Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Better than the greeks and italians holding onto run down houses trying to sell the next best gyro on northern boulevard.

Who uses street parking anyways, I love having my own driveway in Bayside.

Street parking would be an issue if you live near rowhouses with no driveways near bell boulevard and the auburndale station area.
Fontannas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I lived in bayside for about 10 yrs right at the beginning of the influx of asians moving in which was quite a long time ago.

1. I wouldn't focus so much on ranking too much. If it bothers you, go visit the school.

2. I can't comment

3. I wouldn't consider Auburndale part of Bayside. For the most part, Bayside is a good area. I don't really break it down of north vs south. There are pockets where there are moderately prices to really expensive (most expensive is Bayside Gable which is north of 25a).

4. Depending on your budget vs time, you can take the local bus to the 7 train. If not you can take the LIRR which is double the price but potentially half the time of commute. If you buy homes that are walking distance to Bayside LIRR, they are mostly attached houses or semi attach houses.....which means smaller houses...which means more inexpensive houses. Also street parking is worse bc of Bell Blvd.

5. I live on LI now so I can comment on this. The positive on LI is you save on city tax & auto insurance is less. Also there is a more suburban feel to live on LI. The negative is the high tax, double cost of commute (LIRR vs MTA NYTA) and you will depend on a car a little more compared to bayside. It doesn't even out exactly but its about personal lifestyle really.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,598 times
Wow. These messages are only 6 years old and feel like they're populated with respondents from the 1950s - Orientals? Dangerous Korean bars? Ultra competitive Asian "Tiger" parents who beat their kids?

I suppose they never been to Scarsdale or Bronxville with primarily white/Jewish kids who also have crazy helicopter parents. This type of stereo-typing really gets to me.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
If you are not asian spend a little more and live in Douglaston by train station. they have a great little elementary school. you usually get a seat as Douglaston is last stop before Bayside where it gets packed.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,107 times
Bayside was nice in the early 80s as I remember it, when visiting step relatives on holidays. working class, decent sized homes, nice backyards. decent homes you can enjoy in the spring and summer after the nasty winters are over. dont know if young families are buying in Bayside these days.. seemed like in the early 80s, Bayside was nice, but an aging community, both the people and the real estate. Staten island was the place to raise kids back in the day. 1968 to 1972 was the mass building of small single family homes in staten island. the ethnic mixes have moved into staten island, Ive heard. Nothing wrong with it. I got nothing against other races, but people just dont feel like they fit in, when they;re the minority in a neighborhood. anyways, in the 1980s, it seemed like Bayside's day was the 1940s and 1950s for young families with kids.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus68 View Post
Bayside was nice in the early 80s as I remember it, when visiting step relatives on holidays. working class, decent sized homes, nice backyards. decent homes you can enjoy in the spring and summer after the nasty winters are over. dont know if young families are buying in Bayside these days.. seemed like in the early 80s, Bayside was nice, but an aging community, both the people and the real estate. Staten island was the place to raise kids back in the day. 1968 to 1972 was the mass building of small single family homes in staten island. the ethnic mixes have moved into staten island, Ive heard. Nothing wrong with it. I got nothing against other races, but people just dont feel like they fit in, when they;re the minority in a neighborhood. anyways, in the 1980s, it seemed like Bayside's day was the 1940s and 1950s for young families with kids.
I think your version of family friendly comes straight out of a picture perfect movie where everyone is middle class and moving into a new neighborhood. It's certainly true that many single family houses in Bayside was built in the 30s and 40s and were a bit more affordable for young families. I guess same thing happened to SI in the 70s. However those scenarios do not occur in NYC anymore. Every desirable large piece of land has been built on already. There's no place to build rows of brand new single family houses anymore.

In Bayside extending to Great Neck, LI. The old timers have gradually been leaving the area as they retire or pass away. When they sell their houses the ones not worth repairing are torn down and replaced with McMansions. In certain parts of Northeast Queens it's certainly family friendly in that you get to live a suburban life in NYC, but only if you can afford it. A 3bd home with modern renovations will cost 850k+ easily. A tear down condition home with a 4000sq lot runs in the 600s if you're lucky enough not to be outbid by a developer paying all cash.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-05-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 03:15 PM

419 posts, read 626,109 times
if you love asian then its best for you, crime rate is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City