Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times

Advertisements

Am thinking about putting together my own self-guided daytime walking tour of Harlem and would like some guidance, as I’d like to steer clear of obvious problem areas. I don't know the area at all, unfortunately. Am hoping I can do this walk in about a 6 hour stretch from about noon to 6 PM before heading back downtown, and am thinking this is a reasonable time of day to do this.

Would like to start in the Jumel Terrace Historic District (west of St. Nicholas Avenue between 160th and 162nd streets), Sylvan Terrace, and the Morris-Jumel Mansion (65 Jumel Terrace). Would likely take a C train up to 163rd Street to get there.

Would next like to see Sugar Hill, a clutch of brownstones, limestone town houses, and row houses (145th to 155th streets, between St. Nicholas and Edgecombe avenues). This all seems a little vague as to which streets to seek out here, any recommendations? Am also guessing walking down St. Nicholas Ave. to this area is the best way to go?

Want to head next to Strivers Row (W. 139th St. between Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. and Frederick Douglass Blvd.). Am guessing taking a left onto 145th St. and then a right onto Frederick Douglass Blvd. is a good way to go between these two areas?

From these, would like to see the nearby Abyssinian Baptist Church (W. 138th St. between Malcolm X Blvd.and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd.) and the nearby Mother A.M.E. Zion Church (W. 137th St. between Malcolm X Blvd.and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd.), followed by the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture (515 Malcolm X Blvd.).

Would then head south along Malcolm X Blvd., taking a left onto 130th St. to see the Astor Row Houses between this boulevard and 5th Ave. Would then continue south on Malcolm X Blvd. to the Studio Museum in Harlem (144 W. 125th St.), likely ending up there.

A few other questions as well:

-is it reasonable to assume this walking tour could be completed between, say, noon and 6 PM?
-are any of these sights not worth seeing or in an unexpectedly bad area?
-are there other sights I’m leaving out that I should include?

I consider myself reasonably savvy, mind my own business, and dress casually (jeans, windbreaker, sneakers, no watches or jewelry or other attention-getting stuff) during sightseeing walks like this. But of course I will be looking at architecture, so I may not seem especially from the area.

When I posted this query to a travel website, I primarily got a few unhelpful and even downright snotty posts about my daring to ask safety questions and little real help of any kind. My experience and reading suggests that there are very few places in Manhattan anymore that should be significant cause for concern during the day, but given how unfamiliar I am with this area, I really don't think it's unreasonable to try and find out. Am hoping I'll find more help in this forum.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
I used to live in harlem until about 3 months ago and you should be ok in those areas but dont go near the projects. I personally think you should go from 9-3 because the most dangerous times are when the kiddies get out of school and at night time so I think youll be fine but if you go from 12-6 stay away from the older jhs and high school kids.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
The allotted time is more than sufficient because the walk seems like its less than 2.5 miles (20 blocks=1 mile). You will be walking in the day time, so timing is also fine. As a white girl I've never had a problem walking around Harlem. People dont just come up to you and bother you just cuz you're obviously not from the area. That's just been my experience over the years..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
That looks like a nice tour!

Sugar Hill is quite lovely. Always has been. And the Jumel mansion is on a high bluff with what must have been, before the area was built up, spectacular views.

Have fun!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
My suggestion is to take the walk on Sunday if possible and start out a little earlier like around 10 AM if possible. Sundays are usually quiet, Sunday is the unofficial family day in Harlem, you will see a lot of young families out and people going to and from church on Sunday. It is the most laid back day of the week in Harlem. If not Sunday then Saturday is also good. If you have to do it during the week then take the suggestion of KRS88 in post # 2.

Concerning your actual walk, I would walk down St Nick when leaving the Morris Jumel Mansion until you get to 152nd St, there St Nick merges into Convent Ave. You will see beautiful Art Deco style apt buildings and many beautiful brownstones and limestones. You will pass Convent Ave Baptist Church on the corner of 145th and Convent, a beautiful white limestone traditional church building. Stay on Convent to 144th St where it winds around to Hamilton Terrace. You will pass historic brownstones on Hamilton Terrace and you will also see where they have moved the Hamilton Grange mansion of Alexander Hamilton into St Nick park on 141st which is at the end of Hamilton Terrace.

Then proceed downhill to Edgecombe Ave, and turn right, and proceed down to 139th St. You pass by St Marks Methodist church another beautiful traditional styled church building. You will see more Art Deco styled apt buildings and brownstones as well on Edgecombe.

On 139th make a left and go East to your other destinations.

This is the best most scenic walk you will have through lower Washington Heights into Harlem.

Don't worry if you go during these suggested times you will be quite safe. You will see other people doing exactly what you are doing, just walking, looking at the architecture and taking pictures. I take this walk often myself and I'm a Harlem native. The architecture is so beautiful. You will see families and church people on Sunday so asking questions is not a problem. People of all races, from all over the world, live along this route so you will not stand out no matter who you are.

Have a great time.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 PM

187 posts, read 949,653 times
I always like St. Nicholas at 138th St. I'm fond of visiting with the Rastafarian's and buying sugar cane to use as a walking stick. If you continue upto 162nd and Broadway be sure to visit Mama Lila's for the best steak sandwich on earth. Then it's a stroll down 163rd to Amsterdam where the subway will bring you back downtown.

If you're a blonde haired gringo like me you might want to wear a hooded shirt for the dl from time to time. You can ride through there, but the walking tour is far better. Have fun.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I used to

read NY magazine decades ago, i recall an article talking about the most dangerous part of Harlem was from 127th street to 159th street between the E River and St Nicholas Avenue, but this was back in the 70's, not sure if things have changed there or not

Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
read NY magazine decades ago, i recall an article talking about the most dangerous part of Harlem was from 127th street to 159th street between the E River and St Nicholas Avenue, but this was back in the 70's, not sure if things have changed there or not
It's 2009 now. We are going into the 2nd decade of the new millennium. That article is no longer relevant.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 PM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i would love to do a photo tour but i just have reservations about taking expensive photo gear up there.........

Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would love to do a photo tour but i just have reservations about taking expensive photo gear up there.........
I don't know what type of photo gear you have exactly, but if it is something that you can just carry, or wear you will be fine, especially if you go on a Sunday morning as I suggested in my earlier post. I also gave the safest most scenic route to take photos. There will be other people walking around touring and taking pictures as well on a Sunday.

Also please post the pictures if you do, we all know that you take some great shots.

Have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City