Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times

Advertisements

I think Dublin had a Jewish mayor too at one time...

I had the impression that the Bronx was heavily Irish back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 18,400 times
I sorry not Ireland

ireland.com - Breaking News - State's first black mayor elected (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0628/breaking61.htm - broken link)

In recent decades Italy has consistently ranked among Europe’s least fertile countries in terms of population, with the number of children born to the average woman falling regularly below the replacement level, except for a brief “baby-boom” in the early 1960s that brought the average childbearing figure up to 2.7.
The latest figures, from an ISTAT data survey, show that the average age of an Italian woman giving birth to her first child is 29

taken from

Theme: Demography and Decline «

I don't know if its good or bad but it is the truth.

Ireland has been inhabited for at least 9,000 years, although little is known about the paleolithic and neolithic inhabitants of the island (other than by inference from genetic research in 2004 that challenges the idea of migration from central Europe and proposes a flow along the Atlantic coast from Spain).[50] [51] Early historical and genealogical records note the existence of dozens of different peoples that may or may not be "mythological" (Cruithne, Attacotti, Conmaicne, Eóganachta, Érainn, Soghain, to name but a few).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3c/Population_density_of_Ireland_map.png/180px-Population_density_of_Ireland_map.png (broken link)
Population density map of Ireland showing the heavily weighted eastern sea-board and the northern province of Ulster. Prior to the famine, the provinces of Connacht, Munster and Leinster were more or less evenly populated. Ulster was far less densely populated than the other three.

During the past 1,000 years or so, Vikings, Normans, Scots and English have all added to the indigenous gene pool.
Ireland's largest religious group is the Roman Catholic Church (about 70% for the entire island, and about 80% for the Republic), and most of the rest of the population adhere to one of the various Protstant denominations. The largest is the Anglican Church of Ireland. The Irish Muslim community is growing, mostly through increased immigration (see Islam in Ireland)

Taken From

Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which makes me wonder what will the future be for the people of those ethnic groups going to there origin countries and seeing people speaking Arab,not there language.

Plus if there is no Europe where will the white population come from.

Not trying to start trouble just a thought

Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
The Bronx certainly had a much larger Irish population back in the day. There were basically lots of Irish in the north-western part of the Bronx from around Fordham road up to Woodlawn. Inwood over in northern Manhattan was considered to be the biggest Irish neighborhood up until the 1970s/1980s or so. The largest shift in the Bronx though was probably the complete disappearance of the Jewish population (with the exception of Riverdale and some small pockets in other parts of the borough). Before the 1960s/1970s the South Bronx was a Jewish neighborhood, now you'd be hard pressed to find a Jewish person down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I think Dublin had a Jewish mayor too at one time...

I had the impression that the Bronx was heavily Irish back in the day.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The Bronx certainly had a much larger Irish population back in the day. There were basically lots of Irish in the north-western part of the Bronx from around Fordham road up to Woodlawn. Inwood over in northern Manhattan was considered to be the biggest Irish neighborhood up until the 1970s/1980s or so. The largest shift in the Bronx though was probably the complete disappearance of the Jewish population (with the exception of Riverdale and some small pockets in other parts of the borough). Before the 1960s/1970s the South Bronx was a Jewish neighborhood, now you'd be hard pressed to find a Jewish person down there.
For some reason, a lot of areas once Jewish turned into slums:

Harlem
Bed-stuy/CH
Brownsville
Flatbush
South Bronx
SE Queens
Rockaways
Upper West side(has come back of course)
Lower East Side(Now gentrified)

Wierd collorlation...

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
My mothers side of the family (Murray) lived up near 192nd St and the Concourse, her sister lived on St. Peters Ave, near Parkchester, my other aunt lived on Pond Place near 197th St. very Irish area.

My fathers side (German) lived in Woodlawn (237th) Bronxville and McLean Ave Yonkers. Meanwhile we lived on 183rd St. Back in the 60's the Jewish/German/Irish lived mostly from 180th St and North. Also the Jewish population has nearly disappeared.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
Aren't Muslims like less than 1.5% of Ireland, anyway? Stop with the complaining.

And besides, you want Europe to remain White? Muslims from Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Egypt, and a few others ARE White.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM

No, if Syrians are White, Lebanese are 1000 times Whiter. Seriously. I could give a list of people you probably thought were White who'll turn out to be Lebanese.

By the way, these Muslims in Europe would ALL be in America right now if getting a visa wasn't so hard for Muslims, especially after 9/11.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Well a lot of the muslims in Europe have been moving there since the 1950s, so most of it doesn't have much to do with 9/11. Europe is for Arabs what the United States is for Mexicans, a place to go for better jobs which is closeby and somewhat easy to sneak in.

I really wouldn't worry about Ireland turning Muslim. Other countries in Europe, yes I'd be quite concerned such as in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, or even the UK (although they get more South Asians than people from the Middle East). With Ireland its not such a big deal.

I believe Ireland still has one of the highest fertility rates in all of Europe and most of their immigrants come from Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, and Latvia). The Irish still don't like these Eastern Europeans even though they are very similar to most of them (they are white, Catholic, and drink heavily). Parts of Ireland are seeing examples of "white flight" from neighborhoods that are heavily populated by Eastern Europeans, even though the Eastern Europeans are also white.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Based on what I read, most Middle Easterners in Europe are North Africans (Moroccans, mainly). I don't see the problem with some of those countries, Mead, such as Spain which has few Muslims besides 500,000 Moroccans.

France, after Ireland, has the highest native birth rates in Europe. It'll do just fine.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,119 times
Default From The Barber Of Woodlawn.......

Well Mead as you said if you want to find out what"s going on in Woodlawn you should have just asked me....I am the barber after all.......... Well first off you are correct with all of your insight about woodlawn.....The Irish are starting to come back, how ever not as fast as the used to but they are starting to come back,,,And as for them only moving to woodlawn thats not true at all, they are moving to Riverdale, Tuckahoe, Eastchester, Pearl River, New Jersey, etc........... you are however starting to get a lot of people moving up from the city due to the crazy rents in NYC of course, but Queens,and Brooklyn rents have gone through the Roof....1 Bedroom in Queens,Brooklyn 1300-1900, Woodlawn 800-1150..........so I do believe Woodlawn will see a big change in the next couple of years,,,for good or bad still not sure let's just hope it doesn't lose it's LITTLE TOWN FEEL.............................................. ...........THE BARBER>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City