Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,149 times

Advertisements

I have been seconded to move to NY for 12 months with my wife and 18month old baby. I will be working around the Madison/45th St area. Our budget will be $5-6,000 per month.

Reading this forum, it appears that we have a good budget. However, we are looking for the follwing:

- safe area
- popular with families
- 3 bedrooms/bath
- near some open spaces
- good childcare facilities (daycare)

It appears that UES, UWS, Midtown east and wesat are all good - however we are struggling to work out pros and cons of each one

any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Being close to Central Park is an asset with children, since you will have numerous recreational opportunities and open space, which is why I would tend to recommend the UES/UWS for your situation. The UES would win out only because it's an easier commute when you're already on the east side of the park. However, the UWS might be worth it if you prefer the area, though it's going to take a bit longer to get to work.

I would not recommend Midtown East, though it's convenient for work, because it tends to have more of a single or couple population, overall, save for some pockets along the river around Sutton Place and Beekman Terrace where there are some families. There are families in Midtown East, to be sure, but it's not the same as areas of the UES/UWS or Park Slope in Brooklyn, Riverdale in The Bronx, where there are more families who live in the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
When you see the rents you might want a 2 bedroom, rather than a 3 bedroom. The areas you've selected are fine - you'll have a choice of apartments, but more if you go with 2 bedrooms rather than 3. Three bedrooms with 3 baths might be tough to find, however.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,149 times
Thanks for the reponses.

We are now focusing more on UWS - does anyone have any views on what the area around West/60th is like?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
I prefer a little farther uptown (in the 70s), myself, as it's a bit more residential. But overall, a nice area.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdes View Post
Thanks for the reponses.

We are now focusing more on UWS - does anyone have any views on what the area around West/60th is like?

I have a friend that lives in a really nice 3 bedroom/2 bath on 59th st. Its very very nice.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 438,773 times
there's a noticeable difference between the w60s and the w70s. the w60s (lincoln square area) has post-war high rises, more commercial/retail buildings, lincoln center, movie theaters, etc. It's more crowded on the sidewalks.

THe w70s and above is definitely more residential - prewar apts, brownstones, more trees, quieter, smaller shops/restaurants.

As for rents - if you're looking for high-rise, luxury apts, the w60s is where you'll find them. If you're looking for brownstones, or pre-war apts on CPW, the w70s and above are for you.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Your rent budget is $5-6k per month, or your total living budget? That answer will make a huge difference in what you can afford.

Upper East or West Sides are the most family friendly. I would look between 65th and 96th Streets on either side. The open space is Central Park, as well as a few small parks sprinkled across both the UES and UWS. Both are family friendly- gross over-statements here, but the UES is more WASP-y and preppy; the UWS is more Jewish and intellectual.

Agree with pp that you will probably decide to forgoe the 3rd bedroom (NO one except the millionaires and billionaires have guest rooms in Manhattan) once you see rents.

If your wife stays home, she will likely be shocked at the amount of nannies with kids during the day, even when the moms don't work.

If Manhattan is a long-term home for your family, you will need to begin researching nursery school and elementary school options ASAP as private schools are very competitive- and costly. I'm not as up on my public schools as I once was, but PS 6 on the UES used to be outstanding. Do your research- it would be great peace of mind to know you're in a good district if private school doesn't pan out the way you expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City