Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 AM

48 posts, read 65,049 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate everyone's responses. It's helping me prepare for the reality of it all. Yes, I have lived in the city. When I was single. It was a 2nd floor walk up in west midtown super tiny but I LOVED it!
I talked with a broker and I agree I'm probably looking at closer to $2700. for rent to have something we're happy with. That's okay, the difference between that and the $2200. I hoped for is what my husband pays a month now for a train pass.
I'm happy for all the grocery tips.
As for being unrealistic about my lifestyle in NYC, I'm certainly not thinking I'm going to be living it up and shopping everyday on 5th Ave. That's not me. It's not about the suburbs being boring its about showing our boys there's more than one way to live. More than one way to get something done. The truth is that the suburbs are great in so many ways for kids, but it's not the only way to live with kids.
If you don't have children you are in no position to judge the choices of someone with kids- you're clueless about what it really means to be responsible for little people. I grew up in Northern Virginia and the great part about that area is that it's a melting pot like NYC. You see people from all over the world. You grow up respecting people for their differences. I want my boys to see that too.
I'm a big believer that it's your attitude that determines your happiness. I know plenty of families in big fancy surburean homes that are miserable. We are very content with what we have and I work very hard to give my boys an attitude of thankfulness. We have so much that other people don't but sometimes it's hard to focus on that when you look around and only see what you don't have. I'm not moving my family to NYC because we're not happy in the suburbs. I'm moving them because I think it will open their minds and give them some amazing expierences that they otherwise wouldn't have.
I know it's going to be challenging, that's kind of the fun part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
The city is a great place to raise kids - if you can afford it. Those after school art classes at the Met or music lessons at Lucy Moses are terrific ways to build real talent. Some people just cannot accept it because they do not want to admit that the real reason they moved to the suburbs is because they could not afford to raise kids in the city.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
"Some people just cannot accept it because they do not want to admit that the real reason they moved to the suburbs is because they could not afford to raise kids in the city"

Yes, listen to Forest Hills Daddy, there is only one truth, reasonable people could not possibly diasgree on this! They simply must have some ulterior design.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM

15 posts, read 33,632 times
One thing that is very expensive in the city is preschool but St. Stephens, St. Josephs are good deals in the area you are looking at and the art farm is not bad if you do the 12:30 to 3:30 drop off for $250 per month. Also, many people get memberships to the zoo and the amnh. The libraries have free story times. The kids classes are generally pricey but you can find some deals. And the playgrounds at asphalt green and Carl schurz are great.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 33,632 times
Also, there are no shops on 5th . They are on Madison.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

142 posts, read 461,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb421 View Post
I SO appreciate all the responses. I certainly don't want to enter into a decision like this without considering every perpective.
I should say that I don't mind a very small apt. I need a room for my husband and I that will fit a full size bed (we like to snuggle) and I need a room that will fit a bunk bed and a small computer desk. Both my boys play with legos and their 3DS's, so very little toy storage required. A book shelf, sofa and table should finish it up. I'm looking to go as minimal as possible because I am so darn sick of all the stuff we have that we NEVER use! And who said a walk-up is negative, I hardly get to exercise with taking care of the boys and house stuff that's my stair climber I'm quite tired of cleaning all day and still having to pay someone to come and do the heavy cleaning weekly. I'm excited to sell all our junk we thought we NEEDED that now sits in boxes collecting dust in our never used playroom. The suburbs can be very isolating. You have to pack everyone up in the car to go anywhere.
As far as the insurance comment, we have excellent insurance and I've included the premium payment in my calculations as before take home pay. My well checks are free and my sick visits are $20.
Groceries- This won't be my first time buying groceries I've done that many times before. I can feed our family organic, no dyes, no high fructose corn syrup food for 75/wk in Fairfield County, CT so I highly doubt that $700. won't cover us. My trick is meal planning and I don't throw food away. Plus my husband is in the restaurant business and frequently brings dinner home- huge perk!
I don't plan on saving all the $1800. I have left after my bills, that's mostly my fun money. The bonuses my huband receives quarterly cover our savings objectives.
I'm not looking to live like I do now- at all! I don't want to try to duplicate my lifestyle I want a totally new one. I'm certain that with a good attitude and some realistic expectations we will be very happy in Manhattan. Honestly I've done quite a lot of reading about the various public middle school choices in the UES and I'm happy with them- I have no desire to send my boys to Manhattan private school. If I was going to do that I'd stay in CT and my kids would be some of the most well off financially in their school. There's no perfect place. I'm not looking for perfect I'm looking to raise my boys where people come in more than one shade and everyone's house looks differently than the one next door.
I am a firm believer that something is what you make of it. There are children all over NYC and the world that would die to have my children's life. Here, in CT and what it would be in Manhattan. And then, of course, there are children whose parents make 50x my HHI. I'm okay with that.
I guess we're doing it backwards and that throws people off. Most people do the city then have kids and move away. We moved to the suburbs, had kids and now we're missing the culture, excitement and experience of Manhattan.
Fantastic attitude! We need more people like you coming in and less fauxpen-minded hipsters.

Welcome to New Yawk!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbsearching View Post
Also, there are no shops on 5th .
I always like shopping at the Met. It's on 5th ave.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
No shops on 5th? Bergdorf, Tiffany, Saks, Apple, FAO, A&F, H&M - they are all along 5th.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I always like shopping at the Met. It's on 5th ave.
Fifth Avenue and WHAT?

Or are you talking about the METropolitan Museum instead of MET Supermarkets. (If so, good joke.)

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I couldn't agree more!
Manhattan and NYC in general is a horrible place for a child to grow up. I can definitely see why people move to Westchester and Long island.
Here, there's liitle grass, few trees, plenty of dirt on the streets, and a sea of people rushing to go everywhere.

The city is great for young, ambitious, goal-oriented invidivuals looking to advance their career while making good money, but not to raise a family.
At least, that's how I see it.
I don't get why they wouldn't just live in Queens. You can get a really nice place in Astoria and be right near the action. I get the allure of the City and being right there, but downgrading and giving your child no place to play doesn't seem like much fun. You could find a place in Forest Hills near a subway station for 1800 and have parks and grass to play and still be only 25 minutes from the city.

I don't think it's horrible, but it's not really an amazing place for a child. Crazy bums, trash, concrete. But I guess if I had the chance for a couple years to live in the City and the money to live comfortably (note comfortably) I might think about it. But ultimately I will end up in the burbs for better schools and green grass to play on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City