Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't be so ridiculously stubborn.Don't you ever want to learn anything? Or do you just want to forever believe what you want to believe ?
1)The Wikipedia entries for NYC neighborhhods are maintained by the NYC community boards.The boundaries for NYC neighborhoods are the official boundaries.You can try to change them if you want but your changes won't last long because they will change them back.nice try though.You don't have to "buy" the Wikipedia boundaries.You can go along making up your own as long as you want.Just don't expect to maintain any credibility when you just make up whatever you want as you go along.

2) I would agree that the worst section of White Plains Road is between 225 and 230 and that it is in Wakefield.It's not nearly as bad as Boston Road however and that's not in Wakefield,it's in Eastchester and Baychester.Just because Wakefield is bad in that stretch of White Plains Road doesn't mean the whole neighborhood is a hell hole as you claim.

2) As far as neighborhoods changing when you go a few blocks this way or that way,yes,that's what happens.That's what boundaries are.In my neighborhood if you live on the West side of Williamsbridge Road you are in Pelham Parkway/Bronxwood and if you cross the street to go to the deli on the other side of the street you are in Baychester/Pelham Gardens.Edenwald Projects are in Edenwald,they are in neither Wakefield nor Williamsbridge.

3) Williamsbridge is not Pelham Parkway's neighbor to the North.The neighborhood directly to the North of Pelham Parkway is Bronxwood. Bronxwood goes up to Magenta,then Williamsbridge is North of that.Parts of Bronxwood are also known as Allerton.So Bronxwwod/Allerton is between Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge as you go North along White Plains Road. When you cross the little foot bridge from Norwood you come out on Allerton Avenue.You are not in Williamsbridge,you re in Allerton/Bronxwood.This is where I live. I use that footbridge 3 or 4 times a week so don't tell me that it comes out in Williamsbridge.If you cross from Norwood on the Gun Hill Road Bridge by the WILLIAMSBRIDGE METRO NORTH STOP then you are in Williamsbridge , on Gun Hill road.That's 10 blocks North of Allerton Ave along Bronx Park East.

4)Look again at this map that you yourself just put up.It shows the relationship between Wakefield,Edenwald,Williamsbridge,Olinville,,etc
http://baldpunk.com/wp-content/uploa...rhoods-Map.jpg
What difference does it make if one looks further away than the other ? One is East and one is South.
You are arguing with yourself.
This is the point.

The person asked about Wakefield. Wakefield is a crappy area. It is in the north-east Bronx, which I refer to as Wakefield. Your splitting hairs right now. If you choose to seperate the area into a bazillion neighborhoods, then that's on you. I will continue to refer to the area as Wakefield.

Whether it's Eastchester, Wakefield, Williamsbridge , it doesn't matter. It is the same ish, with Wakefield being the worst. You have high black populations, a lot of Jamaicans, YB'z and YG'z are the dominant gang, projects, private homes...which all resemble East NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
And I know that the Wikipedia boundaries are BS because in the University Heights page, it says that the northern border is W 190th st. You know why it says that? Because I wrote it on here and apparently someone who thought I was knowledgeable went and changed it from Kingsbridge to W 190th st. Why did it change when I wrote W 190th on here? Think about it.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This is the point.

The person asked about Wakefield. Wakefield is a crappy area. It is in the north-east Bronx, which I refer to as Wakefield. Your splitting hairs right now. If you choose to seperate the area into a bazillion neighborhoods, then that's on you. I will continue to refer to the area as Wakefield.

