Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
We will..and whole foods even provides the lube for us.....organic too! And you can enjoy C-Town and Fine Fare! Once you cut off the brown parts of the meat, or shave off the mold from the peaches, it won't make you that sick.
^^Amen!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I expect a very smooth transition. The demand is there. This has been long in the making.
You know, I agree with you 100% on that. But its very unfortunate that these companies only deem it OK to plant seeds in areas that seem to be on the "G" train. There have always been high salary earners in every corner of Manhattan, Uptown no different. I for one dont like the fact that some think this phenomenon is just happening. But to those who would shop there and no longer have to travel downtown, its a good thing and I welcome any newness to the area.I am, however, for investing in areas before the demographic switch myself...

Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
A few years ago I was on the Whole Foods site and was on their section that mentions upcoming locations. I was very turned off by the fact that they called out that they only open locations in neighborhoods that "have high levels of income and education." Now, truth be told, I completely understand why that is (or was) their policy but was really put off about how frank they were about the fact that they only serve locations with this demographic. After I read that policy, which by the way is no longer anywhere to be found on their site, I decided that my visits to them would be far and few in between and most of my "whole food" shopping would go to Fairway and Trader Joe's.

I don't really see the entrance into Harlem as being a divergence from this policy. As many on this site can attest, Harlem/uptown has it's fair share of higher income earners, as well as people that prefer to shop organically, to justify the location.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
[quote=jad2k;24655969]A few years ago I was on the Whole Foods site and was on their section that mentions upcoming locations. I was very turned off by the fact that they called out that they only open locations in neighborhoods that "have high levels of income and education." Now, truth be told, I completely understand why that is (or was) their policy but was really put off about how frank they were about the fact that they only serve locations with this demographic. After I read that policy, which by the way is no longer anywhere to be found on their site, I decided that my visits to them would be far and few in between and most of my "whole food" shopping would go to Fairway and Trader Joe's.

I don't really see the entrance into Harlem as being a divergence from this policy. As many on this site can attest, Harlem/uptown has it's fair share of higher income earners, as well as people that prefer to shop organically, to justify the location.[/quote]

...My thoughts exactly

Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM

208 posts, read 464,248 times
I lived in Harlem 12 years ago and the grocery stores in the neighborhood then (most of which are now closed) were so sad with the quality of fresh foods. Basically you could stop in for something canned or boxed but if you need fruits and veggies, you had to get those downtown before you hopped on the train home. I'm glad Whole Foods is coming, I only wish it were there back in 2000.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
You know, I agree with you 100% on that. But its very unfortunate that these companies only deem it OK to plant seeds in areas that seem to be on the "G" train. There have always been high salary earners in every corner of Manhattan, Uptown no different. I for one dont like the fact that some think this phenomenon is just happening. But to those who would shop there and no longer have to travel downtown, its a good thing and I welcome any newness to the area.I am, however, for investing in areas before the demographic switch myself...
I don't think Whole Foods or any other retailer would use a location with only G train service…

Just kidding, but it's a matter of cost-effectiveness. Whole Foods' business model relies on being a destination that brings in people, then raking in money after showing staying power. What I do like is that a WF doesn't really take neighborhoods that have smaller grocery stores, but rather complements them and increases competition. Even Whole Foods shoppers go elsewhere for a number of purchases, and the relatively high prices keep moderately-priced stores in business.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM

88 posts, read 263,603 times
I think that would be great for harlem. More jobs, more employed people, less scum bags working the system, less "queens", rent will go up, gentrification will follow and their meat selection is decent. As for the prices, it will be cheaper than the downtown areas since its cheaper to rent in harlem and the neighborhood's income is less than downtown. Same goes for fairway. The price for a steak at the fairway on 125th is different than the one on 79th. The supermarkets downtown also charge different for groceries since the income is higher over there, compare is to key food on 92nd and 2nd. See for yourself if you dont believe me

Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
I think that would be great for harlem. More jobs, more employed people, less scum bags working the system, less "queens", rent will go up, gentrification will follow and their meat selection is decent. As for the prices, it will be cheaper than the downtown areas since its cheaper to rent in harlem and the neighborhood's income is less than downtown. Same goes for fairway. The price for a steak at the fairway on 125th is different than the one on 79th. The supermarkets downtown also charge different for groceries since the income is higher over there, compare is to key food on 92nd and 2nd. See for yourself if you dont believe me
I dont think anyone here has stated that it wouldnt be good, I actually stated that for those who would like nto shop there, it is a good thing. My only argument is that they tend to follow the "G" Train. Gentrification. As to the highlights of your post: Do you live in Harlem and is this what you desire as a resident? I am a 6 figure income in Harlem, I am Gentrification, but I'm black so I dont count. Whole Foods is not a Gentrification driver in my eyes and to say that rents will go up due to their presence and life will get better as if its in the dumps now is hardly true. I think it would be a good addition to the stores already present Uptown. And each business has a feasability model it follows so for them to think that this store could/would work they must see something in the buying power of the already present residents. If others choose to reside Uptown afterwards then fine, I just think it foolish to do so AFTER a Whole Foods is present. Do it now.

Oh, this is not to discredit your post or opinion.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Just because you are black does not mean you ain't riding the G train. In fact it is the higher income people of color who are driving that train in Harlem and the Southern Bronx...everyone else is just a passenger on that train. So it really is mostly "your fault." Whole Foods is not a gentrification driver, it is a product of gentrification...whole foods doesn't enter a nabe until it already meets its requirement, not before. Harlem (and all of Uptown/Southern Bronx really) has officially arrived, at least as far as Whole Foods is concerned.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
It's not gentrification, the demand has been there for a long time already. People were flipping out when fresh & direct started to deliver uptown. It's not that serious, its just another grocery store. I'd love it if they opened a Trader Joes uptown as well (I think The Bronx is ripe for a TJ's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City