Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times

Advertisements

these other NYC area events will also take place this weekend?

Miami Heat at New York Knicks......Tonight in Manhattan

Toronto Raptors at Brooklyn Nets......Tomorrow in Brooklyn

Pittsburgh Steelers at New York Giants..........East Rutherford, NJ.........same day as Marathon

So shouldn't the other NYC area events be cancelled this weekend also?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM

43,759 posts, read 44,538,330 times
Probably because the Marathon has gotten more coverage about it being not canceled at the same time that is a lot suffering still in Staten Island and the Rockaways.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
The marathon takes up far more police and EMS assets through five boroughs than a basketball game. What does a football game in another state have to do with NYC?

That football game isn't going to happen if they don't get the power back on in that area.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,446,611 times
What Chava said, there was an article about one of the larger hotels in Staten island not allowing runners to stay and instead allowing the locals who have lost there homes stay there. People are angry because the city is spending so much time getting things ready for the Marathon while people not just in Staten Island but in lower manhattan as well still have no electricity and to top that all off gas is hard to come by. Already in Staten Island where I live there are just now people starting to get help but if anything we get nothing. Staten Island is an ignored borough especially the north shore which is more working class, it's a damn shame really and it just makes me hate ny that much more.

I'm fairly certain not as many people in Manhattan died as opposed to the fact that we are still fishing bodies out around staten island this just shows us where the priorities of Bloomberg and the rest of ny lay.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I'm fairly certain not as many people in Manhattan died as opposed to the fact that we are still fishing bodies out around staten island this just shows us where the priorities of Bloomberg and the rest of ny lay.
Most of the heavily damaged areas of Staten Island and all of the Rockaways were evacuation zones. People who chose to ignore evacuation orders sealed their fate. Now instead of spending resources on clean up, they have to spend them on search and rescue/recover. If people had gone to shelters like they were told to, they wouldn't be cold and hungry (or worse) right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM

151 posts, read 183,519 times
Because people love to complain. Not only they did not prepare properly for the storm, ignored evacuation orders but expect miracles. The runners are not gonna restore power, they are not electricians.

Being without power is nothing new and it sucks but it is what it is. I've been without power for 3+ weeks during Andrew and Katrina in August's 100+ degree heat index weather. There is nothing you can do, restoring power TAKES TIME, so does emergency help. People were told to buy food and water but there is always people complaining a few days after the storm they're starving. It happens in NY, FL everywhere. People love to go to the news stations blane the government and act like victims. I've see women complaining here in Florida two or three days after a hurricane blaming politicians and claiming children are starving

I can't say I'm surprised though. I see it all the time here in Florida. Use common sense people. News channels love drama and will exagerate some situations.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Probably because the Marathon has gotten more coverage about it being not canceled at the same time that is a lot suffering still in Staten Island and the Rockaways.

But if the marathon was already on the schedule for Sunday, why did Bloomberg even have to make the announcement? He didn't announce that the Knicks game was still on for Friday, the Nets game is still on for Saturday and that the Giants game is still on for Sunday

This whole thing is confusing

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM

241 posts, read 373,362 times
traffic is a nightmare, and the marathon will make it worse.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But if the marathon was already on the schedule for Sunday, why did Bloomberg even have to make the announcement? He didn't announce that the Knicks game was still on for Friday, the Nets game is still on for Saturday and that the Giants game is still on for Sunday

This whole thing is confusing
First of all, Bloomberg has nothing to do with the football game. Please look at a map. It's in NEW JERSEY, not NYC.

The reason he made the announcement about the marathon is because people were asking. It's a very big once a year thing. Over 40,000 runners come from out of town/state/country. Basketball games attract locals and maybe a handful of tourists and die hard fans. Basketball games are held in a single venue, not through all five boroughs. Basketball games require minimal public resources. Is this all really that difficult for you to understand?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
First of all, Bloomberg has nothing to do with the football game. Please look at a map. It's in NEW JERSEY, not NYC.

The reason he made the announcement about the marathon is because people were asking. It's a very big once a year thing. Over 40,000 runners come from out of town/state/country. Basketball games attract locals and maybe a handful of tourists and die hard fans. Basketball games are held in a single venue, not through all five boroughs. Basketball games require minimal public resources. Is this all really that difficult for you to understand?

Ok I thought people were complaining because they thought it was inappropriate since there are so many people having hard time after the Hurricane. And I was like well shouldn't they be complaining about the other events in the city this weekend?

Also why are you on the NYC boards so much? Are you about to move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City