Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 PM

29 posts, read 77,557 times

Advertisements

What neighborhoods throughout the city are prodominantly Italian? I live in Howard Beach and that's obviously one of them. My grandparents live up in Ozone Park but I don't think that's Italian anymore. Also, I heard Staten Island has a big Italian population. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times
Bensonhurst, most of Staten Island is Italian, Bay Ridge, East Harlem, Little Italy, Caroll Gardens

Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Italian where people actually speak Italian most of the day and go to Mass and confession in Italian ? or Italian as in 2nd or 3rd + generation Italian-American, filled with guidos and guidettes who don't pronounce vowels at the end of Italan words and who don't actually speak any Italian and have never been to Italy ?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
I don't know anymore. Bensonhurst used to be Italian but now I hear it's a Chinese ghetto.

The glory days of Belmont in the Bronx are also long gone.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Astoria above Steinway between Ditmars and Broadway has quite a few Italians.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees1237 View Post
What neighborhoods throughout the city are prodominantly Italian? I live in Howard Beach and that's obviously one of them. My grandparents live up in Ozone Park but I don't think that's Italian anymore. Also, I heard Staten Island has a big Italian population. Thanks.
I live right on the Glendale/Middle Village border and in Middle Village there's still plenty of Italian Americans.

Queens-
Howard Beach, Middle Village, Whitestone
Some other worthy mentions include Maspeth, Eastern Ridgewood, Glendale, Northern Astoria, Douglaston, Bayside, and Southern Ozone Park. These areas have a decent amount of Italians but they aren't the dominate ethnic group in them.

The Bronx-
Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Throgs Neck, and Authur Avenue in Belmont [not really an Italian neighborhood, but has plenty of Italian restaurants].

Brooklyn-
Carroll Gardens, Bensonhurst [although dwindling], Gravesend [also quickly declining], Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach

Staten Island-
Most of Midland and the South Shore is very Italian. Easily the most Italian borough in the city.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Bensonhurst, most of Staten Island is Italian, Bay Ridge, East Harlem, Little Italy, Caroll Gardens
I never heard of Carroll Gardens having a lot of Italians, and I think most of the Italians in East Harlem and Little Italy are long gone.

But in any case, most of SI is still heavily Italian. Even in North Shore areas with a lot of Blacks and Hispanics, there are still a decent number of Italians.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I never heard of Carroll Gardens having a lot of Italians, and I think most of the Italians in East Harlem and Little Italy are long gone.

But in any case, most of SI is still heavily Italian. Even in North Shore areas with a lot of Blacks and Hispanics, there are still a decent number of Italians.
There used to be a lot of Italians in Carroll Gardens 20-30 years ago. But that list is way out of date. There are very few Italians left in East Harlem or Carroll Gardens, none at all actually living in Little Italy, and not that many in Bay Ridge, either.

People born in Italy, there are very few anywhere in NYC nowadays. Ethnic Italians, second or third generation, plenty all over the South Shore of Staten Island, Howard Beach, Whitestone, Middle Village/Glendale/Maspeth, Country Club, Dyker Heights, Bath Beach. Belle Harbor and Neponsit are substantially Italian as well, I think, but I'm less certain of that.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
There used to be a lot of Italians in Carroll Gardens 20-30 years ago. But that list is way out of date. There are very few Italians left in East Harlem or Carroll Gardens, none at all actually living in Little Italy, and not that many in Bay Ridge, either.

People born in Italy, there are very few anywhere in NYC nowadays. Ethnic Italians, second or third generation, plenty all over the South Shore of Staten Island, Howard Beach, Whitestone, Middle Village/Glendale/Maspeth, Country Club, Dyker Heights, Bath Beach. Belle Harbor and Neponsit are substantially Italian as well, I think, but I'm less certain of that.
Yeah Carroll Gardens is mostly yuppy now, but I heard there's an Italian atmosphere in the area. East Harlem? That area hasn't had any Italians for over the past 20-30 years. Even the Puerto Ricans are leaving that area now.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,902 times
They all go to the Jersey Shore eventually...sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City