for everyone, but there is nothing stopping you from moving there to figure that out. You definitely will not have the same lifestyle as you have in Kentucky, there will definitely be lots of changes and sacrifices you will have to make to make it work, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City