Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Some diners and coffee shops are located on the ground floor of larger buildings, whereas there are a few that are stand-alone.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you can get your shoes shined or repaired at Eddie's in Grand Central Terminal, though it's in one of the passageways, not underground.
There is also a passageway at Penn Station (linking the 7th Ave side to the 8th Ave side) that has restaurants and shoe shine/shoe repair shop.

You might want to try Saks Fifth Avenue which has a restaurant inside if you are looking to see food in a store.

As already mentioned you also should take the Roosevelt Island Tram (located near the Queensboro/59th Street/ED Koch Bridge) for a great view of Manhattan.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
By the way, the movie was "Afterhours" by Martin Scorcese. It's a dark comedy set in Manhattan mostly at night. There are a couple of different diner scenes in the film. And I think they are both stand-alone buildings if I'm not mistaken.
I believe that was the old River Diner on 11th Avenue, though it's been a while since I saw that film. It used to stand just opposite the Javits Center, next to a garage, but was knocked down for a check cashing storefront.

Similarly, though not in that film, the Empire Diner on 10th Avenue & 22nd Street closed last year, but that was due to the landlord not renewing the lease. The Empire appeared in the movie Manhattan, among others. There was also the Cheyenne Diner on 9th Avenue & 33rd Street. The Moondance Diner was moved from SoHo for The James Hotel. Both of these diners were shipped out of state, and I believe still used as restaurants.

The boxcar diner has been a dying breed in recent years in Manhattan as the land has become too valuable in many areas, prime for redevelopment. Once the longer-term leases had run their course, the landlords looked to convert the properties to other uses.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM

9 posts, read 10,479 times
Default It's more about the vibe

Wife and I have been up to NYC with and without kids 4 times in last 2 years. Had the best time just wandering streets between destinations. You can stumble across almost anything at anytime. Great musicians, dancers, entertainers, colorful people. I would not spend any time inside a retail store as we have the same stores everywhere now. If you have any old friends who happen to live in the city look them up, almost all of mine were more than excited to have "fresh meat" to give a personal tour of their favorite areas. These little trips blew away all the tourist areas we saw. Go to Katz's Deli, or Carnegie deli. Never had a pastrami or corned beef like it anywhere else. Walk thru Chinatown and little Italy. Walk thru greenwich village and have a drink at a little bar. I love manhattan, wife does too. The best parts are the unexpected parts that most new Yorkers take for granted. Spend more time in central park and skip the natural history museum.... I live in Pittsburgh and our Carnegie museum is better, so I imagine going to almost any museum in any bigger city would suffice. Grand central is a must see. The elevated park thru Chelsea on old train lines is also a nice stroll. Also pick a good time of year, spring or fall. I would like to see Christmas but do not want tomdeal with crowds. Check out vrbo and rent an apartment with a friend for not much more than a hotel, and get to experience a neighborhood first hand. Just cruise, observe, hang out, definitely spend more times in the parks than indoors- you will be amazed at how beautiful and functional they really are. I never wanted to even think of visiting NYC just a few years ago, now I try to go on e a year, just tomabsorb a little atmosphere that is not available anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City