Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

When I was exploring NYC I found this place by chance. For those who don't know:

Tudor City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically between 1st-2nd Ave and 40th-43rd Street, near the East River just overlooking the UN. Basically if you look west from the UN HQ you can see the brownstone looking apartments.

I remember chilling out in the communal garden there, and thought if I ever live in Manhattan this would be the place I'd like to live. I imagine it's very expensive, though, but a better location than say the Upper East Side IMO and also pretty quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Tudor City is not terribly expensive by Manhattan standards, actually. The main problem with the buildings tends to be the size of the apartments, as they tend to be quite small, and there have been rumblings of dissatisfaction with the way some buildings are managed by the cooperative association, nit uncommon in many Manhattan buildings. The area is also a bit removed from the city, as a whole, which can be good or bad, depending upon perspective, and is a protected historic urban renewal project.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
What I remember most about visiting the people I know who lived there was that the apartments are relatively small, even by Manhattan standards. But of course that's offset by the nice location and the quiet that comes from the isolation of the place.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Are the apartments rentals, co-ops or condos?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I was exploring NYC I found this place by chance. For those who don't know:

Tudor City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically between 1st-2nd Ave and 40th-43rd Street, near the East River just overlooking the UN. Basically if you look west from the UN HQ you can see the brownstone looking apartments.

I remember chilling out in the communal garden there, and thought if I ever live in Manhattan this would be the place I'd like to live. I imagine it's very expensive, though, but a better location than say the Upper East Side IMO and also pretty quiet.
SSSSHHHHHH. Please don't let out this secret!!!

Whilst the apartments are smaller they do tend to be much better built than the new developments and living area size is fine. All have been converted to co-op and a number of occupants/landlords have done some great renovations to the apartments.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM

96 posts, read 186,967 times
Co-ops
Mgt competence varies building to building
Just feels isolated, its avg 1/2 block walk to 2nd Ave in Midtown, 2.5 blocks to Grand Central Terminal and Grand Central Station. Though you wont need the latter as TC has its own USPS substation.
When 2nd ave subway arrives, it will be less isolated

Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I've been in a couple of studios in Tudor City and they are tiny.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Oh My GOD:

The new owners quickly set about converting Tudor City into co-op apartments, as was happening across the city. Conversions were completed with little problem but when the real estate market and economy slowed in 1989-1994, some co-op prices dropped significantly, as owners and investors were concerned that the co-ops themselves would become insolvent.

In April 2008, New York Magazine recalled the 1989 slump:

"... at Tudor City, owner Time Equities couldn't cover the complex's underlying mortgage and taxes (not to mention utility bills and staff costs), and ended up giving it away, unit by occupied unit, in a jaw-dropping fire sale: In 1992, if the new owner were willing to assume the accrued debts, a Tudor City one-bedroom could be had for $3,500

I rember the fire-sale auctions very well, but most were in the outer boroughs...not Tudor City that one slipped by me.
Part of the gimmick was that some of the lower priced co-ops came with a stabilized tenant who was as immoveable as Rodin's THE THINKER.
The developers having the fire sales often tried to hide this fact.

It was an EXCITING time...1989 to about 1992. Best time for a real estate bargain in my lifetime.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM

240 posts, read 621,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"... at Tudor City, owner Time Equities couldn't cover the complex's underlying mortgage and taxes (not to mention utility bills and staff costs), and ended up giving it away, unit by occupied unit, in a jaw-dropping fire sale: In 1992, if the new owner were willing to assume the accrued debts, a Tudor City one-bedroom could be had for $3,500

Great thread! I love NYC history. A 1 bedroom for $3500 but I wonder how much the accrued debt was! Betcha it was waaaaaaay more than that.

Based simply on the fact that the last people to get a good deal on Manhattan real estate were the Dutch ...when they bought it from the Lenape.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Great thread! I love NYC history. A 1 bedroom for $3500 but I wonder how much the accrued debt was! Betcha it was waaaaaaay more than that.

And that was half the problem: you bought in very cheaply but then stood the risk that the whole complex would go belly up because people would default on maintenance payments (mostly their share of the mortgage) and be taken over by the banks. And then your stockholder's rights AND your $3500 would all go up in smoke. Turned out that the economy turned with the Clinton years and almost NONE of these co-ops failed.

BUT the other half of the problem is buying an apartment occupied by Mrs. Methusalah, all of whose ancestry lived to be centenarians, who had 37 great grandchildren able to claim they lived with her when she finally kicked off.

But though you couldn't get an unoccupied apartment for $3500, you could usually get one for double or triple that and those that bought in to ANY of them made a kiling that rivalled the Dutch deal (or the Astors.)
Not buying at one of these auctions is one of my deeper regrets. (I don't have many.)
Problem was that at the time you could RENT a comparable apartment at quite a bit less than the maintenance payments of any of these co-op conversions. That's what gave me pause.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-11-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: