Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NY in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about buying a no contract cell phone. I saw the virgin mobile beyond talk for 35 a month and got exited but I have no idea how good the service is, I saw the map and everything but I now NYC has issues due to the tall brick buildings. What cell phone / carrier should I get? I need web and gps (so I don't get lost while job hunting) and good reception with no contract. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have never had an issue with Verizon Wireless, though AT&T did have some spotty coverage. Verizon has non-contract service as well as traditional contracts. AT&T has improved, but the areas in which I had the most difficulty were in Westchester, and other points in the city, but the service interruptions were relatively minor in the city, not unlike satellite radio reception that can be momentarily affected by tall buildings. If I am not mistaken, Verizon calls their prepaid service "Pay As You Go," which I would assume functions similarly to a contract plan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we have the prepay verizon plan since i use about 10 minutes a month. locally we have no problem but we found out that when roaming you have different coverage areas where you may not get service.

our old regular plan had coverage through roaming sites by our house in the poconos , our prepay is blacked out in our area .

there is a map on line we later learned about that shows the prepay coverage area.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 AM

119 posts, read 339,345 times
I have the LG 900 pre paid phone. You can buy it at target or at best buy. It's a smart phone and kinda resembles a blackberry. Its $25 for 750 minutes a month or $50 for unlimited. The phone less than 30 bucks.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM

279 posts, read 853,956 times
i love love the tmobile plan soo much better then virgin. Verizon charges a daily fee if i remember correctly

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
When some family visited us from Europe this year, we just went into T-Mobile and bought a prepaid SIM card for their phone. It was pretty easy. Probably expensive to recharge long term but it was good for their 2 weeks.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

13 posts, read 35,067 times
T-mobile works well but sometimes it takes forever to search for signals. I'm using $50 unlimited Talk; Text; Web (Slow on unlocked iphone 4s) plan.

I also tried a month of AT&T $.10/minute plan it worked fine. The new phone + SIM was only $5 at Best-buy.

Refills are easy for both carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City