Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM

194 posts, read 623,062 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Does anyone have any information about this building (or the general area)? I'm looking at an apartment there (purchase), and know that area a bit, but any insider information would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 AM

393 posts, read 891,470 times
I don't know the area super well, but one of my close friends lives in Riverdale. He says it's one of the nicest parts of the city and a very desirable neighborhood. From what I've seen I tend to agree with him, but be careful because the real estate and rental industries are becoming very generous with the borders of desirable neighborhoods, and it may truly be in a worse neighborhood even though they call it Riverdale.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
I don't know the area super well, but one of my close friends lives in Riverdale. He says it's one of the nicest parts of the city and a very desirable neighborhood. From what I've seen I tend to agree with him, but be careful because the real estate and rental industries are becoming very generous with the borders of desirable neighborhoods, and it may truly be in a worse neighborhood even though they call it Riverdale.
In this case, it really is Riverdale. I just entered the address on Google Maps.

It came up with two hits, though. One is in zip code 10471 (by 254th Street, which is right in North Riverdale), and the other one is in zip code 10463 (by 237th Street, which would still be Riverdale, but further south)

Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default my maternal grandmother

lived a block from there for 25 years. one of the best areas in the city as a matter of fact. zip code 10471 doesn't touch any undesirable areas

Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It's a very stable neighborhood, west of Riverdale Avenue, and is generally quiet. The building in question is an older building, dating to the 1940s, and is well maintained from what I can recall driving by in the neighborhood. You are close to the shops at Skyview, the post office, and a few shops and restaurants across from the Skyview shopping plaza, while not being too far from Central Riverdale's shops and restaurants.

You are also on the road to the train station, so it makes for an easy commute via Metro-North, but don't plan on walking back, unless you bring your mountain climbing shoes. And, being a block from Riverdale Avenue puts you within easy reach of the local and express buses.

Many of the buildings have parking, so that's a definite plus if it comes with your unit, though you would have to pay separate maintenance on it, as with just about every co-op. Netherland is also not a through street, beginning and ending at several places in Riverdale, much like the next street over, Arlington Avenue. It can be confusing for directions, but nothing new for Riverdale, as some of the roads can be confusing to those not familiar with them.

The blocks immediately west of Riverdale Avenue tend to have clustered low to mid rise developments, set amid landscaped grounds, generally constructed in traditional red brick. Some complexes are large, and have fairly extensive grounds, which makes for pleasant views, even if the given building does not have river views. Overall, I would say that if the building's finance statements look good, and you like the apartment, there would be few drawbacks to the area -- perhaps the most noted would be separation from the subway.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks very much for the info, everyone. I know the area a bit and, as one poster said, it didn't seem to be bordering any of the less desirable areas of Riverdale (not that any part of Riverdale, IMO, could be considered "bad"). I've ridden my bike up in Riverdale many times, and often do my shopping up on Broadway (which is, I think, officially Kingsbridge), but I haven't spent much time that far north. I've walked through a couple of times from the bus stop, on the way to Wave Hill, but that's about it.

The building itself looks fine, if a bit worn, and the grounds are very lackluster - it's a shame, because they have so much green space, which could be very beautiful.

Minuses are that the unit is far from any subways stop, meaning reliance on Metro North or express bus - not only far more expensive, but also very infrequent service. I wouldn't mind spending the extra $$, but the train only runs about once an hour (save during rush hour). I'm afraid I might feel a bit isolated.

Other minus: not terribly close to a gym. Planet Fitness on W. 225th is an option, but I'd have to drive or bike ride. And now I'm spoiled, as I have a 5-minute walk.

Any other information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default you could join the Riverdale

YMHA which is on Arlington Ave and 256th street but it's likely to be more expensive than Planet Fitness

Old 09-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Thanks for that info; I checked their site and, while it's clear they offer a lot more than Planet Fitness in terms of facilities, it is indeed much more expensive - about 7-8X more expensive.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 PM

393 posts, read 891,470 times
maybe find a fitness club near where you're working instead?

Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
You can also become a member at The Whitehall without being a resident, which I think is currently about $900/annually for a single adult. TCR is in The Century, but it's a bit further away, and a bit more expensive. Both have pools, however, so that may be a consideration if you're used to a full-service club.

The local Bx7 bus goes to the subway in about 15-20 minutes to the A train at 207th or the 1 train at 215th/225th.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-04-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City