Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
there is one PJ on first about 92 street that backs up to york ave and big buck buildings, when those coops were being built I couldn't fathom spending big money to have a pj next door, but this is NY and strange things happen
That is the Holmes PJ's. Issacs and Holmes are immidiately adjacent to one another, so they are connected. It's like one PJ. They are right on the East Harlem border and isolated along the FDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
So now Hustla you are an expert on crime and a real estate tycoon? How about you stop reading from the NY times to get your real estate information. Real estate is in fact not plateauing in the city, especially for commercial properties (that includes any property over 3 families). Melrose was a wasteland and has been completely depopulated, and they are now rebuilding the entire swath for low and middle income housing, both subsidized and unsubsidized.

Nobody claims the Bronx is perfect, fashionable, or a "hot" place to live. However it is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s, and continues to improve...of course you will never recognize any changes or improvement. If they build new housing for low-income tenants (which is the bulk of the community) you dismiss it as "just more of the same," and if they build luxury condos, you complain that they are "trying to push the poor people out." The glass is always half empty with Hustla...I encourage all to look at his prior posts....he will not give any credit to anything that has or is occuring to improve the Bronx.
I'm not a real estate expert but common sense tells anyone these prices will eventually fall. They are reaching a plateau, in fact in one article I read this year housing will fall by almost 2% in NYC. As the housing values continue to drop it will be property in undesireable areas most effected. Disinvestment.

The changes you make such big deals about are very insignificant.

As for my "complaining" about kicking the poor people out. Your right, I do not support gentrification. However I am not "complaining" that not enough is being done in the Bronx, I am providing facts. The reality. There is a difference between complaining and stateing a fact.

And as usual Guywithacause will attempt a discredit. I say good things about the Bronx, but not the South Bronx. Sorry but that's the ghetto. Anyone can feel free to look through my past post.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post

Nobody claims the Bronx is perfect, fashionable, or a "hot" place to live. However it is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s

that's not saying much, sure the bronx is better now than then but nothing could've been worse than the bronx of the '70s.
nothing x nothing still equals nothing

Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 PM

32 posts, read 93,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

A lot of people say the Bronx is getting so much better. How it's so different. I just laugh. I know the Bronx like the back of my hand. Especially the lower income sections of the borough. Some people say "Oh I lived there when the Bronx was burning". That doesn't mean anything. The vast majority of people who say that grew up sheltered and never knew the streets of the Bronx to begin with. And the same goes now. I see the same old **** I have seen for years. The same **** I saw in 1987 I see in 2007. The same exact root problems exist. There are small difference, depopulation has been replaced by overpopulation for example but its pretty much the same old. A lot of problems.

People are just riding the real estate wave in the Bronx now. Ripping people off, making a quick buck. Eventually this will fizzel out and in the end we will be left with the same problems in the South Bronx. Those root problems exist now and will exist becuase nothing is being done. In fact those basic problem are only getting worse.
Its funny how you discount ppl who lived in the Bronx in that time period and still call it home. I live in those 'BAD' neighborhoods and actually went to the public schools there so how can my opinion be discounted. Are you involved in this area you know so well? Do you know the money coming into the Bronx with various projects to stimulate the ppl and its economy in order for you to determine the Bronx can never come up from under that dark cloud.
Its such a shame that ppl like you can just stop bitching for a moment and actually get your hands dirty and to realize ppl in the 'Bad' part of the Bronx want change and are willing to do it. I believe if you become involved in the community then maybe you will see a different side of the Bronx. but of course that would mean getting to know the poor families, their values and their dreams of creating a better place for their own kids.
Yet, wait the South Bronx can't be a good place to live its just filled with too many atrocities and the ppl like living like that.
I think only ppl who are ignorant of the real South Bronx make those types of assessments.

Last edited by Agrotera; 10-20-2007 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: more writing...

Old 10-20-2007, 06:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
^ I know Hustla just don't want to hear any positive change in these areas. He is just blind and is stuck in the 1970's and 80's. He will move, he said, but I dont think he ever will. He is probably scaring people away for personal reasons. I don't believe a word he says. For him everything in New York is geting worst, for the rest of us is getting better. Let him live in his own bubble.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
Its funny how you discount ppl who lived in the Bronx in that time period and still call it home. I live in those 'BAD' neighborhoods and actually went to the public schools there so how can my opinion be discounted. Are you involved in this area you know so well? Do you know the money coming into the Bronx with various projects to stimulate the ppl and its economy in order for you to determine the Bronx can never come up from under that dark cloud.
Its such a shame that ppl like you can just stop bitching for a moment and actually get your hands dirty and to realize ppl in the 'Bad' part of the Bronx want change and are willing to do it. I believe if you become involved in the community then maybe you will see a different side of the Bronx. but of course that would mean getting to know the poor families, their values and their dreams of creating a better place for their own kids.
Yet, wait the South Bronx can't be a good place to live its just filled with too many atrocities and the ppl like living like that.
I think only ppl who are ignorant of the real South Bronx make those types of assessments.
Your opinion is not being discounted unless you say somethng stupid like "the South Bronx is a great place to live". The problem is some members are doing just that. Misinformation.

Belive me, I am very involved in the South Bronx I even know it like the back of my hand. All the problems I see today, the root problems of the South Bronx are all as bad if not getting worse then the past.

The only way to change the South Bronx is through gentrification. However it will no longer be the South Bronx, it will be something different. As it is now, the housing trends are not encouraging gentrification in the South Bronx.

