Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

The bronx will get better in some areas though don't get me wrong. The biggest issue is the schools IMO. High concentration of bad schools. It will only get really better if middle class people will want to raise their kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
It's less about the schools in my opinion. Families are not necessarily what drives great communities in NYC...although great schools help alot.

Until you have repercussions for actions (or inactions), many neighborhoods just won't change. The reality is that the city is responsible to house every man, woman, and child by law....so when they pursue an eviction out of NYCHA (for example), they simply reenter the homeless system and placed back into some sort of city housing or government program. So no sweat off anyone's back....they just go to poison another neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM

I bring up the family aspects because a lot of the development seems geared to working class/middle class people. That kind of thing is important to middle class folks. If the bronx ever gets truly better its going to be because of middle class people not some yuppies or hipsters...

Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol not the east tremont section of the grand concourse. That area wont see any gentrification for years. The only part of the grand concourse that will see some sort of gentrification is the lower concourse area. By lorilei park and franz sigel park I see some young professionals who are white walking dogs that are not pitbulls or chihuahuas. Maybe a huge sign of hope for the Bronx.
Lol the chihuahua is a rough dog now?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
I think one of the biggest problems throughout much of the Bronx but also Brooklyn and upper Manhattan is influence and a lack of positive role models. To many single parent homes and no father to help with guidance while mom works from 9 to 7 and only collecting 9 to 5 pay. Youths become influenced by other youths, gangs media and believing in fact they are to cool for school or school does not serves them any purpose. Many kmly find hope on trying to play basketball or trying to sing hip hop which can omly get a person so far if yhey are lucky enough. Out of most peeople that know me in the hood I'm like the only that they know with a four year degree. Really sad. I try to carry my self as best as I can and try hard not to socialize with the hood element. From the way I dress, sometimes talk and to what alcohol beverages that I buy which means no 40oz no nutcrackers and no hennessey. I even brought back home with me a white chick who was an out of town resident and every thug gangster wanted to know how I got that? I told them to change your outlook and perspective. I get tired of seeing an abundance of single moms looking for child support checks, constant male youths dropping out of school, hustling on every corner, someone blasting music from a blackberry on the bus or subway, people looking for Jesus for help even though the church robs the poor of money. The sad thing is the Bronx and the rest of nyclooses alot of local good people that wants best for themselves and off springs

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-04-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Here's a link ti the fish building on the grand concourse. It has a beautiful lobby in art deck style.

An Art Deco Masterpiece in the Bronx « Scouting NY

Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Here's a link ti the fish building on the grand concourse. It has a beautiful lobby in art deck style.

An Art Deco Masterpiece in the Bronx « Scouting NY

WOW!!! Gorgeous lobby and building. How often do you see that? Goes to show how affluent GC was back in the day. What a shame. Would love to bring back the good old days when the GC was exclusive to people who had doe.

Now for the million dollar question...what kind of tenants currently live in that building? Are the majority Section 8/Welfare tenants? I really hope not but I have a feeling it being on 166th street, it unfortunately is. They should convert that building into Co-ops if they haven't tried yet.

What makes me laugh is I can't picture such a beautiful building and lobby and having some tenant walk out with a durag, jeans and tims on. (Probably the case) But they don't go together like oil and water. A building of that caliber needs to be housing more CLEAN CUT people.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
WOW!!! Gorgeous lobby and building. How often do you see that? Goes to show how affluent GC was back in the day. What a shame. Would love to bring back the good old days when the GC was exclusive to people who had doe.

Now for the million dollar question...what kind of tenants currently live in that building? Are the majority Section 8/Welfare tenants? I really hope not but I have a feeling it being on 166th street, it unfortunately is. They should convert that building into Co-ops if they haven't tried yet.

What makes me laugh is I can't picture such a beautiful building and lobby and having some tenant walk out with a durag, jeans and tims on. (Probably the case) But they don't go together like oil and water. A building of that caliber needs to be housing more CLEAN CUT people.
I think that building is a coop. In the photo you see a front desk sort of.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
I think one of the biggest problems throughout much of the Bronx but also Brooklyn and upper Manhattan is influence and a lack of positive role models. To many single parent homes and no father to help with guidance while mom works from 9 to 7 and only collecting 9 to 5 pay. Youths become influenced by other youths, gangs media and believing in fact they are to cool for school or school does not serves them any purpose. Many kmly find hope on trying to play basketball or trying to sing hip hop which can omly get a person so far if yhey are lucky enough. Out of most peeople that know me in the hood I'm like the only that they know with a four year degree. Really sad. I try to carry my self as best as I can and try hard not to socialize with the hood element. From the way I dress, sometimes talk and to what alcohol beverages that I buy which means no 40oz no nutcrackers and no hennessey. I even brought back home with me a white chick who was an out of town resident and every thug gangster wanted to know how I got that? I told them to change your outlook and perspective. I get tired of seeing an abundance of single moms looking for child support checks, constant male youths dropping out of school, hustling on every corner, someone blasting music from a blackberry on the bus or subway, people looking for Jesus for help even though the church robs the poor of money. The sad thing is the Bronx and the rest of nyclooses alot of local good people that wants best for themselves and off springs
Single parent households are prob the biggest issue in the hood, I took an anthropology class and we actually learned about this. The real problem arises when the moms of these kids who are raising them by herself is off working two or three jobs and these kids get no guidance. Since these kids are on their own watching whatever they want roaming the streets being influenced by unsavory adult figures they do adult things like have sex at very early ages. A 13 years gets another 13 year old pregnant he is not gonna claim that baby as his most of the time and if he does he's not gonna help take care of.

Then this leads to another household being raised without a male role model which is extremely important to both make and female childrens development. We learned that girls who grow up without a father figure end up feeling abandoned and angry at the world seeing themselves as worthless since even their own father doesn't want them. Part of the reason we see all these ghetto black chicks that seem to be pissed all the time, but they also go try to seek that male attention elsewhere and often times are taking advantage of by older guys and start having sex with anyone that shows them affection and ends up having a child while she's still a teen.

As for males we learned that when little boys grow up in households raised by women who themselves were mostly raised in single parents homes and are the stereotypical "angry black women", these boys tend to get female tendencies. Now not female tendencies as in acting feminine but reasoning with emotion instead of logic and getting and attitude and ready to blow up on somebody for the littlest things. Thats why a lot of times you see most of these hood guys catching temper tantrums like their little girls over the stupid most petty little thing, it's because they never had a positive strong male role model to tell em cut that out or suck it up. Or thing traditionally associated with how the ideal male deals with problems in our society.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Single parent households, gangs, drugs, blah blah blah..these are all symptoms of the problem..and not the problem itself. Step back from focusing on one issue, and see that all of these issues are all symptoms of the society we have actively cultivated and reinforce.

The Grand Concourse, specifically the lower Concourse, is already on the radar of most people, and is attracting a host of diverse residents. It is not a surprise to see the gems architecturally, and people are moving in and investing in the turnaround. It is already happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City