Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,775 times

Advertisements

THE 'WHITE' LIE | By BILL SANDERSON | New York News | New York City News | NY News

Except from what I have seen -- the NY Post seems to be understating the numbers. There is no way the white population could have declined in Queens since 2001 especially in most of Western Queens (except for East Elmhurst & Corona).

And it is not just NYC but in much of NJ as well especially Hudson County. Hoboken & Jersey City are really now extensions of Manhattan.

But the black population (especially american born african americans) has been declining in NYC fast -- mainly because of hostile attitudes of police, deep seated racism in most of the NYC metro area, and better housing & employment opportunities in other parts of the country. Plus lets not forget who co-op boards & landlords are more likely to deny housing to.

And the current white population is different than those who ran to the suburbs in the past -- now under 35, wealthy or coming from wealth, single, and maybe more tolerant of diversity & other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Are there any official census figures to back this up? Do you have a link?

EDIT: I just looked at this again. Is the Post not making a distinction between Non-hispanic whites and hispanic whites? If so, then yeah, you could say that the number of white people is growing; however those white people would be from Latin America, and most Americans would not consider them to be white.

Last edited by mead; 08-10-2007 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 12:45 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
Default NYC's Population Growth

August 9, 2007
Asians Make Broad Gains in New York Population
By SAM ROBERTS

Asians were the only major racial or ethnic group to record population gains in every county in the New York metropolitan region since 2005, according to census figures released yesterday.

Moderator cut: copyrights

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2007 at 02:47 AM..

Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,108 times
Default Whiteboys need to stay and fight

It is the working class whites who are on the way out. NY has always been this way. NY is very much a historical shell through which great churnings of people pass: there are practically no old New York families, practically no New York neighborhoods where familial lines extend more than a single generation or two.

It is too bad that the working class Irish, Italians and Germans deserted the city. The roots were beginning to take root, but it was not to be. There was a unique culture here but now it is near death and the mantle will have to picked up by the Hispanics and Asians taking over.

The white working class voluntarily abandoned their neighborhoods to seek refuge out in L.I. and NJ. This was a cultural mistake. The only excuse was the 1000's that were blockbusted out by scamming bankers forcing in Puerto Ricans and blacks during the 1960's and 1970's. The fleeing whites left behind a welfare slum, a crime filled, polarized mess of a city, where all are either upper class or a welfare recipient. Very little in the middle. Neighborhood after neighborhood was left to rot. Here is an article on the blockbusting scam for those lacking in NY history.
F.H.A. CASE RECALLS BUSHWICK IN 70'S - New York Times

Now in 2007 the working class whites are still running. They have been leaving for metro for the last 20 years from their L.I./NJ ivory tower safety zones to places like Florida, Arizona, Las Vegas, Texas and the Carolinas. Leaving the growing tax corruption of the NY suburb and the increasing pressure of minorities forcing their way out to the suburbs. Maybe these people remember the rioting and burning of the 1960's/1970's and do not want to see there home devalued/burned like what happened in the Bronx and Brooklyn. Maybe the whites that did stay in the 1980's/1990's warn of the massive crime wave and lack of safety that NY was known for in the post 1977 era.

Running away may be trouble. Now these whites are running to a vapid culture, they have landed in palookaville. You see many return to the area clamoring for things like pizza and bagels. The Sunbelt is a sprawling bore and is lacking in depth and culture. The places they found outside of the NY metro were boring, dull and completely detached from their roots. They have now run to oblivion. The time to fight was long ago. Instead of heading the call to defend their turf, the working class whites where blockbusted out and missed their window of opportunity to exist in this city.

The working whites have been replaced by Hispanics that work harder, work longer and do it for half the pay, the working class whites are not wanted or needed around here. The bill for health care and education is picked up by the taxpayer when the Hispanic works here, not the employer. Huge edge in hiring Hispanics for construction/service economy positions. The only whites that will remain here is the college educated white collar workers needed to oversee and staff offices. Most are post-collage transients who will not remain for long.

I hereby declare the whiteboy dead in NY. The New Yawk accent is dead and will exist only in memory. Those that leave are also dead and will be assimilated into oblivion. Those that stay will be isolated and their young will be abused/pressured. Treasure whatever memories that you have of the past.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 08-11-2007 at 04:23 AM..

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 AM

203 posts, read 852,640 times
One of the most interesting, informative and eye-opening threads to pop up on this forum in a long time.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,884 times
As a middle income white guy who fled NYC 10 years ago. You going to have a hard time convincing me that Bay Ridge-Dyker-B Hurst is getting "whiter". Unless your speaking of off the boat russians and other white forigeners. Most of the American whites are going to place's to be with there own fellow whites. The day I loaded up the truck to make the move there was loud arab music blasting and arab woman in sheets looking like casper the goast. I hope Brooklyn "comes back' but I think its gone forever.

The way I see it there are only a few white places . The USA, Canada, Europe and Australia. The one thing these white countrys have in common is that all kinds of non whites are immigrating to them. These non whites are here for one reason our money.

What are whites going to be left with if something isnt done about immigration? Eventually there is going to be no where to run away to. Lets not forget Indians have India, Koreans have Korea, Blacks have Africa ect...What will Whites have if nothing is done about immigration?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Yeah the vast majority of white people are being screwed so a select number of rich white a$$holes can become billionaires. What a wonderful world in which we live in....

Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Are there any official census figures to back this up? Do you have a link?

EDIT: I just looked at this again. Is the Post not making a distinction between Non-hispanic whites and hispanic whites? If so, then yeah, you could say that the number of white people is growing; however those white people would be from Latin America, and most Americans would not consider them to be white.
That was a stupid move by the post. I knew something was funny about this article when I read the title. It contradicts trends and there is no reason for a reversal.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Are there any official census figures to back this up?

EDIT: Is the Post not making a distinction between Non-hispanic whites and hispanic whites? If so, then yeah, you could say that the number of white people is growing; however those white people would be from Latin America, and most Americans would not consider them to be white.
Census figures have to take into account that in many Latin American nations, the one-drop white rule applies. Hence a dark skinned person w/ "white" characteristics such as "straight" hair would be considered white. So when it comes to that person filing census data, most likely that person will file under "Hispanic" and "white". So on paper "white" is increasing but in reality, it's not. Even if a true white Latino files the correct data, not much of a significant increase. Let's see if the Yuppie migration changes that data...

Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
As a middle income white guy who fled NYC 10 years ago. You going to have a hard time convincing me that Bay Ridge-Dyker-B Hurst is getting "whiter". Unless your speaking of off the boat russians and other white forigeners. Most of the American whites are going to place's to be with there own fellow whites. The day I loaded up the truck to make the move there was loud arab music blasting and arab woman in sheets looking like casper the goast. I hope Brooklyn "comes back' but I think its gone forever.

The way I see it there are only a few white places . The USA, Canada, Europe and Australia. The one thing these white countrys have in common is that all kinds of non whites are immigrating to them. These non whites are here for one reason our money.

What are whites going to be left with if something isnt done about immigration? Eventually there is going to be no where to run away to. Lets not forget Indians have India, Koreans have Korea, Blacks have Africa ect...What will Whites have if nothing is done about immigration?
WOW. And I thougth the trailerparks I come accorss in the south were racist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City