Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But only the MTA would be so stupid as to have TWO stations called Park Place and two entirely different lines called the S.
"S" is the official designation for a shuttle. It shouldn't be too hard to tell the 42nd Street shuttle in Manhattan apart from the Franklin Avenue shuttle in Brooklyn.

You may also notice that there are two different stations called 7 Avenue (Manhattan and Brooklyn), as well as 36 Street (Brooklyn and Queens). If you can't tell those lines apart--never mind that they're in different boroughs--then you were probably heading in the wrong direction in any case.

There are also different stations in Brooklyn at Fort Hamilton Parkway (F,N); Bay Parkway (D,F,N); Church Avenue (2,B,F,Q). You'll find similar arrangements all throughout the city of Chicago, by the way. Sometimes, you just have to break with tradition and look at the map to see where your train is going!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM

237 posts, read 329,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
That's not a "study." That's called "propaganda."

This is a study and concludes: This paper uses a unique data set to demonstrate that increases in gun ownership lead to substantial increases in the overall homicide rate.
tell ya what: next time someone tries to jack you, wave that "study" at 'em. I'm sure they'll back off I'll leave it at that: don't want to further derail the thread.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
I love nyc, but people do have the right to self defence, with a gun if needed...
But many people with guns are careless & short tempered. **** off your neighbor & you may not live to see tomorrow. I dont own a gun. I have a few small containers of pepper spray (1 in my car glovebox & 1 in my home).

Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
But Fred,
Whether S stands for shuttle indeed nothing at all, it isn't rocket science to expect that all lines have different designations.

The extreme of this silliness would be to call ALL trains the S train and say it stands for SUBWAY.
My point is that the MTA operates stupidly and obtusely in cases where only the slightest thought could make things clear.

Thus the first two responders, myself included, had to wonder what "S train at Park Place" meant! I even asked partner who said "it was a typo and she either meant to hit the 2 or the 3" and I pulled out the subway map because I vague;y remembered they threw in a second S train recently. I remembered it only becasue it struck me as the dumbbest thing.

There is no reason to call two stations by the same name or 2 subway lines that never intersect by the same name. All it shows is lack of foresight from the bureacrats at the MTA.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You do realize that they are not capable of seeing into the future to prevent crimes? Their presence is intended to deter crime, but when you have a bunch of mutts with no self control running around firing illegal hand guns, robbing people, molesting women, etc., there is only so much they can do. Couple that with the fact that if, Heaven forbid, an officer of a different race tried to do enforce a law, s/he would be accused of being a racist. The paraders coupled with the mayor's office have created this mess. I have enough friends on the job whose hands have been tied by your PC pandering mayor.
LOL. You do realize that the same stuff happens St Patrick's Day right? Gay Pride Parade? Do I have to go on?

It's not a "PC" issue. Big city + big crowded event = bad guy bonanza.

In fact, the white crooks sometimes use black people as cover! When I was in college at NYU, I had a white classmate who loved to shoplift from the local bodega. Whenever he was hungry, he'd ask a friend of ours (big black guy, totally harmless) to go in the store and buy him a bag of chips, and while the store owners were busy watching the black guy's every move he would rob them blind. Heh.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Thread closed for review, until continued off-topic posts about gun issues can be removed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City