Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM

48 posts, read 65,053 times

Advertisements

There's a YMCA in CT. Actually 3 right by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Actually, there is a YMCA on 33rd Rawson St. where I used to take swimming lessons and an after school program. They have plenty of activities for children and there are also special classes for moms as well. And across YMCA, there's LaGuardia, with a larger swimming pool, ice skating rink, and I believe there's rollerblading.
Would this be in Sunnyside? If so, living there would have its own challenges, not that Sunnyside is generally a bad place.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb421 View Post
I've had my fill of Costco. So over that. I spend $500. and have toilet paper and bottled water.
The BJs in Flushing has a big Asian supermarket in the same building where you can get lots of fresh seafood at lower prices, and hard-to-find fresh vegetables. Not saying its worth trading a life in Manhattan though. Just a plug in for Queens.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Asian supermarket I'll take! I haven't had one of those since I lived in Northern VA

Old 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM

I remember, on the same 2x/month trip to BJs for staples and target for toiletries (they are all in the same building), we would stop by the Asian supermarket and load up on seafood, milkfish, Yakult, fresh bok choy, lychees, bitter melon, Ma Ling and pork belly (the best for summer BBQs!). Those are the things we will miss about Queens.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM

I was talking with someone today that used to live in Astoria. They loved it and I really think I would too, but I do think I would miss out on some of the things I'm moving for. Same goes with Brooklyn. I actually think I'd love living in Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights but it isn't the same thing as the UES. It just isn't.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb421 View Post
I actually think I'd love living in Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights but it isn't the same thing as the UES. It just isn't.
They both look nicer on average than the UES.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM

The thing with cherry picking in the boroughs is this - any given neighborhood in Queens and Brooklyn (maybe except for Park Slope and still...) will probably give you 70% of what you need to conduct your family business, but not nearly everything you would want to give up a life in a CT suburb for (assuming Ridgefield or New Canaan as points of comparison). So far only Manhattan can do that.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The thing with cherry picking in the boroughs is this - any given neighborhood in Queens and Brooklyn (maybe except for Park Slope and still...) will probably give you 70% of what you need to conduct your family business, but not nearly everything you would want to give up a life in a CT suburb for (assuming Ridgefield or New Canaan as points of comparison). So far only Manhattan can do that.
This is just what I was feeling. And I am in one of those two towns you mentioned. Places people wish they could be. It's wonderful but not what my husband and I want. Most people can't understand it, but believe it not, it isn't everything you'd think.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM

23 posts, read 66,864 times
Wow. This topic has gotten a lot of responses. I am a born and raised NYer (Washington Heights and the Bronx all my life) and I also raised my child from those places but he went to school on UES and UWS.

A couple of thoughts that no one has yet brought up - Yes, indeed there are lots of families on the UES but those are mostly Park Avenue types who live an entirely different lifestyle. Most of what you are going to find in the buildings you are mentioning are 20 something, just moved to the city, bunking together kids. That might be great or of no consequence to you but just thought I'd bring it up.
Also you spoke about exposing your kids to diversity. Well you're not going to get that on the UES, not at all. In fact, you might want to think about taking frequent trips out of Manhattan or at least subway rides. Manhattan has become an increasingly homogenized place. In fact, at this point, you might have more diversity in CT.
But most importantly you're just looking to rent - it's not an interminable pact. You're try it for a while and if it doesn't work then maybe try one of the outer boroughs or go back to CT. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And I think NYC is the best place to raise a child. They have an independent, mature spirit that you just don't see in suburban kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City