Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

$900 a week on booze? If this isn't some sort of flame, I suggest that you attend your first AA meeting ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 PM

87 posts, read 236,271 times
it's really easy to spend 900 a week on booze and not be an alcoholic. i've done it multiple times. it's pretty easy to spend 200 bucks a night when partying it up at a couple nice spots that have really nice drinks. buy a couple for pals, girls,e tc.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajaydee View Post
I calculated my potential budget and after all expenses including Rent, Utilities, Groceries, Student loan payments, Insurance etc. I'm left with approx $900 per month. Is this enough to live in NYC? I go to bars/clubs on a regular basis and I'm not sure that it'll be enough to pay for my lifestyle.
No, I personally do not know how everyone (at least it seems) appears to have so much disposable income that they can goto trendy restaurants, bars etc.. spend hundreds (even thousands) on new clothes every week etc, I mean what percentage of people in NYC work on Wall Street ?? . I am from NYC but now live outside of Boston. Even here my expenses run close to $7,000 a month and I am completely single (no wife, child, parent or even pet to support). I can't even think about 'going out' anywhere since there is nothing left over

Last edited by NickL28; 04-17-2012 at 05:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I calculated my potential budget and after all expenses including Rent, Utilities, Groceries, Student loan payments, Insurance etc. I'm left with approx $900 per month. Is this enough to live in NYC? I go to bars/clubs on a regular basis and I'm not sure that it'll be enough to pay for my lifestyle.
No, I personally do not know how everyone (at least it seems) appears to have so much disposable income that they can goto trendy restaurants, bars etc.. spend hundreds (even thousands) on new clothes every week etc.. I am from NYC but now live outside of Boston which is slightly less expensive than NYC. Even here my expenses run close to $7,000 a month and I am completely single (no wife, child, parent or even pet to support). I can't even think about 'going out' anywhere since there is nothing left over

Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Does that include the monthly cost for an Iphone and the amount you will need to spend for nice clothing to wear to such places?? No offense, but you aren't getting in if you are wearing discount duds from TJ Maxx or even Century 21 (which seems to have gotten more downscale over the years).

For me, I couldn't do it even while living in Queens in a studio apartment and making close to $85,000 a year as a completely single person(this was back in 2006 & 2007).. $900 a month left over?? I was lucky to have $90..

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Don't drink downtown...save that for LES, UES, LWS or UWS. There are some places in midtown. If you buy people drinks, I hope each of them also buys a round...you basically pay what you would have if you drank alone and had drank the same amount of drinks. If this is not enough, buy less groceries or buy cheaper groceries (ie. skip the chicken breast and get 5 boxes of macaroni and cheese instead).
That Mac & Cheese will kill you eventually or lead to obesity.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 AM

207 posts, read 513,868 times
Oh, I didn't mean weekly. Just when it was more efficient to do so.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 9,498 times
I think might be a little misleading. What I mean by saying I freqent bars/clubs means I go out probaby every Friday/Saturday averging out to 8 nights a month. I currently live in Boston and its very easy to have that $900 last you a longtime, but in NYC I'm not that sure.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
If you go to regular, midrange bars/lounges on Friday/Saturday nights, which is what I do, I spend about $75-100 a night on food and drink.

If you're going to clubs, getting bottle service, etc., you'll spend much, much more than that.

What I've started doing when I go out is, I take only enough cash for the night (I usually bring $100 cash), and that's my limit. When I used to run tabs on my card, it would get out of hand really fast because I couldn't keep track

Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you go to regular, midrange bars/lounges on Friday/Saturday nights, which is what I do, I spend about $75-100 a night on food and drink.

If you're going to clubs, getting bottle service, etc., you'll spend much, much more than that.

What I've started doing when I go out is, I take only enough cash for the night (I usually bring $100 cash), and that's my limit. When I used to run tabs on my card, it would get out of hand really fast because I couldn't keep track
This is a very smart way to set an "entertainment" budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: