Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Like us, they are more concerned with getting the anti-socials to clean up their acts.

Or, alternatively, moving as far away from them as we can.
I'm more worried about the anti-socials with the badges and guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This thread clearly illustrates the short term outlook of many people. They just don't see the bigger picture.

Of course stop and frisk works. If we dropped a few nuclear weapons on Iraq and Afghanistan when those wars started, that'd "work" too.

Our constitution and bill of rights guards us precisely from policies that "work". The question is at whose expense?
It is not even a question of what "works." The stupidity lies in the fact the energy would be better spent elsewhere - and this is DIRELY needed.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

167 posts, read 306,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Stop and frisk works to deter crime before it happens. A lot of drugs and weapons are lifted from "innocent" people supposedly milling about doing nothing. I don't know any normal law-abiding person who carries drugs, knives, or guns on them for no particular reason if they're not looking for trouble.

I've never been stopped and frisked because I don't behave in an erratic manner that brings attention to myself or makes me suspicious looking. I also don't dress in hoodies or some other kind of ghetto gettup trying to look tough and intimidating.

If you dress like a hoodlum and act suspiciously then you're inviting the cops and stop and frisk you and you have no right to complain.
FALSE

only 1% of stop and frisks result in discovering a weapon, and increasing the amounts of stop and frisks haven't resulted in proportionally more weapons being discovered

this is from data that the us courts forced NYPD to provide over the past decade

regarding drugs, I'm not a marijuana advocate, but a lot of people use... they aren't narcoterrorists

Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM

107 posts, read 272,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
not a crazy assumption, that stuff costs $$$$$$
I buy 100% silk ties at Marshall's, Daffy's, Century 21 and Nordstrom's Rack for $8-10 each. Even "ghetto gear" can be very expensive.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
I dress urban and even though I'm white, I have experienced this stop and frisk a lot in a different part of the country where cops are much more judgmental than NY, and it's very annoying, but it's necessary. Despite the above stats, things like that deter crime in high crime areas. Don't blame the police, put yourself in their shoes, they react based on what they see. If you don't wanna be harassed, dress like a middle aged white man lol or just comply and stop complaining, they're doing their job.
One time, I was dressed hella hood and the cop searched me for no real reason back in Pacific NW, and I told him after he was done that I wouldn't dress like that if I was actually up to no good. He said: "What would you dress like?" And I thought about it for a sec and said-"Like you!" LOL He was laughing, and I was then let go promptly.
Basically, you can still dress hood, just comply and be respectful when they stop you, and most of the time you will get the same back.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
There have been numerous complaints filed against TPD by members of the Black Community, but it falls on deaf ears. The main reason for this is that there is no representation that has our interests in mind in Toronto City Council or Canadian government, that is a result of having very few Black's in political positions of power.

I do agree with your sentiment though, educate your black grandsons because it will be necessary. Personally the Toronto PD has been the worst department I have dealt with of any city I have lived, the situation for young black men there is depressing.
What about 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement? What's their take on this issue? They should be able to see both sides, no?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
FALSE

only 1% of stop and frisks result in discovering a weapon, and increasing the amounts of stop and frisks haven't resulted in proportionally more weapons being discovered

this is from data that the us courts forced NYPD to provide over the past decade

regarding drugs, I'm not a marijuana advocate, but a lot of people use... they aren't narcoterrorists
You must know the concept of pursuing quality of life crimes, having a strong police presence and penalizing little things, definitely is preventative of some of the larger things.

I cannot see stop and frisk hurting anyone, but only helping the neighborhood. I'm not in love with police, but I hate crime more, and policing the streets and showing a presence is essential to keeping us all safe.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I dress urban and even though I'm white, I have experienced this stop and frisk a lot in a different part of the country where cops are much more judgmental than NY, and it's very annoying, but it's necessary. Despite the above stats, things like that deter crime in high crime areas. Don't blame the police, put yourself in their shoes, they react based on what they see. If you don't wanna be harassed, dress like a middle aged white man lol or just comply and stop complaining, they're doing their job.
One time, I was dressed hella hood and the cop searched me for no real reason back in Pacific NW, and I told him after he was done that I wouldn't dress like that if I was actually up to no good. He said: "What would you dress like?" And I thought about it for a sec and said-"Like you!" LOL He was laughing, and I was then let go promptly.
Basically, you can still dress hood, just comply and be respectful when they stop you, and most of the time you will get the same back.
Ya know, when I think of hoodies and crime, the first thing that comes to mind is the Unibomber - a white guy. He was from that area, too, I think.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,610 times
The numbers show its blatant racism courtesy of the NYPD period. Another 'assume your guilty first, then prove your innocent' policy that is largely ineffective and widens the relationship gap between the police and the targeted communities

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

If black and brown folks don't like it--then work on lowering the crime rate in your communities.

Unfortunately the civility of the neighborhood suffers as a result of a few bad apples, but if the police did NOTHING, those same people in neighborhood would be crying about the police not doing anything. So as far as I can see, the NYPD is in a catch-22.
Unfortunately, this is absolutely true in Harlem. It comes out in many meetings. If the police fail to curtail crime, they are racist. If they do things to curtail crime, they are racist. "Dialogues" and meetings and "outreach" are established to "create understanding." And in the meantime, while everyone is talking and talking and explaining "Our History" and everything else, another 16 year-old wearing his pants around his knees guns down somebody at the playground over a girl. Or drugs. Or nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City