Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM

125 posts, read 229,150 times

Advertisements

So, I have bought memberships to a few different places. Some ended up being worth the cost, some not. I am thinking of becoming a member of AMNH. My daughter is getting into Science and she loves the Space Center. But I don't think I can handle going more than 4 or 5 times. I hate the crowds. Is anyone a member? Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Ask around to your friends if anyone gets free admission already. I get free admission to most museums just by showing my corporate ID.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM

174 posts, read 415,200 times
I live very close by and picked up a family membership for $80 on groupon. Money well spent! I will spending lots of time in there during winter.

We do go a lot as my 8 year old loves it as does my 3 year old.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM

217 posts, read 681,054 times
The crowds is one of the reasons I love my membership. I can stop by whenever I feel like it, and if it's too crowded I can leave without worrying about a refund or anything. I stopped by today for a couple hours and it was great having entire halls to myself

Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
Isn't this museum "suggested donation" anyway? Means you can give them $0.25 and ask for 25 tickets. Why waste your money on a membership when it's free anyway? If you really are about supporting the arts, then you shouldn't want to save money and donate full price every time.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Unless they've changed their policy, they don't take corporate ID like most museums.

I can't bear the place more than once a year. But I hear they've spiffed up their dinosaurs so I'm on the lookout for a freebie that they offer very occasionally.
The AMONA is really more for kids.

Nudetypist had me go to their website and I found out they DO indeed call for a "suggested admission" of $19. I didn't know this...is it a new policy?
So a buck or two will get you in. Hooray.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM

217 posts, read 681,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Isn't this museum "suggested donation" anyway? Means you can give them $0.25 and ask for 25 tickets. Why waste your money on a membership when it's free anyway? If you really are about supporting the arts, then you shouldn't want to save money and donate full price every time.
I wouldn't call a natural history museum the arts. The suggested donation seems to be for people actually struggling financially, or students. It's not just for cheap jerks.

If you want to goto the museum more than a couple times a year, then a membership is a great way to spend a nice fixed amount of money, and still supporting the museum. You also get nice discounts on the special exhibits, which are rarely free.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
Suggested donations are for anyone who don't feel like paying the outrageous prices. Not just the poor or whomever. As someone who has worked in a museum for years and dealt heavily with their finances, I can tell you most of their money comes from private donations and government funding anyway. Your entry fee is just an added bonus that they will most likely spend on renovations, not on art. That's not to say all museums are this way, but the biggest museum in NYC certainly is. I suspect this is also the case for AMNH.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM

398 posts, read 698,662 times
Default sure!

As far as I can tell, the membership is totally worth it if you have interested kids. You can feel comfortable that you're "supporting" the museum in some way, don't have to be embarrassed at the desk when you hand in your .24c donation, and a discount on special exhibits is probably worth it on its own. What NY-er goes to this museum not wanting to see the specials? I've seen the rest already, it's the frogs and IMAX that make it worthwhile!

Speaking of the sciences I'm a member at the Botanical Garden in the Bronx and for anyone taking classes there or visiting a few times a year (not so crowded there!), it has been totally worth the money. AMNH membership fee is comparable, and there is also plenty to see in a year's time.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Unless they've changed their policy, they don't take corporate ID like most museums.

I can't bear the place more than once a year. But I hear they've spiffed up their dinosaurs so I'm on the lookout for a freebie that they offer very occasionally.
The AMONA is really more for kids.

Nudetypist had me go to their website and I found out they DO indeed call for a "suggested admission" of $19. I didn't know this...is it a new policy?
So a buck or two will get you in. Hooray.
Yes..I've gotten in for a couple of bucks (always feel guilty about it though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City