Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times

Advertisements

I agree the policy is just... I don't know, wrong. But in some situations I don't know if there are other options.

This past winter I witnessed a mugging at 4 am. A guy had a knife up to another man's throat. I completely froze, as is my usual response when I get scared. I called the cops but by the time they arrived, the guy took off. We gave the cops a description: black male, mid 20's, black coat, jeans, average height and build. They took note and walked on. I continued on my way to the subway. On the way, i see two cops friskingthe wrong guy. He was cooperating, but clearly embarassed and confused. I felt awful. I immediately told the cops I had called and that was NOT the right guy. They let him go and he ran off. He was really upset, and I was too, to the point of tears. I still feel really ****ty about that, I dont know why. I've been in situations before where fingers are pointed at me just because I happened to be a nonwhite person in the wrong place. It feels awful. But at 4 am, I guess anyone couldve been a suspect.

The worst part is, as I finally got on the train, guess who I saw?! The mugger, playing with his brand new iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM

93 posts, read 194,379 times
^ now thats real. cats get thirsty at the end of the month when they out of foodstamps n gotta pay bills. dudes around my block be fiendin for a quick hustle just 2 get that paper. even if it means runnin off wit a iphone n beats.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Here's a very intelligent quote regarding the program from a cop I rarely agree with:

Does he deserve to die nightcrawler? Is it ok if ANYONE believes that you should die because you are gay? If someone told you that you did deserve to die for that, who would you call to report it?

OK, I admit that ( dying comment ) was a bit much, I can take that back, and I will.

It really was upsetting though, we really were just walking home talking, nothing more, nothing less.....talking is allowed on the sidewalks....

I am a middle age man, I have 3 (trips) sons at 28 years old, I am not thug off the street, so to me this stop & frisk was totally un-called for.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 05-17-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
...huh? You're kidding, right?

So you're supposed to give us a reason to believe you were just quietly walking around talking...and instead you give us a reason to NOT believe you.

we were just walking and talking, most people in the neighborhood do that. some even walk alone.

why is that so hard to believe??

I am old enough to be a grandfather, I am by no means a thug, but I can't help my ethniticity and look it as well, that I cannot do anything about.

so I get all the black and latino young men, I get it....and it isn't right.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I agree the policy is just... I don't know, wrong. But in some situations I don't know if there are other options.

This past winter I witnessed a mugging at 4 am. A guy had a knife up to another man's throat. I completely froze, as is my usual response when I get scared. I called the cops but by the time they arrived, the guy took off. We gave the cops a description: black male, mid 20's, black coat, jeans, average height and build. They took note and walked on. I continued on my way to the subway. On the way, i see two cops friskingthe wrong guy. He was cooperating, but clearly embarassed and confused. I felt awful. I immediately told the cops I had called and that was NOT the right guy. They let him go and he ran off. He was really upset, and I was too, to the point of tears. I still feel really ****ty about that, I dont know why. I've been in situations before where fingers are pointed at me just because I happened to be a nonwhite person in the wrong place. It feels awful. But at 4 am, I guess anyone couldve been a suspect.

The worst part is, as I finally got on the train, guess who I saw?! The mugger, playing with his brand new iPhone.

I get that, that's what it feels like. It is horrible., You have to have it happen to understand the feeling.

and we got frisked around 6 pm after dinner, like I stated several times in this thread, just walking down the block....talking.....I have been in this building for 25 years, walking down the block talking....again, I can't help my nationality and the way I look.

just walking and talking, nothing more nothing less.

To me, walking and talking is not enough of of a reason to stop and frisk. Sorry, I don't buy it.

To Airborneguy, I am sorry if I offend you in any way. Again, maybe dying was a little too strong, and it probably was......

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
It makes you sound like the psychopaths the cops are out there to bust.
I don't know... I think law enforcement officers in general need to remember that their conduct (or misconduct, in some cases) has the potential to burn a lot of bridges. There have been at least a couple cases of bystanders refraining from assisting officers who had been injured or were in distress... and of course, the US has way, way more officers per capita assaulted or murdered than other developed nations. These are symptoms of a troubled law enforcement system.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't know... I think law enforcement officers in general need to remember that their conduct (or misconduct, in some cases) has the potential to burn a lot of bridges.
The public in general should realize that the vast majority of officers do know this. That's a large part of the problem also. It's real simple: go through the papers and every incident, write down the cops names. In 5 years, read your list. You'll have maybe 300 names on it. In 5 years there will have been nearly 5 million recorded police-civilian interactions. Those odds don't even come close to proving that "all" cops are bad.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I would agree that I think (or at least like to believe) that the bulk of police officers are victims of the same system that we are. They are forced to do things they know will be bad for themselves and the community, and nobody wins. Which tells me we need change from the TOP...Ray Kelly has got to go. We need new life, new perspective, new direction for the NYPD, and it is time for a true change.

We are not going to get it from Kelly, and I hope that the new Mayor will bring in someone new with fresh ideas to mix things up, listen to what cops on the street have to say, as well as feedback from the community. Only then will we have a police force that actually "serves and protects" instead of "self-serves and protects themselves."

Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeLoNLoCoBx View Post
^ now thats real. cats get thirsty at the end of the month when they out of foodstamps n gotta pay bills. dudes around my block be fiendin for a quick hustle just 2 get that paper. even if it means runnin off wit a iphone n beats.
I'm not sure any of this is English. Is there a Google Translator for this?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The public in general should realize that the vast majority of officers do know this. That's a large part of the problem also. It's real simple: go through the papers and every incident, write down the cops names. In 5 years, read your list. You'll have maybe 300 names on it. In 5 years there will have been nearly 5 million recorded police-civilian interactions. Those odds don't even come close to proving that "all" cops are bad.
That is very true. It's like customer service. You only remember and hear about the bad stuff, you never hear about the good stuff. The majority of cops help people and are out there trying to do right by the citizens, while a small minority act like they are God and untouchable. It will ALWAYS be there. By percentages, you have far less corrupt cops then small towns Upstate. Those guys are bored and like to create drama. They also get in trouble for rapes, coverups, and stealing drugs to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City