Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,362,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At the state level, New York had the highest share of young men living with their parents at 21 percent, followed by New Jersey and Hawaii, all states with higher costs of living. Most of the cities with low percentages of young adults living at home were in the Midwest.
News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CENSUS_RECESSIONS_IMPACT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&T EMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-09-22-00-17-27 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,962,482 times
I think a large part of the issue here is this generation of parents coddled their kids to no end. The generation of i-this and i-that ans I want this and parents satisfying their needs. Its always someone else's fault and someone else to blame.

While the economy may be in the dumps and we have dooshbags all around in every seat of congress running the government, this generation of kids who have had everything handed to them their whole lives don't understand that jobs aren't just going to appear on a silver platter for them.

Of course this trend will show up more in the states with higher standards of living too because there's just less high paying jobs to go around to sustain that higher cost of living.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 AM

327 posts, read 320,449 times
You can also add the cost of rent as a factor.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Pretty embarrassing.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
I read that the number living with parents was UP 25% over the number from before the Great Recession.

Yep, Get the college degree and move into Daddy's basement.

I guess "Hoping for Change" didn't do the trick.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,988,358 times
I met a woman who is married with three grown up sons. Her husband is in construction and gets an odd job every now and then. He's depressed. THe three sons live at home and don't work. She is the only one with a regular job and is afraid she'll lose her family home of several generations.
What a lousy predicament. If the men in the family would take just any crappy job, sweeping out a Burger King or something, together they might be able to stay afloat. People are just so discouraged that some have given up hope.

I wonder if we are seeing more suicides these days.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
seems like a rational response to high rents, and a way to be frugal. Whats the big deal? If my DD gets a job after college in the metro area where we live, I would be DELIGHTED if she lived at home for a time while saving money. Why do people think thats so bad? Is it a goyish thing?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I met a woman who is married with three grown up sons. Her husband is in construction and gets an odd job every now and then. He's depressed. THe three sons live at home and don't work. She is the only one with a regular job and is afraid she'll lose her family home of several generations.
What a lousy predicament. If the men in the family would take just any crappy job, sweeping out a Burger King or something, together they might be able to stay afloat. People are just so discouraged that some have given up hope.

I wonder if we are seeing more suicides these days.
If all 3 took min wage jobs, they would earn somewhere near 43k and would be able to live fine along with their mother working. Even in NYC. Even if 2 of them got min wage jobs, that extra 30k would help a lot.

There's no question that my generation (Gen Y) has been coddled and are pretty damn lazy and think a lot of work is beneath them. Couple that with the near depression economy and you've got a terrible mix.

p.s. Why the hell don't they join the military?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
seems like a rational response to high rents, and a way to be frugal. Whats the big deal? If my DD gets a job after college in the metro area where we live, I would be DELIGHTED if she lived at home for a time while saving money. Why do people think thats so bad? Is it a goyish thing?
It's not a bad thing at all. I'm doing the same while saving and helping out my parents and sibling.

OTOH, as a result of the outlook being so unstable, I really can't predict when would be a good time to move out.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 8,786,063 times
I think that there is something behind this statistic that everyone is failing to take notice of. Although there may be more grown kids staying with their folks here, outside of NYC, where rents are not crazy, there are an awful lot parents paying, or helping to pay, the rent for their kid's apartment. Its not unusual for the parents -- and not just wealthy ones either -- to underwrite all or part of a grown kid's housing, especially when they're relatively young and just starting out. They can also help out sometimes with donating a down payment for a youngster's first home or condo, which they might be able to do when a down payment isnt six figures like it might be here.

So its not like NYC kids are moochers. Its just that kids outside of high-cost places are moochers in a different way.

Last edited by citylove101; 09-22-2011 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City