Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 AM

241 posts, read 591,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Simple, this is something that can only really be found in NYC in the US, and in Asia it is more of a culture in building urban areas to have these over sensitizing areas.
Agreed. It's a big deal because it's unique in US. Since it's unique, it's also leveraged in many Hollywood films, making it more culturally relevant. In Asia, it's just another street. Neon lights are everywhere, so it's hard to pin down a "spot". Times Square is TINY. It's easy to fit into on one movie scene or on a poster. Ginza, as an example used above, is still big, and doesn't fit nicely into one movie poster, one postcard or whatnot. So, it's harder to make it into a symbol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Times Square looks a little more compact compared to Ginza and is more plastered with signs for show. Could be wrong, I've never been to Asia, but Times Square looks a bit more showy from photos.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,290 times
I have been to the Shibuya crossing in Tokyo, and as a native NYer I was impressed with it. There just seemed to be so many people crossing when the lights change. Traffic, then people, then traffic. I always thought that was the busiest crosswalk in the world. Here's a video for those who have never seen it:
Saturday afternoon at Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo - YouTube. In terms of the lights in the area, there are many lights and ads as well, and I would say it's a bit more spread out. For Times Square, millions of people see the symbol of the ball dropping at New Year's and just the image of the area as representative of "New York" and it just tugs at my heart more than the square in Tokyo.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,284,162 times
NYC is the only world-class city the U.S has so it stands out to us more but also, another point, Times Square was the -Original- of its kind of urban center. There have been city-squares and town-centers before, but Times Square was the first to take it to the next level.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM

499 posts, read 794,482 times
Right, same reason why the Empire State Building is still so special though there are many skyscrapers in Asia tall.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM

410 posts, read 634,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
NYC is the only world-class city the U.S has so it stands out to us more but also, another point, Times Square was the -Original- of its kind of urban center. There have been city-squares and town-centers before, but Times Square was the first to take it to the next level.
I think the LED screen filled type of city square was pioneered by Asia however...

Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,303 times
Times Square is more significant because it's where people gather during historical moments. It represents the heart beat of America, capitalism, imperialism and pop culture. There is a far greater global reach by the brands represented there.

New York can't compete with the light shows of Tokyo's neon neighborhoods - there are blocks upon blocks of streets like 42nd Street. From a strictly "bright lights, big city" perspective, Tokyo beats New York, hands down, it's just far more impressive and spread out. However, Times Square is still more iconic because of America's cultural impact on the world.

I don't disagree with the guy that said Times Square's lights represent culture and Asia's lights represent shopping - I think that's pretty accurate for the most part.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,965,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
The difference is advertising/marketing/brainwashing.
^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City