Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What has kept SI the least populated borough in NY? It's huge, yet the population is not very dense, especially when compared to the other boroughs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Lack of subway?
That's part of it. The other part is that you have a lot of marshland, and some of it is protected (like the Greenbelt). I mean, most of the areas along the West Shore Expressway are either industrial areas or part of the Fresh Kills Landfill, so those will probably never get developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
SI and Northern NJ (for example Essex and Bergen) both seem similar in how the look-pretty suburban and laid back, but I heard some people say they are still different. I am talking about the overall vibe and the people. How does it compare? I read that SI is mainly made up from NYers from Brooklyn and other boroughs, but isn't NJ similar in that sense? It has a buncha NYers and immigrants as well.
any more on this?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What has kept SI the least populated borough in NY? It's huge, yet the population is not very dense, especially when compared to the other boroughs.
Very poor road & building planing. We are on an Island. You would think we could have a great shore line with lot's of summer traffic like NJ. Buy we don't.

The powers that be butched the shore line that any type of summer shore activity is all but non existant.

Our roads & highways are so poorly designed we can barely accomodate the traffic we have now. A typical commute from mid-Island to mid town is over 90 mins. South shore to down down is 90 minsutes, south shore to mid town almost 2 hours. The North shore commute to NYC is vastly worse.

We are the bastard child of NYC & NYS therefore we don't receive prime services or the right amount of money for services.

Our Bourogh President is a crook.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Staten Island is boring and far away. Liike a poor man's MORRISTOWN.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Exactly: far away is the best part! Far away from people like you.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
nah only raekwon and ghost are from park hill/stapleton, i think.

Ghostface was the only member born on Staten Island I believe. And yes, he's from Stapleton. Raekwon was born in Brooklyn and moved to Parkhill when he was like 8 or something ("Moms bounced on old man, so then we moved to Shaolin Land") but considers himself strictly a Staten Islander (and "Parkhillian," lol). Method Man was born and lived in Hempstead until he was 13 but considers himself a Staten Islander. RZA, GZA and U-God all originate in Brownsville I believe but consider themselves Staten Islanders before anything. Not sure which borough Inspectah Deck was born in but he also considers himself a Staten Islander. All of them except Ghostface are from Parkhill. Additionally, Masta Killa is from East NY and ODB was from Fort Greene and didn't spend any of their youths living on the Island, as far as I know.

As far as the "Shaolin" name, supposedly it's from some martial arts film where the characters' place of origin is named Shaolin, so they dubbed their place of origin "Shaolin." I've also heard it's because the Shaolin Temple is where the characters in these films came up and honed their skills and serves as kind of their homebase, so it was an appropriate name for their home borough.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
Staten Island gets an 'F' for air quality -- the city's only failing grade | SILive.com I knew the air stinks here but thought other parts of ny have worse traffic, pollution.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Staten Island gets an 'F' for air quality -- the city's only failing grade | SILive.com I knew the air stinks here but thought other parts of ny have worse traffic, pollution.
I Blame NJ. Bastards.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I Blame NJ. Bastards.
U prolly rite lol

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I Blame NJ. Bastards.
And yet NJ has one of the highest life expectancies in the country.
Staten Island stays losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City