Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,542 times

Advertisements

After about 2 years in manhattan, I get the sense that everyone in manhattan is very temporary....students/professionals/expats, everyone seems to have an "expiration" date. Will this be the nature of everyone you meet?...or after a while living in manhattan, do people find/befriend permanent residents, and after a while you begin to develop a solid structure of friends who you know are going to be living in manhattan long-term?

I would appreciate comments/perspective from those people who moved to manhattan (thus didn't grow up here), and decided to "stick it out" long term in manhattan, people who have stayed in this city, after their friends settled down in the suburbs, or moved back home to where-ever they were originally from. I get the sense that when people decide to have children, their income will likely decide whether or not they can stay in the city, which is understandable. Others I have met, seem to have gotten their "nyc experience" and moved closer to family, wherever they grew up.
But for those who can afford it, and want to stay...how did you social circles change, where did you meet these "true" manhattan residents?
....or is the nature of living in manhattan, a constant cycle of temporary friendships? or perhaps do you just spend more time visiting friends in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
move to queens or brooklyn - i think they plan to stay

Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
People get jobs, fall in love, have kids, or just decide they want something different in life. None of my friends who have moved away planned on leaving.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
A quote from Billy Ray Cyrus which I love, Some people come into your life for a reason, others for a Season. Enjoy your life wherever you may be.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,563 times
Most people are only moved here for job-related purposes or studies. A lot of people pretty much come here to experience NYC..just a little longer than usual and when they have fulfilled their dreams, they settle back home. in your case, most people who are in Manhattan come and go.. but people in the other boroughs have either been there for a long time, been born & raised. I find that a lot of the people I meet in Queens, Brooklyn many years ago are still there..of course, some move to other states.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM

106 posts, read 353,080 times
People are constantly migrating and moving around, it doesn't particularly apply to NYC. Although I will have to comment on what you said about students etc. I have noticed and met a large number of people in the city who are college students/grad/phd students (aside from your typical tourist). I guess they don't call it the center of the universe for nuthin!

Even so, the high cost of living and decreased quality of life compared to the suburbs (or outer boroughs) is enough to drive anyone away if you ask me.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
also, due to the cost of buying an apartment in NYC most people rent. You're only in your contract for 1 or 2 years. If you move to another state or something chances are you'll buy a house and then you have a 30 year mortgage which kind of holds people in place i think too. NYC provides the ability to leave when you want to with no ties.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I think people in my building have been here since the ELIZABETHAN AGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City