You can't change the ghetto, you can only move the ghetto dwellers out of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
^ I know Hustla just don't want to hear any positive change in these areas. He is just blind and is stuck in the 1970's and 80's. He will move, he said, but I dont think he ever will. He is probably scaring people away for personal reasons. I don't believe a word he says. For him everything in New York is geting worst, for the rest of us is getting better. Let him live in his own bubble.
I have no problem hearing about anything postive in an area in the South Bronx. However I have been around long enough and been involved enough to know there is only one thing that will change the ghetto. Displacement through gentrification. That I do not support and I do not see it in the South Bronx.

Trust me, if anyone lives in a bubble it's you. Just look at your post.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I have no problem hearing about anything postive in an area in the South Bronx. However I have been around long enough and been involved enough to know there is only one thing that will change the ghetto. Displacement through gentrification. That I do not support and I do not see it in the South Bronx.

Trust me, if anyone lives in a bubble it's you. Just look at your post.

Nobody is going to be displace by gentrification in the South Bronx, at least not yet. East Harlem will most likely be, but not the South Bronx. But there seems to be alot of positive change in the South Bronx, less abandonment, more mix developments, less grafitty and less garbage on the street, I have notice. So I think right now so far the change looks good. I believe crime has gone down from years pasts. Not lower than what has happened in Harlem, but lower compare to what happend in the area in the 70's to the 90's. Seems like positive change to me.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 AM

More postitive changes. And who would have though they come from this guy?

Soft Spot for the South Bronx

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Last edited by Keeper; 10-23-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: can't copy copyrighted material.. post link

Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Cyrus and agrotera....I agree that the Bronx is changing for the better..but naysayers like Hustla will always see the glass half empty...while others see the glass as half full..neither is wrong....but where we differ is that we see it filling, while Hustla sees it emptying. Unfortunately, no matter what is done in the Bronx it will never be enough, good enough, or positive to people like Hustla. You build new housing for low-income people, the people most in need of it, and he dismisses it as more of the same, and the future projects. You build housing like "luxury" condos in these communties and he calls them a racist attempt to get rid of all the poor people....you can't win with him....remember that.

It is unfortunate that he believes that anyone that says areas in the South Bronx are decent to live is misinformation. I am a product of these areas, educated in these areas, and remain in these areas, and it made me a better and stronger person. Is it perfect? Heck no..but where is? I enjoyed my childhood, and I am still here making things better.....not deterring people from coming back to the Bronx, or advising anyone of any good character to move away or stay away.

What would have happened if people like Hustla convinced Major Carter, an MBA graduate, from moving to Hunts Point....a communityu desperately needing leadership. She has already done immense things for Hunts Point, including the famers market to provide fresh fruit and vegetables to the community, spearheded the Barretto Point Park, as well as the Lafayette parks in Hunts point....where parks WERE non-existent. Google her name or "sustainable Bronx" to see what one person can do.

Hustla supposedly wants "real" changes to the community (whatever that means), but then deters the people who can make these changes from coming to the Bronx? He is only hurting the people he puports to care so much about. What about all the other Majora Carter's out there who were deterred because of people like Hustla...what else could the Bronx have had? Much improved schools? Effective leadership? We shall never know..way to go Hustla!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
Why is Hustla a NYC cop (if he really is one) if he has such a hopeless attitude?

Why does he live in NYC if he hates it

Why doesn't he live in the "decent" areas he recommends.

Why is he so unrelenting in his propaganda and so out of touch with the city...

Who can say?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Why is Hustla a NYC cop (if he really is one) if he has such a hopeless attitude?

Who can say?
I will try my best in what I think. Lol.

--------------------------------

Because I don't think he is a cop. He pretends to be one, so people will believe what he says is true.

I dont think he really hates the city. I think he hates change in the city. Or else he would have not become (supposely) a cop in the first place. He would have look for a job oustside the city.

He seems to really hate positive change. Or else he would not be quoting people who talk about the positive change they see. He just doesn't want to hear it and don't want others to hear it. He will again talk about how bad thing are in these areas and overlook almost all the good changes that are happening lately. It almost seems that he is scaring people away for his own personal pleasure. I always get the feeling that he might be laughing at us behind his computer. Like he is taking us for fools. I am a cop. Yeah right.

Exactly. Why doesn't he move away? He is a cop, I guess. Cops doesn't have to live in the South Bronx. There are other areas where he says is better. See, it just doesn't make sense.

Because he thinks people will believe anything he says. Remember he says he is a cop and he always thinks he is the only one that really lives in the South Bronx and nobody knows any better. He is like the spoke person and for everyone there. Even though other live there and have a different experience, he is alway right and everybody else is wrong.

--------------------------------

What I want to know is why others believe everything he says? He might be right in a few things, but when he goes over board with all the drama and how really awful and negative all these areas are and there will never be any positive change at all, then why really believe a guy like that? I think when someone is so bitter of his living condition, I think is better to just get away from such place. At one time I did that. I was not on a website telling everyone to get out or don't come live in the area I was. I was on a website looking for another better area to live at the time. I left as soon as I could. I haven't even been in the Philadelphia thread telling people to not go in that area. Actually people don't even have to ask, it is common sense over there. LOL. I usually applaud when I hear positive developments that will happen in North Philly. But Hustla will never do that and he will never leave. He just doesn't make sense at all, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City