Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times

Advertisements

How many people live on Staten Island? Like a half million or so? BRT may not be too horrible an option - but they have to do it in way that's reliable and it doesn't start bursting at the seams too soon.

And NO (dis)honor system like on the Select Buses - especially if this BRT has its own right-of-way. I like the SBS but I'm still not a big fan of how they implemented the pay before you board system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
How many people live on Staten Island? Like a half million or so? BRT may not be too horrible an option - but they have to do it in way that's reliable and it doesn't start bursting at the seams too soon.

And NO (dis)honor system like on the Select Buses - especially if this BRT has its own right-of-way. I like the SBS but I'm still not a big fan of how they implemented the pay before you board system.
BRT sounds nice right now, but the thing is Staten Island is experiencing a growing population. That busway won't be worth **** in the next 5 - 10 years, better to think of the growing population infrastructure and how to support growth. You can see this incredible foresight implemented in the design of the subway from Engineers 100 - 80 yrs ago! Now we have fumbling idiots who can't even manage books, better yet plan and maintain transit efficiently!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post

The current pay system on sbs was supposed to be a transitional thing until they figured out something better but I get the pesky feeling mta is settling for it. I think it sucks also. I can't stand seeing so many people get on for free.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The current pay system on sbs was supposed to be a transitional thing until they figured out something better but I get the pesky feeling mta is settling for it. I think it sucks also. I can't stand seeing so many people get on for free.
Until we get a good contactless pay system, what you see is what you get. Anything else is too slow.

Checkmate, I would love to see Heavy Rail on S.I., but there are other corridors that need it more (Centerline West Bronx, Cross Town at 125th, Triborough RX). Staten Island will be behind the curve for some time due to a combination of limited funding and backwards attitudes on the island towards density.

I would have preferred an extension of the Hudson County light rail so at least residents could utilize a one seat ride to downtown JC. Would likely boost density.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
The Island does need to boost Density , I just needs more Transit. Staten Island is Urbanized by Regional Standards....its one giant Urbanized Suburban...which most of the region lives in... Urbanized Suburbs were built around Heavy and LRT around the 1920s and 30s...

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
I guess the next step would be turnstiles instead of the +SBS+ system.

And the +SBS+ system actually decreases fare evasion, and aside from that, it usually attracts more paying riders. If you think about it, with the current system, once you walk onto the bus, you're home free (unless the B/O kicks you off), whereas on the +SBS+ system, you have to be constantly watching for fare inspectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Until we get a good contactless pay system, what you see is what you get. Anything else is too slow.

Checkmate, I would love to see Heavy Rail on S.I., but there are other corridors that need it more (Centerline West Bronx, Cross Town at 125th, Triborough RX). Staten Island will be behind the curve for some time due to a combination of limited funding and backwards attitudes on the island towards density.

I would have preferred an extension of the Hudson County light rail so at least residents could utilize a one seat ride to downtown JC. Would likely boost density.
But that's the thing: An extension of the HBLR would only serve half of the North Shore: Either east of Elm Park or west of it.

And in any case, a heavy rail really wouldn't cost that much more than light rail or a busway, since the original infrastructure was built to hold heavy rail. And plus, you have to look towards the future: Maybe now, a busway might be sufficient to handle the ridership, but who knows whether that would be the case years from now.

As for the density argument, here is a typical street on the North Shore. (I don't know why they call it Mariners' Park instead of Mariners' Harbor but whatever). It doesn't have any apartment buildings or anything (though there are some housing projects further down), and aside from that, the areas along the North Shore don't seem like they would be filled with NIMBYs, since they are less urban and (I hate to put it like this) not as wealthy as the other areas on SI.

By the way, you're right, it should be called the Hudson County Light Rail because it doesn't even go into Bergen County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Island does need to boost Density , I just needs more Transit. Staten Island is Urbanized by Regional Standards....its one giant Urbanized Suburban...which most of the region lives in... Urbanized Suburbs were built around Heavy and LRT around the 1920s and 30s...
Compared to citywide standards, it's still not too dense, though. But yeah, compared to a true suburb, it's definitely very dense.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM

^ I wouldn't say constantly. I ride those buses pretty regularly not every day but pretty regularly the inspectors don't come around enough. Compared to regular buses I see much more people not paying. Plus inspectors are inefficient. They stop the bus and check everyone's receipt. This defeats the whole purpose of what the SBS is supposed to be about.

Rush hours people bum rush those buses. Lots of people don't pay. It's better than what existed before but it could be so much better with some tweaks.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM

13 posts, read 19,812 times
What a shame for SI. Bus Rapid Transit truly is the bottom of the barrel.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitch View Post
What a shame for SI. Bus Rapid Transit truly is the bottom of the barrel.
I actually think the current way the SBS is set up would work pretty well in a lower density place. FWIW it would be much better than what currently exists in SI.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
I actually think the current way the SBS is set up would work pretty well in a lower density place. FWIW it would be much better than what currently exists in SI.
If this were anywhere else in the country, SI wouldn't be considered "lower density". Philadelphia hs heavy rail running through areas with more or less the same density as the North Shore of SI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City