Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM

61 posts, read 117,964 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I posted a thread here two years ago about moving from Montreal to NYC (the thread can be viewed here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...treal-nyc.html) and I just read it over and it is amazing how much of the advice given has applied to my situation. This was almost 2 years ago, and now that I'm making the move, I read over the advice and almost all of it has rung true in my search.

The advice given was generally: get more professional work experience before moving to NY (I did that in Montreal, and now I'm happy I won't have to worry about not being able to find an office job in NY if I need one), looks in Queens as well as Brooklyn, etc.

Well, most of my search, I forgot the advice about Queens, and kept looking in the areas I was set on 2 years ago: Williamsburg/East Williamsburg/Bushwick. AND all the other advice rung true: Williamsburg is too expensive, and the areas in proximity are not worth the price for the area.

So I've found a place in Elmhurst, Queens, with 3 other people, for 500 a month, a seven minute walk from the Grand Ave -Newtown M-R subway. It's cheaper than most places I've found in Bushwick, nicer neighborhood, safer, etc.

I just have two questions in regards to the commute. I'll be attending the New School, so I expect about 40 minutes or so to get to that area of Manhattan. However, I'm also concerned about the social aspect of it. Even though I won't be living in the "hip" neighborhoods of Manhattan or Brooklyn, I imagine I'll still go out at nights in LES, East Village, Williamsburg, Bushwick, etc. I understand that the trains are slower and less reliable at night. Should this affect my decision to move to this area in Queens with cheap rent? I've heard it can take up to two hours when coming back at 3 or 4 AM. If this is the case, it's worth mentioning that I also bike frequently... so maybe biking would be better.

I don't care if I'm not living in a stereotypical hip neighborhood, but I will want to go out in those neighborhoods, but then go home, so I'm just looking to get some advice on if going back to Elmhurst at 3 AM from the above mentioned places, and where ever, places like Hell's Kitchen, etc., will be a big project each weekend... because if so, then I might keep looking in Bushwick, or up my price range to Williamsburg. How reliable is the NY subway? How much should it affect someone decision on how far out to live, in terms of coming back late at night?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
The M and the R are kind of slow even when it's not late at night. It's not going to be so much the commute, but just the long wait for the train to show up at that hour. I think people telling you it will take 2 hours though is grossly exaggerated. Maybe an hour, but not 2.

I would up the range a bit and look at Astoria, you can easily find a roommate situation there for about $700. If that's out of your price range, then I would stick with Elmhurst.

While yes Bushwick will be cheaper than Williamsburg, the issue is you will be primarily stuck with the L train which is crowded regardless of the hour. Even with the added trains, it's still running at 98% capacity. Plus some blocks in Bushwick are seriously still not that safe.

Another alternative might be Jackson Heights, since you're not concerned about living in a hip area. You'll have access to more trains, which means a faster commute home late at night and more options.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
You might want to look in Kew Gardens, which is on an express station, so you're not forced to depend on the (R) local. In any case, Bushwick won't be much better because there are times when they shut down the (L) and have shuttle buses (that's always fun!) I think the Queens Blvd Line is less prone to shutdowns compared to other lines.

At night, the (E) runs local, and it's only the (F) express. The trains run less frequently, but that applies systemwide (all lines across the city run every 20 minutes, from busy lines like the (4) and (L) to little shuttle lines like the one out in the Rockaways). You're really not going to do much better in Bushwick than on the QBL (and aside from that, Bushwick's not the greatest area to be coming home to at 3AM)

Actually, I think Elmhurst would give you a little better access to Manhattan, since the lines run north-south in Manhattan, whereas the (L) only directly serves the areas near 14th Street.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
I higly suggest you look into all of the Queens nabes that the R runs through before you even remotely consider Buswick.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I believe between Midnight to 5AM the E express runs local instead of R/M trains that don't run at that time of night. Therefore the commute is not too bad as you don't have to wait to switch from the local to the express train. But of course at that time of night the frequency of all subway trains is relatively low.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
i think 2 hrs is an exaggeration but yes, trains are slower during those times.
this is not only for queens, its all transit lines. they all move slower

Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM

255 posts, read 475,874 times
They are not slower. There are just less trains running on a route which means the spacing is wider. Trains tend to move quicker overnight.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM

61 posts, read 117,964 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Why is the L train so crowded/at capacity? If that's the case, and everyone is using it because they live in BK, then why are neighborhoods that it runs along - like Bushwick - still not so great?

What is the difference between a "local" and "express" train? I imagine the express has less stops?

Chava61 said " I believe between Midnight to 5AM the E express runs local instead of R/M trains that don't run at that time of night. Therefore the commute is not too bad as you don't have to wait to switch from the local to the express train. But of course at that time of night the frequency of all subway trains is relatively low."

Why would I have to switch from the local to the express train?

In any case, it sounds like people are saying Bushwick wouldn't be that much better - even around the Morgan L? And can anyone address my concerns RE:, if I'm mostly hanging out in Williamsburg, LES, EV, etc., is living in an area like Elmhurst a big deal.... I guess what I'm trying to say, how important is it to live in the area that you identify with the things you are into? Or is that something I can gradually work my way into after getting to know NYC better?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcommie View Post
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Why is the L train so crowded/at capacity? If that's the case, and everyone is using it because they live in BK, then why are neighborhoods that it runs along - like Bushwick - still not so great?

What is the difference between a "local" and "express" train? I imagine the express has less stops?

Chava61 said " I believe between Midnight to 5AM the E express runs local instead of R/M trains that don't run at that time of night. Therefore the commute is not too bad as you don't have to wait to switch from the local to the express train. But of course at that time of night the frequency of all subway trains is relatively low."

Why would I have to switch from the local to the express train?

In any case, it sounds like people are saying Bushwick wouldn't be that much better - even around the Morgan L? And can anyone address my concerns RE:, if I'm mostly hanging out in Williamsburg, LES, EV, etc., is living in an area like Elmhurst a big deal.... I guess what I'm trying to say, how important is it to live in the area that you identify with the things you are into? Or is that something I can gradually work my way into after getting to know NYC better?
The L train is so crowded because of the recent influx of residents to that line. 10-15 years ago most people would have never moved to these areas.

Local trains go to every stop while express trains skip stops. If your destination is on an express stop but you are on a local train you might transfer to an express to save time on your commute.

I would advise against Bushwick- it is still sketchy and while Elmhurst may not be hip, it is much safer than Bushwick. If you really want to go to these areas you can take the M train to 21st/Ely transfer for the G train to get you to Williamsburg area or you can even do what I used to do- hop on the Q59 right in front of Target and it will take you to Williamsburg as well in around 40 minutes.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcommie View Post
If that's the case, and everyone is using it because they live in BK, then why are neighborhoods that it runs along - like Bushwick - still not so great?
A crowded subway line is no guarantee of good neighborhoods along it. If you imagine how the sea and beach interact, the sea only goes in so far. There is always a band of wet sand, and then beyond it, dry sand. So think of Manhattan's vitality as the sea, the first 3 Brooklyn L stops as the wet sand, and then anything after gets rather like dry sand (then drier, and drier). This is why I find it laughable when brokers try to push the farther L stations as "the next big thing". They've been saying that for years, but again, a sea can only reach and moisten so much sand. Some parts will always stay dry. Gut instincts tell me folks who bought the sales pitch from brokers tend to say "This isn't the next big thing!" and then move out. After Graham, there tends to be alot of U-Haul activity (i.e., folks moving out, only to be replaced by the new and uninitiated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City