Whether it's Eastchester, Wakefield, Williamsbridge , it doesn't matter. It is the same ish, with Wakefield being the worst. You have high black populations, a lot of Jamaicans, YB'z and YG'z are the dominant gang, projects, private homes...which all resemble East NY.
Ehhh come on.....I got friends from all over Northeast....they either say they're from Northeast or they say what part of Northeast they're from. People from the area don't consider the entire Northeast Bronx to be coterminous with Wakefield. Stop it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Come to think of it. I have yet to hear a person from Wakefield actually say they're from/live in "Wakefield". 9 times outta ten, a person from that area is more likely to say "Im from 225th" or "I live by Baychester projects" or something like that. Basically though Wakefield starts in the 220's and ends at the Westchester County and it's mostly a so-so area. The blocks to stay away from in that area from my experience are 225th, 227th, 233rd, and Barnes.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
my old neighbors, Italians who lived between Bussing and Edenwald Avenues just off Baychester Avenue called their area "Baychester"

Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM

115 posts, read 306,768 times
I drive through the Wakefield section every week to go to class and never felt uncomfortable before, but now some of you guys are starting to scare me.

Here's my route: Between 3 and 4 PM on a weekday, I come down 222nd Street from Eastchester Rd, go down White Plains Road, past 237th Street, to Nereid Ave, and follow that until it becomes McLean Ave in lower Yonkers. I make the same trip home between 7 and 8PM. I never feel any more or less unsafe than most other parts the Bronx, but with the way some of you are talking about the area, I feel like I should be watching for bullets flying!

Maybe it's just the time of the day I go? It really doesn't seem that bad.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
I drive through the Wakefield section every week to go to class and never felt uncomfortable before, but now some of you guys are starting to scare me.

Here's my route: Between 3 and 4 PM on a weekday, I come down 222nd Street from Eastchester Rd, go down White Plains Road, past 237th Street, to Nereid Ave, and follow that until it becomes McLean Ave in lower Yonkers. I make the same trip home between 7 and 8PM. I never feel any more or less unsafe than most other parts the Bronx, but with the way some of you are talking about the area, I feel like I should be watching for bullets flying!

Maybe it's just the time of the day I go? It really doesn't seem that bad.
That's because it's not.I wouldn't walk around up there too late in the evening or night but most of the time ,as long as you aren't dealing drugs or involved with someone somehow, there is no problem.About 80% of the crime is drug/gang related and happens in or directly adjacent to the projects.Most of the rest of it is domestic violence.In almost all incidences that I hear or read about,the victims of violent crime know the perps.

I walk all over The Bronx because I like to walk at least a couple of miles a day and I've walked everywhere up there.I just don't go out of my way to walk by or through some of the projects.I don't think you have anything to worry about driving through the area.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 PM

115 posts, read 306,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's because it's not.I wouldn't walk around up there too late in the evening or night but most of the time ,as long as you aren't dealing drugs or involved with someone somehow, there is no problem.About 80% of the crime is drug/gang related and happens in or directly adjacent to the projects.Most of the rest of it is domestic violence.In almost all incidences that I hear or read about,the victims of violent crime know the perps.

I walk all over The Bronx because I like to walk at least a couple of miles a day and I've walked everywhere up there.I just don't go out of my way to walk by or through some of the projects.I don't think you have anything to worry about driving through the area.
That's what I kind of thought about the area...that crime was mostly drug/gang related. Sometimes I'm driving down White Plains Road and I might want to stop for some delicious Caribbean food after class, but reading this thread earlier scared me into not doing that. But as long as I get my food and not hang around the streets until midnight I should be fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Bluedog, it is well known that the WORST of White Plains Road is centered around E 225th- E 230th st, which is comfortably in Wakefield.l.

FYI Williamsbridge is Gun Hill to E 233rd. Wakefield is north of that. South of that is Allerton which ha smany subneighborhoods, Bronxdale, Laconia, etc.

Williambridge is dangerous. the 47 and 10466 cut through Williamsbridge which is why you and orhers mistakenly call it Wakefield.

Now around 241st #2 is dangerous maybe because elements from So Mt Vernon come down. West of WP Rd and WP rd itself arent nice either especially as one gets closer to E 233rd. Its clear you dont know Wakefield when you babble about Projects. Its mainly residential homes, mainly owner occupied and I am sure the tenants who live there are careful selected as a result. Bluedog is absolutely correct in his description. NOt to say things dont happen....what is a better place for people to come to rob than in a neighborhood which is quiet, where people mind their business, and where they work so have things to steal. Aside from WP rd you dont see ppl hanging out on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City